DVDVR Message Board

Game Deals and Subscriptions 2017... err... 2018 now

I have to say that I started Bound and Jesus is that a swell game to look at.  It feels like it is gonna be rather short and mechanically it is about as basic a platformer as you will see, but I'm happy to play through it once just to take it all in.

Also after many years away from any shoot 'em ups I am just dreadful at R-Type.  First run amazingly went well and with a continue I got to stage 3, but after that I kept dying on the very first stage repeatedly.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Compare it to the sales that will be taking place next Thursday and Friday, and it's a bit underwhelming, especially if you put it side by side with the Xbox Live one that went live last night.

Redbox is selling a few games for cheap. You don't get the original case, so if that's an issue, keep that in mind. YMMV on your local Redbox machine. 

I know for a fact that Doom PS4 and Agents of Mayhem PS4 are going for five bucks apiece and Everybody's Golf is going for ten bucks. I bought the latter two games that I listed tonight, in fact. 

Xbox Live's Black Friday sale is up and it's pretty good. I got the first two Wolfenstein games for like $15, and The Evil Within for $6. Strongly considering getting WWE 2K18, just don't know which version I want to get yet. I'm going to end up buying more games than my Xbox's internal harddrive can handle.

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Xbox Live's Black Friday sale is up and it's pretty good. I got the first two Wolfenstein games for like $15

Not picking on you or anything, but this is why giving new games the same name as old games drives me nuts sometimes.  They are like Wolfenstein 8 and 8.5.

That is unless you actually did purchase the original two Wolfenstein games, in which case nice but you could have likely gotten them for less...

Unless you live in the 80s, I think everyone knows the "first two Wolfenstein" games refer to the reboot and the prequel that came after it (they're only a few years old at this point). And then you have the sequel that was released a few weeks ago.

I knew what games you were referring to and I'm more annoyed at companies slacking when it comes to re-using old game names.  The Wolfensteins at least are getting subtitles, Doom is much worse in that regard.

Of course, in a few years when someone buys Doom and its inevitable sequel on sale and says they got the first two Doom games for $15 I'll still be the old guy in the corner shaking his head.

That game is probably better on PC than it was when I got it on console and only afterward found out that it was actually mostly an RTS, one of a few genres that really should only be played on PC. 

Really disappointing considering that I already bought it knowing that it was based on a music genre that I utterly hate, so the 1-2 punch of "metal music + console RTS" bummed me out. If not for the goodwill of Psychonauts before it and Costume Quest, Iron Brigade, and Stacking after it, I would have been more disappointed in Double Fine. 

On 11/19/2017 at 12:27 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

Redbox is selling a few games for cheap. You don't get the original case, so if that's an issue, keep that in mind. YMMV on your local Redbox machine. 

I know for a fact that Doom PS4 and Agents of Mayhem PS4 are going for five bucks apiece and Everybody's Golf is going for ten bucks. I bought the latter two games that I listed tonight, in fact. 

Unfortunately, my local Redboxes don't have any of those games. :( I did snag Deus Ex for $5 though.

19 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Unfortunately, my local Redboxes don't have any of those games. :( I did snag Deus Ex for $5 though.

I need to keep an eye out for that one. I've been meaning to play it. I'd probably rather have Deus Ex: MD than Agents of Mayhem, honestly. 

Fanatical (formerly Bundlestars, it's basically the exact same site with a rebranding) has lots of good deals on older AAA titles in their "early black friday" thing everyone does now, so I grabbed Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (MK9) for $5 Canadian because why the hell not. Though when I actually get around to playing it may be a totally different issue.