DVDVR Message Board

Old School Celebrity Birthday Of the Day

odessasteps

The reverse In Memorium thread, if you will. 

Celebrate an old celebrity on their birthday while they are still here. 

To start, one of my favorites, happy 94th birthday, Larry Storch.

honorable mention: Shirley Bassey, Roy Kinnear, Charles Osgood and Bob Eubanks. 

• Like 2

Happy 82nd birthday, Dr. Dick Enberg, now retired from broadcasting. Other birthdays today include bart starr, joan baez, jimmy page, crystal gayle, jk simmons, imelda staunton, dave matthews and otis nixon. 

Happy 74th birthday Walter Hill, director of, among others, The Warriors, 48 Hours and writer of the Getaway. 

Also having a birthday today: ronnie hawkins, frank mahovlich, willie mccovey, rod stewart, pat benetar, donald fagen, and george foreman. 

Oh and negro casas. 

• Like 3

Holy shit! Look at what Iran decided to do to Southern Comfort. 

Anti-US, Iranian censored version[edit]

The film was aired by Iranian state-run channel IRIB TV1 in late 1980's, under the name Amaliyate Mordab (Operation Lagoon). It was censored to narrate the story of a group of anti-Vietnam War US soldiers who are sent to a drill among Louisiana man hunters, and are armed only with blank bullets without their knowledge. In this version, soldiers are killed one-by-one, as plotted by US authorities, until a US Army truck drives toward surviving Spencer and Hardin. The picture fades out on the white star on the truck's door, then a shot is heard, indicating the US Army has killed the remaining soldiers.

Walter Hill is great.  The Warriors is one of my absolute favorites.  In my last re-viewing of it, I started to think it was just a  trashy, simplistic cartoon.  But when they get off the subway at Coney and you can feel the regret and sense of pointlessness when one of them says, "this is what we fought all night to get back to?," it does the impossible and elevates everything that came before to something more.

I tried to watch 48 Hours again a little while ago and it's very much of its time -- in a bad way.  We're supposed to cheer for Nolte but he's so awful by 2016 standards. I guess they were aiming for Archie Bunker but they landed somewhere in "awful racist piece of shit" territory instead.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, Technico Support said:

Walter Hill is great.  The Warriors is one of my absolute favorites.

I don't always remember what I post, or who posts what, on here. So this is me just making sure you've seen this:

In college, I aced a Film Art class via an essay on this flick. Professor was a cool guy, knew of Walter Hill's works well.

• Like 1

It would be too easy to do Howard Stern as today's birthday, so instead, happy 66th (!) birthday to an early crush, Kirstie Alley. 

Honoable mention: Tom Dempsey, Haruki Murakami, Drew Pearson, Walter Mosely,  john lasseter, christine amanpour, b. Brian blair, dominique wilkins, joe quesada, and rob zombie. 

• Like 1

Happy 74th to the great Richard Moll, forever Bull Shannon on Night Court and Harvey Dent on BTAS.

Honorable mention: Michael Bond (creator of Paddington Bear), Frances Sternhagen, Jay McInerney, Kelly Hrudey, Julia-Louis Dreyfuss, Penelope Anne Miller, Patrick Dempsey and Nate Silver. 

Happy 75th birthday to Faye Dunaway. 

Honorable mention: holland taylor, nina totenberg, t bone burnett, carl weathers, lawrence kasdan, maureen dowd, steven soderbergh, bob essensa, emily watson, ladies love cool james, jason bateman and dave grohl. 

• Like 1

Happy 90th birthday Phyllis Coates, the Lois Lane on TV before Noel Neill. 

Honorable mention: david pleat, andrea martin, randy white, mario van peebles, bernard hopkins, lisa lisa, delino deshields, regina king. 

• Like 1

Happy 95th birthday to Betty White. 

Honorable mention: james earl jones, maury povich, mick taylor, steve earle, steve harbey, ann nocenti, suzannabhoffs, chili davis, jim carrey, michelle farley, josh malina, jeremy roenick and genndy tartakovsky. 

• Like 2

Damn that's a lot of birthdays.  Betty White is a national treasure and it's really cool to see her at 95.  But the honorable mentions have some heavy hitters with the likes of James Earl Jones and Steve Earle.

I also wanted to say I really love this topic to celebrate the living, such a welcome approach compared to the In Memorium thread.

Happy 83rd birthday John Boorman, director of Point Blank, Zardoz, Excalibur, the Tailor of Panama and many more films. 

Honorable mention to bobby goldsboro, perro aguayo sr, takeshi kitano, ted dibiase, kevin costner, mark rylance, mark messier, brady anderson, dave bautista, and pep guardiola. 

I admire your determination to make this thread work despite the fact that you, me, Dean, Rippa and like five other elderly dudes are the only people on this board who have a clue who Bob Eubanks was.

Anyone who doesn't know who AJ Foyt is should have their ass beat.

• Like 1

Happy 85th Brithday to Richard Lester, director of, amongst others, A Hard Day's Night, Help, robin and marian and Superman II & III. 

Honorable mention to Pat Patterson, Michael Crawford, Larry Clark, Shelley Fabares, Dan Reeves, Dolly Parton, Katey Sagal, Ottis Anderson, William Ragsdale, Jeff Van Gundy, Martin Bashir  Stefan Edberg, Luc Longley, and Ron Killings. 

Happy 83rd birthday Tom Baker.

Honorable Mention: arte johnson, buzz aldrin, paul stanley, david lynch, bill maher, lorenzo lamas, r.a. salvatore, will wright, ozzie guillen, ron harper, stacey dash (50!), questlove, rainn wilson and david eckstein.