DVDVR Message Board

WWE HALL OF FAME 2017

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm weirdly happy Toots is getting in.

I am too, especially since he's pretty synonymous with getting it going as much as Vince Sr. is.  Not sure what made him so controversial but there's no reason why it took until this year to recognize him.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rikidozan -- The father of Japanese pro wrestling and easily the single most influential pro wrestler in history. No wrestler was ever such a major cultural figure, in both Japan and in North Korea after his death. On a cultural basis, he would be far closer to Muhammad Ali than to Hulk Hogan.
Haystacks Calhoun -- Billed at 450 to 600 pounds, Calhoun was a great touring attraction in pro wrestler, similar to what Andre the Giant later would be, but not on the same level as Andre.

It feels like Rikidozan should be going into the regular Hall of Fame.

Haystacks Calhoun is the wrestler my dad always remember and mentions to me whenever he catches me watching wrestling.

• Like 1

While it's a pretty good list, Jim Londos' exclusion is astounding. He's the link from Gotch to Gorgeous George and was a huge sports star in the same era and Babe Ruth and Jack Dempsey. El Santo not getting in is disappointing as well.

• Like 1

Beth Phoenix really sticks out like a sore thumb.  Even kayfabe-wise she seems like a real stretch.  It's like, "Goddammit, pal, she had muscles. This'll shut everyone up about Chyna."

I hope the Rock 'n Roll Express isn't brought out to the Rockers music.  Just cause Robert's got the googly eyes like Shawn doesn't mean they have to use the same music.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Beth Phoenix really sticks out like a sore thumb.  Even kayfabe-wise she seems like a real stretch.  It's like, "Goddammit, pal, she had muscles. This'll shut everyone up about Chyna."

I hope the Rock 'n Roll Express isn't brought out to the Rockers music.  Just cause Robert's got the googly eyes like Shawn doesn't mean they have to use the same music.

Even though they did in 93 and 98?

On 3/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, Matt D said:

Even though they did in 93 and 98?

Especially because of that cause it was weird and wrong and people should've known better.  If they come out to the Rockers theme then Cornette should come out to the Orient Express theme cause trains, said WWE producers, most likely.

Or Ice Train's music.

You know what, everybody at the HOF should be introduced to Ice Train's music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait, is there not a Celebrity this year?

Was it supposed to be Shaq before that all fell apart?

No celebrity

I don't think there was one on the original leaked list.

I think a lot of us assumed Shaq because of the match and the Orlando connection

Though the more I think about it they could be eliminating the celebrity due to the Warrior Award

Hall of fame show was good. You've heard some of the stories before, but I always like hearing them again.

One thing stuck out though. I watch it in surround sound. I don't think anyone noticed, but the production area or the production truck had a hot mic on for nearly the entire thing. I got spooked at one point thinking there were people talking in my house when I was the only one awake. Come to find out that in my rear channel speakers, you can hear this chatter constantly going. No one is talking loudly, it's all just normal speaking tones. So anyway, I get to the end of DDP's speech and he does his "BANG!" thing.

I had to rewind to make sure I heard it right, and I did. It was the trademark cackle/laugh of Vince McMahon. He must have really dug the end of DDP's speech. I just thought that was funny.

• Like 4

That video is fucking amazing.

@Rev Ray needs to break that down like he used to break down the Hardy videos

Luke Gallows kid not wanting to be a wrestler might have been my favorite part

A few thoughts:

Why isn't Rick Rudy's son in the performance center yesterday?

Molly Holly sounds like like a great person, and deserves to be in the HOF before Beth. I did pop for Beth shouting out Cherry...

It was weird hearing JBL be Mr Equality towards the end of Teddy Long's intro.

That vid is awesome lol 

I really liked Beth's speech, especially since she took the time to thank the women from the Diva Search Era, who were given the thankless task of trying to work miracles with very little promo time and 3 minute matches. Lol And Molly Holly is indeed an awesome individual. She also helped lead Gail Kim to the WWE initially. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 11:20 PM, odessasteps said:

Pay the rights fee for one night to ELO.

Shit, they should've paid the rights to Ricky Morton and used Boogie Woogie Dance Hall. Can't believe they didn't at least spring for that. And Cornette not entering to The Chase was sacrilege. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Hall of fame show was good. You've heard some of the stories before, but I always like hearing them again.

One thing stuck out though. I watch it in surround sound. I don't think anyone noticed, but the production area or the production truck had a hot mic on for nearly the entire thing. I got spooked at one point thinking there were people talking in my house when I was the only one awake. Come to find out that in my rear channel speakers, you can hear this chatter constantly going. No one is talking loudly, it's all just normal speaking tones. So anyway, I get to the end of DDP's speech and he does his "BANG!" thing.

I had to rewind to make sure I heard it right, and I did. It was the trademark cackle/laugh of Vince McMahon. He must have really dug the end of DDP's speech. I just thought that was funny.

I heard that too. I kept pausing it thinking it was someone outside my window.

• Like 1