DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Comics Industry News Thread

The Unholy Dragon

On 6/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, mystman said:

Word is Denny O'Neil has passed away. He was 81. RIP.

This is sad. Though I knew he had to be older, for some reason I always thought of Denny as maybe four or five years older than myself, it was actually more like twenty years, but he spoke to my generation the way Stan Lee and co. never, ever could. One of the greats and perhaps the only writer who could have saved Batman (granted, he had the help of the incomparable Neal Adams, but still, to restore the dark creature of the night after the 1960s debacle was heroic storytelling). RIP Mr. O'NeilĀ and thanks for all the comics.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

So, "Come to my hotel room for free funny books!" is the new "Come upstairs to look at my etchings."? If this wasn't so pathetic I wouldn't laugh as it obviously isn't really funny, just one of the saddest things I've read in the last few days (and boy oh boy does that cover some ground).

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to some of this comic con stuff, actually.Ā 

I could see myself watching:

Thursday:

Star Trek Universe
Batgirls
Oddball Comics
Upload
Harry Dresden
MST3K

Friday:

Marvel and DC ones
Aphra Audiobook
Infinity Train
Maybe the Kirby or Harryhausen stuff
Maybe Avatar/Dragon Prince

Saturday:

The usual Marvel/DC ones
Denny O'Neil Tribute
Doctor Who: Time Lord Victorious
Bill and Ted
Stumptown
Lucha panel, which would normally annoy me, but it's got Rey and Salvador Lutteroth

Sunday:

More Kirby
Bradbury in Hollywood.Ā 

And those are just the "easy" panels. The ones I can sort of half pay attention to. There are a ton of other historical stuff about comics and animation that look interesting. If things are available for months, I'll get to more.Ā 

This feels superior and every way to any sort of traditional con experience.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

17 days ago, IDW promoted Jud Meyers to Publisher.

12Ā days ago, IDW put Jud Meyers on administrative leave

Saturday, IDW fired Jud Meyers

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, so they did a shit job of background checking him, or at least weighing his positives vs. negatives. Were they in a rush to hire for the position?

No idea. Last I saw, nobody has reported what the issue was (as opposed to the more common "someone dug up dirt after we have him the job" model)

Time for another reboot! Ā And a new crisis! Ā DC's mot popular heroes united to.... uh..... breach the fourth wall to help laid off staffers polish resumes and take meeting with corporate recruiters.

At this point, it really does feelĀ like it's only a matter of time until DC either moves to a digital-only model or simply shuts down all together and Warner just retains the rights to characters for licensing purposes. Ā Probably the latter

Some more updates:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/after-the-bloodbath-the-start-of-a-new-two-year-plan-for-dc-comics/

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-comics-collections-exclusives-mad-assistant-editor-changes/

One scary part:

Because we also hear about what is described as a Two-Year Plan for DC Comics which will see DC Comics move to mass-market production through Walmart, the licensing of titles with editors moving to brand managers/approval roles, alongside a move from DC to digital serialisation and original graphic novels. Content will still be provided to the direct market but it will no longer be the priority that it (still) is at DC Comics.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

What does this even mean?

My best guess: farm out the actual publishing to a different company, and the editors DC still has just approve that the story doesn't damage the IP, etc.

Like letting IDW or Dark Horse publish Superman.

Just read that DC Collectibles is gone as well. I pre ordered Batman and The Joker figures as part of Batman: The Adventures Continue as soon as I found out about them in May of this year. I'm not sure I'll get them now. Right looked forward to getting my hands on them. Feel for those made redundant. Fuck 2020.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...