DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIAM 2017

colonial

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

This probably belongs in some other thread I don't read for whatever reason but Basil Gogos, artist of all the classic Famous Monsters of Filmland covers, etc. has passed away. Since most of his art had to do with movies I thought it appropriate to note here. 

c2645d_3e4110ffbb34408e983d4b5d07878173.

RIP

EDIT: "most of his art that I was aware of" is how I should have phrased that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Gogos

This also makes me sad.  I had a large collection of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines and a lot of them were Gogos covers. 

Sold them to a collector before I went to college.

His images were an important part of my evolution into a horror maven.

RIP

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mention this here due to the massive move-in tie in

Jake LaMotta died at the age of 95

I just posted that in the Random Boxing News thread in the Boxing / MMA forum because you know him being a boxer and all.

8 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Bernie Casey gone at 78.

Too many good roles for me to pick one.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bernie-casey-dead-actor-nfl-910749

I am bummed.  Bernie Casey was a great actor and was one of my role models when I was a kid.

He played smart, tough black men and that made me want to grow up to be a smart, tough black man.

RIP.

First Jim Kelly in 2013 and now Bernie Casey.  My childhood heroes are passing away one by one. :(

I'm so glad someone posted that clip, I remember watching that when it happened and I thought how awesome Monty still was even at his age.  He made the most out of the agony of defeat AND the thrill of victory.

Monty did a killer WTF podcast with Marc Maron a few years ago that is definitely worth checking out.  He really does come off as the most laid-back, "enjoying life while I got it" kind of guy.