DVDVR Message Board

Game Deals and Subscriptions 2017... err... 2018 now

I got bored of it after a while.  The whole 90s FPS design of clear out a room of generic bad guys and then wander around looking for random switches/keys/doors got old to me.  If it's only a couple of bucks though, why not.

Stupid quote box bug.

So the monthly mystery bundle with XCOM 2 ended, and the other games were ABZU, Ryze Son of Rome, Steamworks Heist, Okhlos, Project High rise and Husk. The headliner, non-surprise game for March is Warhammer Total War. In general I can't do TW games, but for $12 with the mystery games included it's possibly worth it.

Humble Monthly seems to be swinging heavily into "Have a discount on like one third of a game that has $50+ in DLC if you want to actually play it", but that's as much to do with how broken the current model for AAA games is than anything.

I can only complain so much, I endorsed Crusader Kings II, I am part of the problem.

8 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Humble Monthly seems to be swinging heavily into "Have a discount on like one third of a game that has $50+ in DLC if you want to actually play it", but that's as much to do with how broken the current model for AAA games is than anything.

I can only complain so much, I endorsed Crusader Kings II, I am part of the problem.

But at least they arn't releasing Crusader Kings ever year or two. And the DLC for it generally implants major changes. Its not like there just adding cars you can drive.

There are literally 30 DLCs for the game that are either cosmetic unit alterations, pretty banners, or portrait packs ("you want black people in Africa? Fuck you, pay us"), and nearly every piece of major content they've ever released has broken the game to the point you have to wait several weeks for a stability patch, but okay sure if you say so.

Humble's doing another Star Wars games bundle.  I can't easily tell by looking what's new and what's repeated from the 2015 and 2016 versions, unfortunately, other than Shadows of the Empire which is the first time that game's been offered on a modern PC.

PSN's weekly sale is the second week of their Bandai/Namco "play anime" promotion and an Ubisoft sale, and if patterns from the last couple years hold true they'll be launching a Flash Sale with heavy emphasis on co-op games on Friday as a Valentine's weekend promo.

Here's the full list of stuff in that Freedom Bundle. 100% of the $30 fee goes to the ACLU and/or Doctors Without Borders. 

Spoiler
  • The Witness
  • Stardew valley
  • Subnautica
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • Overgrowth
  • Nuclear Throne
  • Octodad
  • Invisible Inc.
  • Super Meat Boy
  • World of Goo
  • Mushroom 11
  • No Time to Explain Remastered
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
  • Super Hexagon
  • VVVVVV
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • The Swapper
  • Thirty Flights of Loving
  • The Swapper
  • Spirits
  • Human Resource Machine
  • ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS
  • A Virus Named TOM
  • 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat
  • Mini Metro
  • Retro Game Crunch
  • Towe of Guns
  • Waking Mars
  • Song of the Deep
  • Monster Loves You!
  • AI War: Fleet Command
  • Sproggiwood
  • Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore a Fedora Deluxe
  • Secrets of Raetikon
  • Girls Like Roots
  • Ellipsis
  • Streamline [Early Access]
  • Ninja Pizza Girl
  • Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
  • 2064: Read Only Memories

Other media

• Information Doesn't Want to be Free (audiobook)
  • Walkway: Chapter One preview(audiobook sample)
  • R in a Nutshell (book)
  • The Boys Vol. 1 - The Name of the Games [Issues 1 to 6] (comicbook)
  • A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff (book)
  • The Smart Girl's Guide to Privacy: Practical Tips for Staying Safe Online (book)
  • Any Empire (book)

More content may be coming soon!

•   
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, assfax said:

From that new bundle I already have Tower of Guns, Guacamelee, The Swapper, Meat Boy, No time to explain, Day of the Tentacle and Invisible Inc.  Anybody want free games?

I always wanted to try Tower of Guns or Guacamelee, if you still have them :D I think I have most of the rest myself. Quality games in that bundle.

Awww, damn you Humble Bundle for dropping a damn Civilization sale!  The $8.87 Tier gets you 20% off Civ VI as well.

I'm annoyed that I finally have money, and I missed the damn Final Fantasy Steam sale.  I have them on other platforms, but wanted a few (specifically VII and X Remastered) on PC so they're portable.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Microsoft is introducing a $10 Monthly service that gives access to select games

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-unveils-10-monthly-gaming-subscription-servi-1792818880

Eh... there is a lot of "Oh you can buy it later at a discounted price" that raises my spidey sense

I'm not against that in theory. I mean in high school/college I used to rent video games for $7+ for five days, now that rentals don't exist there isn't really a way to play new games without paying close to full retail for them or praying you get lucky on GameFly. But it only works if the library is kept up to date with games people really want to play. I currently have PS Now but I also got it when it was $99 a year and after it had a massive library.

I'll take the 'wait and see' approach to this one, on paper it could be good but if its all games that are a year+ old then I doubt I'd get it since I already have PS Plus/PS Now/Games with Gold/Switch Something. I can't have but so many subscriptions at a time.

Borderlands 2 will be free with Gold on 360 this month?  No wonder I didn't get shit for my Gamestop trade-in.

Silver Linings.  If Big Fresh still has a copy of Evolve, I can play co-op with him after March 16th now that I own an XB1 and won't have to pay a dime for...... Oh, wait, fuck that because Andromeda and stuff....

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Borderlands 2 will be free with Gold on 360 this month?  No wonder I didn't get shit for my Gamestop trade-in.

You were also trying to trade in a 360 version of a game that has been out on XBOX One since the system came out

• Like 1