DVDVR Message Board

El Satanico y Espectro Jr. v. El Faraón y La Fiera (8/12/84)

Phil Schneider

• 2 weeks later...

There was some brawling that looked pretty great throughout and I especially liked that Fiera used the spikes on his jacket as weapons during the first fall. There were a few moments during the two on one beat downs where I wasn't sure where the other wrestler was and how they got isolated. I'm not sure if that was because I was distracted, the bad video quality in some places, or a flaw in the match. I just feel like I missed some important transitions somewhere. The finish was pretty awesome though. La Fiera's missed tope was pretty sick and already took me by surprise but I didn't think Faraon would instantly follow it up with a tope of his own. I saw a lot I liked in this one but I think I need to give it another watch.

I have a feeling this match will get the short end of the stick due to the VQ but it should do pretty damn well for me.  Fiera was the man in this with beautiful punches and awesome looking body slams.  He also sold beauitfully for El Satanico off his comeback.  Lots of good extended team beat downs.  The VQ didn't bother me overall but it is a shame there seemed to be two somewhat significant clippings and a video cut right during the move of a big transition spot.  The ending was absolutely nuts a really gave this match an ending boost in my rankings.

• 2 weeks later...

The VQ on this was distracting but man this was good as fuck. La Fiera was insanely great in this throwing mean punches, bloodying Satanico, kicking ass, etc. Satanico is really a fabulous worker. He knows how to sell fatigue better than most wrestlers I’ve ever seen. His body language is excellent which I think really makes his selling. He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen at it. The first fall beat down of Satanico was great. It’s quick but sets the stage for the rest of the match. The second fall is full of Satanico selling, Espectro coming to the rescue and failing leading to his mask getting ripped apart, and then a tremendous finish with Espectro taking an insane reverse tombstone on his head. The third fall was incredible with Satanico and Espectro mounting a comeback and brawling on the floor commences. The finish of this match is the finish of the set so far with Satanico being too beaten to make a full comeback and getting crushed with a face buster. Then, fucking La Fiera misses a tope and splats on the floor. I mean it’s one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen. He goes full force and fucking wipes out on the concrete. Faraon says fuck it and launches himself at Espectro taking him down for the count and getting the win by count out as he tremendously tries to revive Fiera in the ring. This match had some issues with video quality and I agree something felt missing. This is going on the re-watch list because I thought it was fucking great from what I could put together.

I’m giving this between four and four and half stars. It’s an A- for now. I really liked the high points of this a whole lot and La Fiera’s bump was my favorite of the set. Great match. 

EDIT: Man, I was wondering what was missing. I think the clipping is what confused me here. That's a shame because what we have of this is pretty fucking great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love this match so fucking much. The tracking shit almost added to it to me. It was like being a kid again trying to watch some crazy awesome wrestling that I'd never seen before on a UHF station that I kept having to play with the rabbit ears to get in.

Goddamn was there some ass-kicking in this thing!  Espectro getting unceremoniously dumped on his noggin.  Fiera splatting on the floor.  

I really dug this.  Right now, probably my #4 or 5.  Great stuff!

El Faraon & La Fiera vs. Espectro Jr. & Satanico (August 1984)VQ is shaky here but it's still very watchable. The rudos kick Faraon's ass here to start as Satanico is especially vicious until Fiera shows up making a fiery save teeing off on the rudos. We get juice from Satanico as the tecnicos kick ass here as much like the rudos which is great. This is really some good shit as Satanico is a crimson mask and Espectro is fun trying to save his partner from being killed. Satanico finally fights back and it becomes a battle between him & Fiera on who can take the most punishment although Espectro Jr. eating a fucking ganso bomb was awesome. Damn the Fiera tope suicida to the floor almost killed him as he hit all fucking floor headfirst. This is just violent back and forth action but as the match went on the VQ problem grew to be a bigger issue. Solid match though..

• 4 weeks later...

I had a tough time with this, due to the VQ, and just the fact it was so wild that I couldn't always follow what was going on. In situations like that you kinda have to just sit back and enjoy what you're seeing, even if you don't fully understand. That said, there was some terrific brawling here, and the missed tope was a great moment.

• 3 weeks later...

This was violent assault from start to finish. I can see the VQ problems being an issue for some, but the point of this match was brutality and you get a good enough picture of that brutality. Four guys who throw great punches, pasting eachother with punches. Loved Satanico's uppercuts and Faraon's slow motion bumps to the floor. Fiera was the king of this as he was on fire in the first half and seemed to have cut Satanico open with the metal plates on his arms. The finish was truely insane and kind of unecessary as Faraon got the win seconds after anyways, but this is a match which lives off insanity

• 1 month later...

The video quality was an issue for me, and this match probably will end up in my bottom half.  I did enjoy it, though.  Satanico was very effective in taking a lot of abuse during the first two falls.  He kind of reminds me of a condensed Wahoo McDaniel.  I thought it was odd that it took one of the partners quite a while to get to the ring in the beginning while his partner was being attacked for a while.  The mask-ripping was good, and the missed dive was indeed jaw-dropping.  I really couldn't tell what was going on with the finishing move.  It was nice to see Faraon trying to revive his partner at the end.  I wish there were some tighter camera shots in this match.  Nice action throughout, from what I could tell. 

After rewatching this I really think I should rework my rankings for this disc. It ended up at the bottom and fuuuuuuuuuck that. There's nothing half-a-match about this, it is just a huge asswhooping that Satanico and Espectro take. Fiera is a total dick using his awesome studded jacket to mutilate Satanico to the tune of a DQ. Then Espectro almost gets murdered on a front piledriver/screwdriver/whatever. They get their comeback, with Fiera doing that huge hangtime dive where he holds on the ropes until the very last second, but it's to no avail. Satanico falls to another hurty finisher as he gets picked up in slam position and dumped face-first on the other dude's knee. Fiera proves he is suicidal again by completely wiping out on the floor but Espectro gets hit by Faraon's tope and gets counted out. Faraon is in the ring over Fiera PUMPING HIS CHEST LIKE HE'S DYING. Yeah I think this is moving way, way up.

After rewatching this I really think I should rework my rankings for this disc. It ended up at the bottom and fuuuuuuuuuck that. There's nothing half-a-match about this, it is just a huge asswhooping that Satanico and Espectro take. Fiera is a total dick using his awesome studded jacket to mutilate Satanico to the tune of a DQ. Then Espectro almost gets murdered on a front piledriver/screwdriver/whatever. They get their comeback, with Fiera doing that huge hangtime dive where he holds on the ropes until the very last second, but it's to no avail. Satanico falls to another hurty finisher as he gets picked up in slam position and dumped face-first on the other dude's knee. Fiera proves he is suicidal again by completely wiping out on the floor but Espectro gets hit by Faraon's tope and gets counted out. Faraon is in the ring over Fiera PUMPING HIS CHEST LIKE HE'S DYING. Yeah I think this is moving way, way up.

My rankings have changed so much since I started watching things over. This was the number 9 match of 1984 in my original rankings and now it's my fourth best match of 84 and in my overall top 15. It's such a sick match.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sick is a good word for this match as it was full blown chaos and siffling through the VQ only amplified that feel. I was listening along with the lucha parties podcast while watching this and I do think the lack of structure in this match does hold some weight at times for it to be in the absolute upper tier. I love a hate-filled brawl as much as anyone, but I need to feel some sort of stakes. At times, this match felt simply who can be the biggest dick tag team. That can advance a match into the great catagory as this one did based on the amazing strikes and intensity but it disallows it from reaching likely my top 25 on a set this loaded. (****)

• 2 months later...

La Fiera took his sweet time in getting to the ring to save his partner. But he made up for it by kicking Satanico's ass! I think Satanico is busted open before this officially starts! I also think they have a DQ for the first fall before the bell even rang!

So we're on the second fall and I'm not sure who the rudos are in this one. La Fiera throws some nice looking punches and they treat Espectro like a complete bitch. Outside of a short comeback by Satanico and Espectro this is a total beatdown by Faraon and La Fiera.

The third fall is a lot like the second with Satanico getting his ass kicked and Espectro getting treated like a bitch and relegated to selling outside the ring. This feels almost like a squash as Faraon & La Fiera pin Satanico. Espectro tries to make up for his awful showing by fighting Faraon & Fiera off of Satanico. Really dug the bit at the end with Espectro dodging Fiera's dive only to get caught by Faraon's. I liked this but it's going to have a tough time on my ballot between Espectro being treated like a complete nobody in this match and the fact that every time Satanico seemed to start a comeback there were video quality problems only adding to the fact that this felt like a squash at times.