DVDVR Message Board

4th Annual Them's Fightin' Words Awards: Worst Fight of the Year

Elsalvajeloco

4th Annual Them's Fightin' Words Awards: Worst Fight of the Year  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What was the worst fight of 2016?

• ROY NELSON VS. JARED ROSHOLT (2/6/2016)
    • KIMBO SLICE VS. DADA 5000 (2/19/2016)
    • RAFAEL CARVALHO VS. MELVIN MANHOEF (5/20/2016)
    • JOHN MORAGA VS. MATHEUS NICOLAU PEREIRA (7/8/2016)
    • MARYNA MOROZ VS. DANIELLE TAYLOR (8/6/2016)
    • GABRIELLE GARCIA VS. YUMIKO HOTTA (12/31/2016)

This poll is closed to new votes

The nominees are...

Roy-Nelson-Jared-Rosholt.jpg

ROY NELSON W-DEC3 JARED ROSHOLT (UFC Fight Night 82: Hendricks vs. Thompson, 2/6/2016)
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Perhaps the worst thing to happened to a card where a title fight main event fell off twice forcing it to free TV was an unmotivated Roy Nelson having to chase down a defensive Jared Rosholt for fifteen grueling, agonizing minutes.

12_Kimbo_Slice_V_Dada_5000_9233.0.0_1_cr

KIMBO SLICE NC DADA 5000 ( Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie III, 2/19/2016)
Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

You know those epic, historic turn-of-the-century boxing matches that took place in the hot summer heat, were brutal from start to finish, and lasted for hours? This would be one if you were on a bunch of schedule III & IV substances. Probably.

20160522023523_1DX_6876.JPG

RAFAEL CARVALHO W-DEC5 MELVIN MANHOEF (Bellator 155: Carvalho vs. Manhoef, 5/20/2016)
Boise, ID (CenturyLink Center)

At best, Rafael Carvalho is a poor man's Ricardo Arona clone who offers you a potential solid addition to the middleweight division. At worst, he throws a single digit number of a strikes in a five minute opening round of a championship bout that was contested on the feet for 95% of the time. Yet, somehow a befuddled Melvin Manhoef decided to land an occasional leg kick and follow the Brazilian around giving the bargain bin Idaho judges a chance to ruin an already lowly title fight.

9375138.jpg

JOHN MORAGA L-DEC3 MATHEUS NICOLAU PEREIRA (The Ultimate Fighter 23: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale, 7/8/2016)
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

What's not to like about a former title challenger bordering on a return to fringe contendership status against a regional Brazilian fighter who would later go on to fail a USADA test? It's not like it can go on to be a the worst fight of a three day event stretch during a big MMA weekend. 

9428348.jpg

MARYNA MOROZ W-DEC3 DANIELLE TAYLOR (UFC Fight Night 92: Rodríguez vs. Caceres, 8/6/2016)
Salt Lake City, UT (Vivint Smart Home Arena)

As Justine Kish's replacement against a much bigger, part time armbar-from-guard guru Maryna Moroz, Danielle Taylor provided possibly the most infuriating fighter performance in the short history of the UFC's female strawweight division. The five foot tall, compact built Taylor circled around the octagon's outer reaches, trying to measure and time a largely ineffective right hand counter against the Ukrainian who was often halfway across the cage. The look on Herb Dean's face above is a perfect representation of the disbelief and disgust most fans had watching this atrocious, repugnant display of combat.

gabhot_xihwjv.jpg

GABRIELLE GARCIA W-TKO1 YUMIKO HOTTA (RIZIN Fighting World Grand Prix 2016: Final Round, 12/31/2016)
Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

The fight stunk for the little time it lasted, but we did a get a bizarre-yet-amusing post "fight" angle involving one of my favorite Joshi wrestlers from the 90s Shinobu Kandori, some random roided European pro wrestler lady, and the freshly USADA suspended Cris Cyborg. Things could be worse. I mean not much worse, but you get the point.

2013 WINNER: RORY MACDONALD vs. JAKE ELLENBERGER
2014 WINNER: ANDREI ARLOVSKI VS. BRENDAN SCHAUB
2015 WINNER: GABRIELLE GARCIA VS. SEINI DRAUGHN

Award voting will close 1/12 at 1:30 p.m. CST.

There is only one answer for this, and I didn't even watch the whole fight.  Hint: It is the one where one guys heart stopped multiple times after the fight, and the other guy died a couple of months after the fight.  I'm someone who has an affinity for Kimbo, but it was irresponsible to make that fight.  Neither guy was in a position to turn the pay day down, but neither was ever going to be in the type of shape they needed to be in to fight a professional fight.  

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There is only one answer for this, and I didn't even watch the whole fight.  Hint: It is the one where one guys heart stopped multiple times after the fight, and the other guy died a couple of months after the fight.  I'm someone who has an affinity for Kimbo, but it was irresponsible to make that fight.  Neither guy was in a position to turn the pay day down, but neither was ever going to be in the type of shape they needed to be in to fight a professional fight.  

I knew when Botter tweeted about Dada's padwork at the open workouts we were going to see something epic. I had no idea it would be like the backyard wrestling version of a MMA fight (or vice versa).

• Like 1

of those fights that i have seen, any other year they are all potential worst fight of the year. (Un?)fortunately for them, this year solely belongs to Kimbo vs DaDa. it is literally the worst fight i have ever seen, and i personally vote it worst fight of all time.