DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 103: Rodríguez vs. Penn (1/15/2017) - Phoenix, AZ (Talking Stick Resort Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

But at what point does Dana "Chuck Liddell" BJ Penn and tell him he has to stop? I know Dana can't literally stop someone from fighting but at some point a fighter's long term health has to come above TV ratings. Its a dangerous sport, people get hurt, but Penn hasn't won in seven years. Its more sad than exciting, when fans at home start worrying about the fighter instead of enjoying their fights its about that time to head out to pasture.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

But at what point does Dana "Chuck Liddell" BJ Penn and tell him he has to stop? I know Dana can't literally stop someone from fighting but at some point a fighter's long term health has to come above TV ratings. Its a dangerous sport, people get hurt, but Penn hasn't won in seven years. Its more sad than exciting, when fans at home start worrying about the fighter instead of enjoying their fights its about that time to head out to pasture.

I don't think that's Dana department anymore. If Ari Emanuel wants BJ Penn to get his ass kicked on television, Penn wants that fight, and people are willing to watch that, then what can Dana do really? Dana's job is be a glorified adviser and get certain things from point A to B. I dunno what Dana's relationship with Penn is now, but I doubt Dana White of all people is going to obstruct what clearly is a business move. They wanted to get a fighter over and for him to get a rub. It served its purpose. If this was just some fight where nobody got anything from it, then Dana might have intervened. However, they won't trying to stop him when he was getting booked for those other fights post Edgar III destruction and that was still the previous regime. I don't think Penn vs. Siver or Penn vs. Cole Miller would have really added any extra buys to UFC 199. So at this point, the only person who could have stopped BJ Penn was....BJ Penn.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This could have been far worse if Yair decided to just stay back and pick him apart slowly. He had five rounds basically to end Penn's career for good. The front kick and punch combo and followup was a mercy killing.

Oh, you mean like when Rory decided to be an asshole and instead of finishing the fight chose to hang back and just beat the Hawaiian ancestry out of BJ until the final bell.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, you mean like when Rory decided to be an asshole and instead of finishing the fight chose to hang back and just beat the Hawaiian ancestry out of BJ until the final bell.

Rory beat him up over 15 minutes, but Edgar in that third fight just absolutely got in his ass. What Yair was throwing was him...like it took over 1,000 strikes for BJ to be knocked down in his career before Rodriguez did it. Yair wobbled him big time in round 1. Round one. Yair could have legitimately and permanently injured BJ in a way that someone like Edgar (or even Rory at 170) couldn't have done. The dude is throwing like a head kick one right after another in rapid succession. He came out of the gate doing that. BJ was going around the cage like a cheap dollar store umbrella in a windy rainstorm.

Fair enough. I just recall from the Rory fight where Rory could have finished BJ during the 2nd round and could have definitely done it in the 3rd round, and he backed off to light up BJ some more like he was trying to put together a highlight reel. You're right though, the intensity and ferocity coming from Yair was different than what BJ experienced in those other fights.

Make no mistake about it, BJ is a warrior, he's also by all accounts an obsessive type who is desperately trying for one last ride on top. It's sad, I suppose it's like it was watching Ty Cobb as Babe Ruth shattered record after record. At one time you could make a logical argument for Cobb being the best baseball player ever, after Ruth it wasn't even a serious discussion. Ten years ago BJ could and would fight anyone anywhere and if he lost, the litany of excuses was always sort of amusing, but you couldn't doubt that he went in to every fight thinking he was the baddest man on the planet. If he still thinks that, he's delusional beyond belief. He has no more business fighting the sport's elite than I do taking on Cain Velasquez or Brock Lesnar at age 59. 

The sad thing is, there will always be a promoter somewhere (read: Bellator), that will sponsor a freak show where we get to see the once great BJ Penn get pounded into next week.