DVDVR Message Board

Game Deals and Subscriptions 2017... err... 2018 now

On 10/23/2017 at 1:37 PM, supremebve said:

Am I the only one a little too excited about playing Fusion Frenzy again?

Nope. Xbox and PS4 are sorely missing a Fusion Frenzy or even a Kung Fu Chaos type title. Fusion Frenzy, even if it controlled poorly, was always a nice palette cleanser after a long lan sessions with Halo. Same with Kung Fu Chaos.

Just now, Craig H said:

Nope. Xbox and PS4 are sorely missing a Fusion Frenzy or even a Kung Fu Chaos type title. Fusion Frenzy, even if it controlled poorly, was always a nice palette cleanser after a long lan sessions with Halo. Same with Kung Fu Chaos.

You and your friends are essentially the same people as me and my friends.  We'd play Halo for a couple hours, and then spend the rest of the night doing stupid mini-games.  We'd play a couple tournaments, but eventually we'd play that one unending game where you either have to jump or duck poles on that spinning tower.  It was like the videogame version of a staring contest.  By the end if you blink you'd lose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If y'all don't play Tales from the Borderlands - you are stupid

It has one gross out moment in the second chapter I can barely stand to ever play through again but overall it is a really, really strong game/visual novel. Fiona and Rhys are such great characters, they absolutely need to be in Borderlands 3 as questgivers or something.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If y'all don't play Tales from the Borderlands - you are stupid

I will be downloading it as soon as it is in the Gold queue on the 16th.

Then I will play it and cry and cry and cry.

6 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Stellaris is 60% off, and I remembered to buy it this time. It looks interesting so far.

It's good, but didn't quite hit the "Crusader Kings but in space" heights that I wanted.  Haven't tried the new DLC, tho'

I got Cities Skylines and it's kind of a lot at first.  I wish it had a more comprehensive tutorial.

I've never played Crusader Kings, and as it doesn't appear to have a Linux version it's unlikely I ever will. Crusader Kings II does have a Linux port, though. Is it worth playing? The Wikipedia article says that Crusader Kings has RPG-like elements unlike most strategy games, so is II a sequel in the sense that it continues the story?

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

I've never played Crusader Kings, and as it doesn't appear to have a Linux version it's unlikely I ever will. Crusader Kings II does have a Linux port, though. Is it worth playing? The Wikipedia article says that Crusader Kings has RPG-like elements unlike most strategy games, so is II a sequel in the sense that it continues the story?

Yes, you should play Crusader Kings 2.  Stop what you're doing and play it right now.

It has RPG elements in the sense that rather than playing a country like you do in most games of this type you're actually playing the ruler, or more specifically a bloodline.  You have stats and traits and stuff that affect how you govern, the kinds of events that happen, and how people react to you, which is important because managing your relationships is just as important as managing your military or economy.  Your (and everyone else's) courts and full of people who have their own stats, traits, and agendas and you'll be Die without an heir?  Game over.  And if you do have an heir your younger brother who's got passed over for the throne might start getting some ideas about how to deal with that.  Or maybe your oldest child is a syphilitic imbecile who's going to imperil the throne, what are you going to do about it?  So there's no fixed story, just the narrative created by the game systems.  It's a hell of a thing.

Also, there are like a million DLCs and you can ignore pretty much all of them.

50 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yes, you should play Crusader Kings 2.  Stop what you're doing and play it right now.

It has RPG elements in the sense that rather than playing a country like you do in most games of this type you're actually playing the ruler, or more specifically a bloodline.  You have stats and traits and stuff that affect how you govern, the kinds of events that happen, and how people react to you, which is important because managing your relationships is just as important as managing your military or economy.  Your (and everyone else's) courts and full of people who have their own stats, traits, and agendas and you'll be Die without an heir?  Game over.  And if you do have an heir your younger brother who's got passed over for the throne might start getting some ideas about how to deal with that.  Or maybe your oldest child is a syphilitic imbecile who's going to imperil the throne, what are you going to do about it?  So there's no fixed story, just the narrative created by the game systems.  It's a hell of a thing.

Also, there are like a million DLCs and you can ignore pretty much all of them.

I tried multiple times, and I have no idea how to play this game.  All of these things sound really fun, but I just feel like I'm trying to figure out how to play the game instead of actually playing the game.  It's frustrating as fuck.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the learning curve is basically a brick wall and the tutorial is worse than useless as they've changed some game mechanics in major ways since it was created.  I played a fair amount of the first CK and I still didn't pick up on a bunch of stuff until I watched a couple of LPs.

It would help a lot if the CKII tutorial hadn't been borked a million patches ago. When I tried to go through it a couple years back there is a scenario that isn't even that far in which is genuinely unbeatable because one of the expansion changes broke some trigger somewhere.

I can't actually comment much on the current version. My biggest beef with CKII is that they have added *so many* expansions (which come with patches that change the base game), that what CKII is now bears only minor relation to the game I put a couple hundred hours into. I really feel they should have moved onto CK III at some point, where you are just piling on change after change.

Last that I played I used the option to just roll back to an older patch (2.4.5) and played exclusively in that because it was the game I knew and recognized.

None the less I think the game has a lot going for it, if you can learn to play. It's an excellent unique game, with an unfortunately obtuse interphase. All that companies games are like that. I tried to play one of the Hearts of Iron games and I couldn't put it down fast enough because it had all the obtuse menu nonsense but I couldn't find any of the things that make CKII so fun. And it really is a game where for me the fun is in the actual characters and the roleplaying of it: a lot of family backstabbing, plotting to murder nobles, stealing their wealth. The war element of the game is relatively simple, a lot of the complexity is learning how the medieval laws about rank and titles work. I did enjoy the time I put into the game very much, but it's been so long since I played I would struggle to explain now how to actually do anything.

One of the reasons a lot of people recommend the Ireland start is because it is a good venue for learning the game basics: you are in charge of yourself (no figuring out the complexities of being some duke under a king or anything, nor do you start as a king trying to run like 5 uppity dukes) and you sort of start with clear goals: unify your duchy, then Ireland and then whatever. It's not a very action filled start, but if you don't know what you are doing trying to play on mainland Europe can be super hard. The other good thing about the Ireland start is it is so much easier to change your laws as a small kingdom to do what you like; trying to pick one of the big boys and adjust the laws without using the console is borderline impossible in many scenarios, and has actually gotten even harder over time.

It has been quite a while since I played now so I am not much help beyond that.

I would also point out, this company pulled That Old Trick where they spiked all their product prices before a major steam sale, then put things on "at discount" basically back at what they cost. Then they backtracked on it after the steam review system turned into the opening of the gates of Hades. I am personally avoiding them for now, but if people don't care about that I'm not here to tell them what to do. Christ we're all just trying to have fun out there.

I believe they changed the way international prices were calculated at a time that ended up being before a big sale (there games seem to go on sale every two months).  Trying to figure out regional pricing seems to be an issue a lot of companies have issues with, not sure what the right answer is or if there eve is a foolproof correct one.

Just now, kenyabaxterZXW said:

Playstation Plus: Free Games for November 2017

This is exactly why I haven't updated my billing details since I got a new debit card.  PS3 Playstation Plus was fucking dope, PS4 Playstation Plus is terrible, has been terrible, and seems as if it will stay terrible.

Nope, that's only in V.

I know I have a lower bar than most for PS+ games, but even I am a little disappointed.  That R-Type collection is fucking awesome, though, and I used to really like the earlier Broken Swords (never played the revival).

Fun fact: that stupid Rag Doll Kung Fu game was actually free with Sprint ads in the early days of PS3, around the time Little Big Planet (by the same studio) launched.  It is not worth $0.

7 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Sorry to go back a bit, but one of the things that bugs about MGSV is the credits before EVERY mission. Is that they case for all MGS games? Because its annoying as fucking hell. . . .

I heard that Kojima did that in response to the falling out with Konami. They removed his name from all the promo materials, so he made damn sure you knew who made it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I heard that Kojima did that in response to the falling out with Konami. They removed his name from all the promo materials, so he made damn sure you knew who made it.

That is some A+ pettiness.