DVDVR Message Board

Game Deals and Subscriptions 2017... err... 2018 now

Mafia 3 may be the most disappointing game I've played from this generation. Hopefully your mileage may very. 

Happy to try dead by daylight tho. My heart belongs to F13 but this looks cool enough. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Mafia 3 may be the most disappointing game I've played from this generation. Hopefully your mileage may very. 

Happy to try dead by daylight tho. My heart belongs to F13 but this looks cool enough. 

I've been wanting to try it and I think a $0 price tag will quell any disappointment I have with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mafia 3 is OK so far, but Square to enter vehicle, and Triangle as jump and climb? Every time I approach my car to get in and drive, I end up standing on the roof like an idiot.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Man, Humble Bundle's been trash ever since they got bought. I hope they are making a lot on the monthly bundles because most of the other ones are straight garbage these days.

I actually like pretty much everything in that Jackbox bundle.  I think the problem is less that the quality of the individual bundles has gone down, and more that as they've diversified and are running more non-game software bundles and fewer game bundles, the spotty quality of the game bundles is a lot more obvious.  

As for the monthlies, I've gotten every one and have yet to have one feel like I didn't get my $12 worth, but my standard tends to be "Did I get at least 12 hours of enjoyment out of this $12 purchase?" So as long as one headliner and one of the indies works for me, it's a 'hit'

Some of the e-book bundles have actually been really good. They seem to put out these hyper-specialized sets that will not appeal to anyone but a specific group but are really strong for what they are. I grabbed that D&D module bundle, for example, and it was a good value for sure.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Some of the e-book bundles have actually been really good. They seem to put out these hyper-specialized sets that will not appeal to anyone but a specific group but are really strong for what they are. I grabbed that D&D module bundle, for example, and it was a good value for sure.

oh, totally. I've bought so many comics and ebook bundles from them it's not funny.  What I really meant was the pivot to productivity, video editing, etc. bundles.18 months ago, there were 2, sometimes 3 games bundles running at any given time, and you'd be almost guaranteed to find one worth the money even if half of it was junk.  Now that there's never more than one non-monthly games bundle running, and sometimes 0, the iffy bundles look iffier.  I think that's part their decision to diversify offerings and part having run so many that aside from annual repeats like Star Wars etc bundles it's sometimes hard to put together a 'new' one every two weeks without more overlap than they're comfortable with.

Destiny 2? Fool me once, shame on you... God of War 3 should be worth it though. 'It' being renewing PS+ another year.

So we've got one of the very best games of the 1990s (IMO), a decent first-person puzzle game (it's no Portal but I don't regret the 3 hours I spent with it when it was newish), an uprez of one of PS3's best action games, a grindy FPS that you will either hate after 6 hours or put 100 into, a belt-scroll brawler and a Luxor/Magnetica clone, and all 6 are playable on PS4.  I'd feel like I got my $5 worth out of either GoW3 or Another World; all in all this is a pretty heavy lineup.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Destiny 2? Fool me once, shame on you... God of War 3 should be worth it though. 'It' being renewing PS+ another year.

The "best" part is that it is only the base game. So yes - you actually get to play it more than like you did in the original Destiny there is still like $90 of DLC they are trying to trick people into buying.

• 2 weeks later...

Headliner for the current Humble Monthly is Overwatch.  More than any of the other one-or-two-year-old AAA games they've done, this feels like something you'd already have if you gave a shit, but hey. If you don't have it and think you might like it, it's $12 in a bundle with 4-6 mystery games to be named on 10/5.

Bit of a troubleshoot, but related to the current Xbox sale on 360 backwards compatible games. Got an xbox gift card (not points nor rewards), redeemed it (using my cpu and the MS store, not through my console), I see it credited to my acct, but when I go to purchase a game, the only payment option I see is my debit card. How do I USE the gift card towards the games. Of course trying to find support or an answer to my question through their site is a headache, but I found an old "community" post with a similar question. 

Is this a KNOWN glitch that one with an XB1 can NOT use a gift card to purchase SPECIFICALLY a 360 backwards compatible game? 

*UPDATE* Got my answer. "One store has never been updated to work with the currency system for 360 content. In order to use the funds on your account, you would have to use a 360 console." WTF Xbox?!?! 

• 2 weeks later...