DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is CJ LUNDE - 1/10/17

Peck

It's amazing how much better SDL is then Raw. It's getting to be sad at this point.

Also, bring back CJ! Who was that? For years, my mom had complained that women's wrestling wasn't like how it was in the 70's, with women wearing bathing suits. She was speechless when she saw CJ tonight.

• Like 1

Man, that Nikki-Nattie brawl/match was one of the most hate-filled segments on WWE TV this year.  Watch Nattie kick Nikki square in the face! Watch Nikki slam the back of Nattie's head into the protective mats on the floor!  Watch Nattie slap Nikki right in the face, then continue to punch her in the same spot as Nikki tries to cover up!  Watch Nikki run across the ring and hit Nattie at full speed!  Cap it off with a particuarly mean-looking sharpshooter that I'm sure Nikki was trying to modify to avoid hurting Nikki's surgically-repaired neck but looked like absolute murder on the back and knees!  Put these two in a cage!

• Like 5

Took the flatliner like a champ, that CJ did.

Not the best Smackdown but everything had a purpose and honestly that's more than I can say of Raw 99% of the time.

Edit: is there a list of inside jokes on Arn? Gets me every time.

Really good tag titles match. Harper continues to cost the Wyatts. Solid tension in the post-match. Natalya/Nikki brawl ruled.  Miz/Ambrose was kept rather short this week but a fun segment to continue their feud. Really looking forward to Alexa/Becky in the cage, one of my favorite feuds. Cool to see Thunderkitty on SDL. Cena/Corbin was good stuff while it lasted, surprised to see Cena actually win with the 5 knuckle shuffle into the AA without it being countered. Feeling like Styles will retain at the Rumble but not sure of the Mania direction if so.

Talking Smack recap:

- No DBry even though he was in the building.  I suspect someone in management finally showed it to Vince.

- Alexa's line about nobody wishing her well about dislocating her elbow two weeks ago except one person and it was a wrong number was great.

- Mojo's interview was pretty good, though it was odd having Tranquillo Mojo.

- I really hope they don't play that Dolph segment next week on Smackdown to explain his heel turn because it was poor.

2 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

For all the love SDL gets, it must be acknowledged that American Alpha is less over today than the night they were drafted. There's something wrong there.

Their personalities were endearing for people who followed their journey in NXT but to a fresh audience, they come off very lame in promos.

That being said, they can overcome it in the ring. Nobody cared about them coming out but the match was strong and by the end of it, they had the crowd. A lot of the credit for that goes to Orton and Wyatt but Alpha looked like they belonged in there with them.

AA vs. Wyatts was damn good. The Miz/Ambrose segment was fun. Dolph/Kalisto was decent. I liked Ziggler's break down afterward. I hated his Talking Smack interview which completely made no sense considering the heel turn.

Mojo on Talking Smack was really good. I hope they manage to come up with something decent for him.

The Nikki/Nattie brawl was great, and I hope we get more of it in the future. Its a pity they are doing Alexa/Becky in a cage match next week because it would have been perfect for Nikki & Nattie.

Cena/Corbin was solid though I wish it took more for Corbin to go down.

3 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

Their personalities were endearing for people who followed their journey in NXT but to a fresh audience, they come off very lame in promos.

That being said, they can overcome it in the ring. Nobody cared about them coming out but the match was strong and by the end of it, they had the crowd. A lot of the credit for that goes to Orton and Wyatt but Alpha looked like they belonged in there with them.

I blame the booking more than anything. They were mired in obscurity for months after the draft, then they lose a #1 contender battle royal, but get placed into the tag title match because of Ryder's injury and randomly get this big conquering win over a Wyatt team that fans weren't really ready to see get conquered yet. It feels a little like too much all at once for a team that was stuck in neutral for so long.

10 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

I blame the booking more than anything. They were mired in obscurity for months after the draft, then they lose a #1 contender battle royal, but get placed into the tag title match because of Ryder's injury and randomly get this big conquering win over a Wyatt team that fans weren't really ready to see get conquered yet. It feels a little like too much all at once for a team that was stuck in neutral for so long.

Its clear AA was supposed to feud with the Usos over the titles. Slater catching fire and WWE wanting to capitalize on it sort of through a wrench into that whole idea.

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Talking Smack recap:

- No DBry even though he was in the building.  I suspect someone in management finally showed it to Vince.

Showed what to Vince?

Edit: Oh, I read it wrong. I still find it hard to believe considering how vastly different RAW and Smackdown are, Vince is in charge of both shows.

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Edit: Oh, I read it wrong. I still find it hard to believe considering how vastly different RAW and Smackdown are, Vince is in charge of both shows.

It makes sense is Vince views the shows differently. If he views RAW as something that needs to be more sports entertainment and showcase certain people because it's the flagship show and he views Smackdown Live as a more traditional pro-wrestling show where they don't need to focus so much on sports entertainment and a certain character or two. Then it makes sense that RAW and Smackdown are so different. Vince McMahon is a top pro-wrestling promoter so it's not surprising he can put on a great pro-wrestling show when he wants to. Plus my guess is Stephanie prefers the RAW style show so she can influence her father in that respect while Jesse James and certain other people are pushing for a more pro-wrestling aspect to Smackdown.

God, that Lunde / Carmilla match... Was the Flatliner botch due to Ellsworth holding Lunde's foot and making her slip before Carmilla got set, or is Carmilla just that sloppy and green?

AA vs. Wyatt's was really solid.  Not sure why they're slow burning the split since it seems obvious that there will be a split and Harper will most likely get screwed.

Corbin vs. Cena was a match.  Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible either.  I kinda wish Corbin would've gone over or would've at least lost by DQ via smashing Cena's brains in with a chair.  No matter how many times Cena jobs, he'll still be in the title hunt, so let's work on boosting Baron's status with quality wins or heel beatdowns, shall we?

Nattie vs. Nikki.  Falls Count Anywhere No DQ Chicago Street Fight Come As You Are Bring Your Own Weapons.  BOOK IT~!

I love Alexa and I love Becky, but I am not sure if I love the idea of them being in a steel cage unless one of them goes full on Megumi Kudo and bleeds buckets which probably won't happen on regular TV,