DVDVR Message Board

IN MEMORIAM 2017

colonial

Don't forget that wonderfully cute animated movie for the whole family, Watership Down, which my father rented from the library for five-year-old me because he thought it was a Disney movie about cute, fluffy bunnies. THANKS, DAD!

It wasn't the English version, so I was deprived of John Hurt's voice, but I'll be fucked if I'll see that movie again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roman said:

Don't forget that wonderfully cute animated movie for the whole family, Watership Down, which my father rented from the library for five-year-old me because he thought it was a Disney movie about cute, fluffy bunnies. THANKS, DAD!

It wasn't the English version, so I was deprived of John Hurt's voice, but I'll be fucked if I'll see that movie again.

I loved that film when I was six. Better than any of that Disney bollocks.

I've never watched The Elephant Man, and after seeing the clip that J.T. posted I won't be able to. I'm comfortable with a level of deep, deep depression and sadness in films but that takes the cake. 

That should be an Empathy Litmus Test. If you watch it and don't cry, you should be shot in the head. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never watched The Elephant Man, and after seeing the clip that J.T. posted I won't be able to. I'm comfortable with a level of deep, deep depression and sadness in films but that takes the cake. 

That should be an Empathy Litmus Test. If you watch it and don't cry, you should be shot in the head. 

Oh, but that movie is so good though.  Just man up and watch it and accept the fact that you will be a blubbering mess when the end credits roll.

I went to see it with my mom when I was a kid and we had to go out for ice cream to cheer ourselves up.   It is THAT moving.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, piranesi said:

An entire new generation is waking up today to finally learn who a bunch of oldies hip hop references were about.

At the height of People's Court mania, only 9% of Americans could name the CJSCOTUS while 54% of Americans knew who Judge Wapner was.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

According to Twitter - Robert Osborne - host on TCM - has died at the age of 84

Damn.  A film historian and scholar whose opinion I valued highly.

RIP.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

According to Twitter - Robert Osborne - host on TCM - has died at the age of 84

Damn, that sucks.  My mom watches TCM all the time and really like Robert as host.  I know they have the youngerish guy there who's good, but he's not Robert.  Didn't realize he was that old, to me he seemed to be at most in his early 70s.  RIP, Robert.