Star Wars Republic Commando

Shameful admission: Never played Jade Empire. Looking forward to changing that 

9 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I love it so - just be prepared for Breakfast at Tiffany's level of racism

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I love it so - just be prepared for Breakfast at Tiffany's level of racism

Yeah, they really should have gone with the original plan and had the characters speak Tho Fan (the language they created for the game) with appropriate subtitles.

Also, the secret hetero romance option is pretty awesome.

10 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Pro Tip: Goes without saying, but make your own custom character.  You will be much happier.

I used the Furious Ming skin for the badass dragon tattoo on his back but chose the Legendary Strike fighting style.  Thousand Cuts always seemed to overshoot my enemy before I could land the death blow and trigger a Harmonic Combo and White Demon was just too too too slow.

I picked the Dire Flame magic style because you know, badass dragon tattoo on Ming's back. Thematics are important.  Plus, the Fire Dragon AoE also helped with crowd control allowing me to land my HCs without being knocked out of my wind up..

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, they really should have gone with the original plan and had the characters speak Tho Fan (the language they created for the game) with appropriate subtitles.

Also, the secret hetero romance option is pretty awesome.

Pro Tip: Goes without saying, but make your own custom character.  You will be much happier.

I used the Furious Ming skin for the badass dragon tattoo on his back but chose the Legendary Strike fighting style.  Thousand Cuts always seemed to overshoot my enemy before I could land the death blow and trigger a Harmonic Combo and White Demon was just too too too slow.

I picked the Dire Flame magic style because you know, badass dragon tattoo on Ming's back. Thematics are important.  Plus, the Fire Dragon AoE also helped with crowd control allowing me to land my HCs without being knocked out of my wind up..

https://youtu.be/Ccoj5lhLmSQ

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Good, then you won't struggle as much as most people did with the first act of the game.  The combat engine does not play very intuitively.

That is the understatement of the year. 

I don't recall having a problem with Jade Empire's combat system.

I mean, it's real-time combat. So it's just filler to keep you from blowing past the good parts too quickly. But judged through that lens, it seemed fine.

Yeah, I think I struggled the first time I tried with Jade Empire because I thought it was going to be less button-mashy. But no, it's fairly button-mashy. Second playthrough I barely broke a sweat.

I wonder how well ported this ends up. Hell, 2 of the 3 reasons I kept my original XBox are on that list - 1: that Jade was always considered a terrible PC port, and 2-3: the wondrous controller button glitches from KOTOR 1 & 2. But I suppose those of you who have actually played other ports by now have a good handle on how other games have been ported, and can comment accordingly.

Also makes me wonder how hilariously broken Morrowind will be. Best guess - hilarious for the first hour; throw controller into wall past first hour.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Morrowind is legit the most broken game I ever played that I still think qualifies as great. The XBox version was really easy to freeze in certain spots, especially the Mounhold expansion.

True, but on the flipside you could bug out the spellcrafting system to max out your stats, which was all good fun.

There was a bug where if you created a stat-boosting spell and added Soul Trap as an effect it would make the stat boost permanent. But you had to look at the ground when you cast or it would crash the game.  I cannot believe I still remember this shit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Morrowind is legit the most broken game I ever played that I still think qualifies as great. The XBox version was really easy to freeze in certain spots, especially the Mounhold expansion.

It might not even be the best most broken game on that list. KOTOR 2 man. Broken as shit, but fucking amazing.

• Like 1