DVDVR Message Board

FLOSLAM/WWN HAS OFFICIALLY HIT TIRE FIRE THREAD STATUS

Watched that FIP main event and, well, yeah, that was a thing. But I'm starting to really fall in love with Jason Kincaid - what a distinct wrestler. The 619 in the weird upstairs of that plant warehouse just put a big old smile on my face.

• Like 2

Kincaid could be the most creative guy I've ever seen. He's got a ways to go to being great but he's got a lot of potential. He has a unique look along with some interesting mannerisms, is a very good athlete, and yeah, the movez 4 u. A lot of fun to watch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that these higher level indies like House of Hardcore or EVOLVE use the local people to make these rings.  People they probably have never dealt with.   Maybe because unlike other indies they don't have trainees or rookies that are usually used for this as a way to learn the business.   

The 2nd rope broke as Pete Kaasa was doing a moonsault in the opening match so that was terrifying.

They cobbled the ring together and then in the Chris Hero/Keith Lee match the top rope AND middle rope broke at two different moments.

Thankfully Lee and Hero were fine. Kaasa clearly was at least shaken up though Gabe said after that he was "ok"

Excalibur tweeted that no one has had as many matches in a broken ring as Chris Hero has

17 hours ago, hammerva said:

It seems to me that these higher level indies like House of Hardcore or EVOLVE use the local people to make these rings.  People they probably have never dealt with.   Maybe because unlike other indies they don't have trainees or rookies that are usually used for this as a way to learn the business.   

Yeah, when House of Hardcore was here in Houston last summer, Dreamer borrowed one of Booker T's rings.

Okay, so the Keith Lee pop-up last ride on Hero on the Friday show is one of the best things I've ever seen in a ring (albeit a broken one). Hero went for the RVD sell job for Tommy's piledriver and he's Chris fucking Hero. Bounced sooo high.

Hero's snap tombstone on ZSJ was fucking unreal and gorgeous too. The shows were sometimes hard to get into because Evolve crowds generally suck and the acoustics were terrible. And the ring for the Friday show. The Darby Allin 6-man on the Saturday show overdelivered. Best I've seen Ethan Page look, his goon squad was tremendous and that jabrone they had was PERFECT. I loved it so much.

Also this:

Matt Riddle is the fucking man and the Taylor garbage match was a lot of fun. Couple of fun shows but I don't think I love EVOLVE as some do. I'll give them another shot though.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my girlfriend lives 10 miles south of Joppa, finally bit the bullet on checking out an EVOLVE show with a ticket to next Friday's EVOLVE 78.  Riddle, Yehi, ZSJ, Keith Lee, Jeff Cobb, ACH, and company sound like a great way to spend a night.

Next Friday?  Holy bats time flies, I'll have to check that out.  Which means I need to catch up on recent Evolve shows, especially since my old friend Trevin Adams keeps asking me if I did.  Thank goodness for FloSlam.

Evolve Friday is getting ZSJ vs. Keith Lee.  I am undoubtedly very excited to see what they bring to this match.  With Lee that won't allow Zack to go full pretentious like he tends to do and will need to bring some intensity to counter what Keith can do.  It might not be MOTY, but it's going to be a damn good match.

• Like 1

Really fun show tonight, with a significantly more packed La Boom than the past few shows, and if you're in NYC and not going to these shows I would very highly recommend it.

- I'm starting to really like Jaka. His match with Gulak was my match of the night last time out and he brought it against Cobb, whose strength spots looked even more awesome than usual tonight. Word to Phil's live blog re: that Tour of the Islands.

- My first time seeing Keith Lee live tonight and he was just as cool as he is on tape. I'm still not quite sure how Tracy Williams makes these matches against bigger guys work while looking like he should be working at a design startup, but he was great against Chris Hero here a few months ago and this match was very enjoyable as well.

- I guess I don't really know how arms and shoulders work but that Darby Allin shit was absolutely bonkers.

- It was nice being there for the title change and I enjoyed that match a lot, lots of people hitting each other while in submissions, which always makes me happy. Couple that with some really encouraging words from ZSJ at the end of the show and I couldn't have been sent home much happier.

Keith Lee has this weird aura about him that is really cool.  He should be this monster given how thick he is but he comes off really cool as a cucumber in his mannerism.  Even when he is talking shit to fans it is so different given his size.   

I haven't followed EVOLVE as much as I should but man I had no idea how much people despised Timothy Thatcher.  And I don't think it is become he is with Stokely either.  I admit that his style is a serious throwback from current wrestling but I love to see it.   Not sure if it is style in the ring or that he was champion for over a year but that I never heard an WWN crowd lose their shit for a win like that 

Thoughts from Friday's show:

Riddle/Anthony Henry was a hell of a choice to start things off.  Definitely went full mid-2000s AMERICAN STRONG STYLE~ and got sloppy late, but undeniably a high energy opener.

The whole undercard was pretty satisfying - I like EVOLVE having guys like Darby Allin and Jason Kincaid and Dickinson/Jaka in the mix to bring the energy and character work early while working off bases like Page and the Gatekeepers.  Also, I was on the end of the second row in the section where Austin Theory ate it, and was shocked he was able to keep going, especially given the initial reaction of everyone up front.

ACH/Hot Sauce seemed to start a bit slow, but really got going late.  Loved ACH's reception.  Galloway/Cobb brought the beef and all of Cobb's awesome power spots on Galloway.  Finish felt pretty sudden in person, but a pretty wild reversal.

Keith Lee/ZSJ was my main reason for being there, and it did not disappoint.  Like others, I've been down on Sabre Jr. at times, but he was awesome in this as he spider-monkeyed his way through and up and around Lee's onslaught.  Everything about Keith Lee is awesome.  This match was awesome.

The above left me more than a bit drained going into the main, but it was definitely very good.  Thatcher did his thing (to the chagrin of many), and Fred Yehi (who was stupidly over) looked fantastic.  Seemed like the finish came almost out of nowhere, but again, Lee/ZSJ refractory period.

• Like 1

I had a blast Friday, and it being her first time going my wife enjoyed the hell out of it as well.  I don't have any faces to go with your names, but if I happen to see you guys in August I'd love to stop by and say hi.  My picture's in the Hardy thread from a couple weeks ago.

I thought for sure Austin was done for after he Sabu'd himself.  That was brutal, but we loved that he continued the match.  Keith Lee is a beast live and I loved everything he did.  I never thought of Thatcher the way Phil did, but I can kind of see it.  And since he doesn't do social media it's hard to grasp where he might stand on that.  As a just in case it's for the best.  But I liked the first half where it seemed like a struggle to get any meaningful offense in.  It's different from anything I saw that night which I liked.

As for non-show notes meeting the wrestlers is one of the more satisfying parts of Evolve shows.  They're selling their merch but are so damn happy to be there.  MCW has merch tables but too it's a crapshoot with the attitudes, some are cool but many look very bored being there.  But it's really awesome being able to chat with Jeff Cobb, Matt Riddle, Jason Kincaid, Fred Yehi and Stokely.  All were super cool and as far as lasting impressions that can't be beat.  And Trevin Adams can be annoying at times, but he's an old friend of ours and will go out of his way to accommodate people.  A friend of ours works at a company that helps special needs people and they had their own section.  When not doing his duties Trevin would make sure they were good and had Yehi come out just to talk to some of them after the show.  He's a pretty good dude.

It might be a small show compared to New York with the title change (still need to watch that)  But when you see how much everybody cares about what they do at Evolve you can't help but want to support them as much as possible.  If there's a show that is near you definitely check it out.

• Like 1