DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 1/19/17

*Taped for Xplosion: Laurel Van Ness def. Alexxis
*Taped for Xplosion: Davey Richards def. Kingston
*Taped for Xplosion: Mahabali Shera def. Rockstar Spud

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing January 19, 2017 from Orlando, FL

*Jeff Hardy, Eli Drake, Trevor Lee, & Kingston won the Race for the Case Match (formerly Feast or Fired) which also included Broken Matt Hardy, Bram, Tyrus, Crazzy Steve, Jessie Godderz, Mike Bennett, & Mahabali Shera. There were four different colored cases for title shots at each title.

*Lashley calls out Eddie Edwards and they go back and forth on the mic. Lashley challenges Edwards to a 30 Minute Ironman Match for the title next week which he accepts. Lashley ends up attacking Eddie until Davey Richards makes the save.

*Brooke def. Deonna Purazzo. After the match, Sienna attacked the returning Brooke.

*Aron Rex & Rockstar Spud def. Robbie E & Swoggle when Rex pinned Swoggle.

*Drew Galloway def. Moose(c) to win the Impact Grand Championship via pinfall in round 3

Lashley/Edwards with another great promo segment. Always dig both guys on the mic, especially Lashley killing it every time.

The Fact of Life: Race for the Case edition was so odd that it was absolutely hilarious. Tyrus was great there as was Eli without even talking. The DCC briefly turning in to goofy mimes was extremely strange but amusing. This ruled. Provided an interesting new twist on the old Feast or Fired concept.

Always great to see Deonna Purrazzo, thought she shined and did very well in the time given. Would rather see her getting the push than Brooke but at the same time I enjoy seeing her pop up in every promotion.

Galloway/Moose probably would've been better if it wasn't under Impact Grand rules. As it was, it was still pretty good but hampered by basically having a 9 minute time limit. They did do a very good job hyping it throughout the night as a big time main event. Next week should be good stuff with the Ironman and Monsters Ball, excellent hype vid for Rosemary/Jade.

18 hours ago, Thibs said:

So apparently they're not airing Rosemary/Jade until next week. On one hand, its good that they're giving it another week of build. 

On the other head - WTF - I was so ready for that tonght.

I don't know if they did it on the show, but on Twitter, Rosemary and Jade were having a back and forth and Rosemary was all "oh no you thought it was this week...well I moved the match to next week just because I can". Logical heel work from a nutcase.

• Like 4

I will say that eliminating the "fired" part of the race for the case was smart because that eliminated the logic gap of guys competing to see who can "win" a match and lose their job

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I will say that eliminating the "fired" part of the race for the case was smart because that eliminated the logic gap of guys competing to see who can "win" a match and lose their job

At one point in time in TNA, losing your job was a huge win..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I don't know if they did it on the show, but on Twitter, Rosemary and Jade were having a back and forth and Rosemary was all "oh no you thought it was this week...well I moved the match to next week just because I can". Logical heel work from a nutcase.

Hey that's my nutcase you're talking about :)

getting the rid of the fired part was good but they still butchered the rules which really are simple-- grab cases with the numbers 1-4 inside of them, pick title shots in that order. Simple. 

They totally made it harder than it should of been but that's par for the course when guys like Gaburick, Ryder, Conway are still involved. I'm confident Anthem will clean house on that end. I like the idea of having them cash in on open fight night though. 

Next week looks stacked with the KO title match and the 30 min iron man match. 

You know, I can't help but feel this show has gotten demonstrably worse since the Anthem takeover.  A lot of the guys TNA spent 2016 getting over as top guys/up-and-comers feel like they're getting cut off at the knees or like they've completely lost what made the characters unique.
-Eli Drake not talking anymore, feels like a total "This guy is getting over too much, let's cut off what makes him special" deal  then pair him up and let Tyrus do the talking in order to boost up Tyrus because Tyrus has some small bit of outside wrestling celebrity (He's become a contributor on the Greg Gutfeld show on Fox News).
-Arron Rex morphing into a wrestling comedy heel Rip Taylor character.
-Moose dropping his title so quickly.
-Brooke coming back, dominating another wrestler (Who looked markedly better than her!), then going 50/50 with the supposedly dominant Sienna, who has been built up as the monster of the KO division feels a lot like the Tyrus deal because Brooke has her own reality show.
-The DCC going from spooky guys hacking the TV, to guys upset at TNA for not giving them a chance, to goofy guys cracking jokes on Drake's Talk Show.
-Trevor Lee going from "Technical Savage" to Eugene.

It just feels like most of the characters are going backwards in some way, shape or form, save the Hardyz.  I hope it's not leading to the triumphant return of Jeff Jarrett but it really feels like everyone being knocked down a few pegs so that Jarrett can come in and be regarded as a huge star/saviour.  Honestly, this show is starting to become a chore to watch again.  Like, how did we get back to Brooke shaking her butt all over the ring and Hornswoggle giving people the stinkface from where this show was in Summer 2016?!

• Like 3

It's hard to argue that.  Silencing Eli is such an egregious call on their part that it's impossible to look past.  DCC is perplexing because they had that cool promo last week only to be goofs last night.  There's no mystique and little to no reason to care.  At least Arron's getup is his own stupid idea.  Apparently he pushed for that in WWE and got shot down.  Moose I can almost understand because it is a returning Drew.  But even that match they could have saved down the line.  Trevor was a buffoon last year too, Total Nonstop Deletion is proof of that.  As for Brooke, Deonna tried her best to make something out of that.  I'm not one to complain about Brooke shaking things, but the rest of it is pretty bad.

To add to the griping, how about Braxton not being allowed to train Allie.  They recently paired up and with little time to establish it they split them (for fear of firing Allie in storyline I guess)  If you're going to do it do that later.