DVDVR Message Board

FLOSLAM/WWN HAS OFFICIALLY HIT TIRE FIRE THREAD STATUS

On 4/2/2017 at 0:25 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Good Gawd did Darby Allin channel Spike Dudley in his match with Ethan Page. 

Overall the supershow show was the best of the 3 shows even without sound. 

I know this has been said with multiple people but Darby Allin is future generations Cactus Jack.   Except I don't see Allin having that Mr Socko moment where he realizes how much more money he could have made with a goofy gimmick instead of doing bat shit crazy things like taken unprotected bumps and dives INSIDE A FUCKING BODY BAG :o

Because all fucking need this in your life (despite your claims you don't care)

It’s something that a lot of people wouldn’t like but this audience loved it. With so many guys, all out there with their working shoes on, you probably had as many crazy spots by talented people as you’d ever see. I’d go ****½ with it and a lot of people went ***** saying it was the perfect match for that crowd. To me, going ***** means unreal heat, and this had huge reactions to the big spots but it wasn’t heat for the match itself. Part of it was this was a very tired crowd since most were around all day getting autographs and this was late at night. Throughout the show, it was quiet no matter what was going on and reacting really big to cool moves and ring entrances, in a weird way like attending an 80s WWF house show except obviously light years ahead in the cool moves department. This match was pretty much a collection of your cool moves match times ten.

Some compared it to the PWG match with Ricochet & Matt Sydal & Ospreay vs. Young Bucks & Adam Cole, but that match had far more sustained heat and a much better build to the finish, and it felt like people were trying to win a match while this match felt like people were trying to entertain you in the best way possible.

Meltzer in the newest WON re: the Ten Man Tag from WrestleCon

He's not wrong about the crowd and the companion to the BOLA tag, though that wasn't some kind of masterpiece in psychology. 

The crowds last week wanted fun spots. The match gave it to them in spades. Oh, and Drew Galloway danced and did a rad dive. 

Guest Edwin

Watching ZSJ vs. Mark Haskins from the WWN Supershow. Man ZSJ's matches are tough to sit through. He seems to pride himself as this complex grappler, but I just don't see it. As I said the last time around, if he's going to pride himself as a grappler, he really should get some tips from Riddle or take a BJJ class at least.

I don't mind guys with horrendous business exposing grappling as much as I do in this case as they usually don't build themselves around that, but ZSJ to me seems like he does and it's horrible.

I know it sounds like I'm picking on ZSJ and I know someone will bring it up, but I'm really not. If you build yourself on something, try and come off as a genuine and good as possible.

He seems to be more focused on cute submission attempts than on effective subs.

His strikes are particularly weak looking too. Haskins leg kicks seemed far more effective than his. I also caught that clip of him "killing" Chris Hero from PWG and those "stomps" looked more like he was just caressing Hero's head with his foot than anything else. He still doesn't posses the weakest/fakest striking in wrestling though, that's Michael Elgin's claim by a long shot with his blatant thigh slapping.

Another thing that irks me about ZSJ is how many times I've heard people compare his matches to that of MMA fights. That's just wrong on so many levels. If anything, ZSJ reflects the entire opposite.

I personally don't find him appealing at all, but I can't say I blame him as he's built a solid fanbase so more power to him.

This was honestly pretty disappointing. They didn't get inventive enough with usage of the ropes or rails though there are a couple cool ones and, plain and simple, it just wasn't violent enough. Riddle looked wack on his opening run-in too, if you're gonna do that really beat somebody down. This is the first time I've seen Thatcher though and maybe it's just because I had dental work last week but his nasty grill immediately makes me like him. I had high hopes for this one but it didn't stack up. Still, a fun match despite the constant "bro" chants... I really don't want one of the best wrestlers of the next decade to remind me of drunken frat assholes, but that's not up to me I guess. 

Evolve debuts in the Detroit Area on May 21st with what looks like a bonkers main event. And a Norman Smiley autograph signing.

http://wwnlive.com/2017/04/28/meet-big-wiggle-norman-smiley-evolve-85-detroit-area/

EVOLVE will come to the Detroit area for the first time on May 21st. Tickets and info are available here for this special event that includes a chance a meet & greet with “The Big Wiggle” Norman Smiley. We have two match announcements:
Lio Rush 
wants a rematch against EVOLVE Champion Zack Sabre Jr. after their tremendous match last Sunday at EVOLVE 83. He’ll get it in Livonia, MI at EVOLVE 85! If Sabre Jr. is still champion, this will be a title match!
Kyle O’Reilly vs. Tracy Williams in a battle of two technical hard-hitters comes to EVOLVE 85 in the Detroit area!

Here’s what’s announced for EVOLVE 85 so far:
EVOLVE Championship Match (If Sabre Jr. is still champion)
Zack Sabre Jr. defends vs. Lio Rush
WWN Championship Match (if Riddle is still champion)
Matt Riddle defends vs. Jeff Cobb
Special Challenge Match
Tracy Williams with Stokely Hathaway vs. Kyle O’Reilly
Plus more to be announced with:

-EVOLVE Tag Team Champions Chris Dickinson & Jaka with Stokely Hathaway
-Fred Yehi
-Ethan Page
-Keith Lee
-Donovan Dijak
-Jason Kincaid
-Austin Theory
-Priscilla Kelly
-Plus more to be added!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I might as well cancel until I feel spending for the full year is good for me.   Right now the price of paying monthly for 12 months is like paying for 2 1/2 years of the yearly subscription.   

Just another reason why the Highspots Network is the easy #2 service right now. 

EDIT: It is now believed that the $30 a month is tied to new subscribers and not current subscribers.  Wish I had known that after I cancelled even though $20 a month is a bit much as well.  

Well not really a good day for WWNLive.  It was announced that the next Style Battle show was going to feature SHLAK along with Matt Tremont and a few other guys.  I can see why you would book him because while inexperienced he is one of the more unique and crazy guys in the indies right now.   Well this pissed off a lot of people because SHLAK (I always say his name upper case cause it make sense for him) likes to hang out with Neo Nazis who are wrestling fans. I unfortunately learned today that there is a white nationalist wrestling podcast.  He claims to not be a Nazi himself (kind of debatable) but those guys have been his friends for years and they have the same likes.

Gabe has pulled him from the show claiming he didn't know about his story.   I would hope he didn't know.  

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how it came across on tape, but the Evolve crowd tonight was (maybe aside from the Page/Gatekeeper and Theory/Trent matches) super hot live, and the matches really, really delivered. ACH and Tracy Williams have an unexpectedly great chemistry; that was their second match of the year i liked a lot. Yehi and Dickinson were intense as expected. I"m not sure anyone really believed Jaka would go over ZSJ for the Evolve Title, but they worked their asses off. And I thought Thatcher/Kincaid just killed it with their style clash. I'm excited to watch this all again with a more sober eye, but I think there's a chance that the very fun Riddle/Lee main event might have been my fifth favorite match of the night. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...