DVDVR Message Board

Game Deals and Subscriptions 2017... err... 2018 now

I need to jump in just to see if they have any games I haven't played that I can beat in two weeks. I think the deal is fine (although they really need more games) but my backlog is already epic and I have PS Now which has a lot more games in it. So I doubt I'd keep it, I may wait til they do what PS Now does and have a sale for a lower price.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I liked Watch Dogs well enough but the reasons Neil mentioned were hard to get past.  I'm looking at the second one but with a few quality games coming out (plus ones I'm working on now) there's no way I can get it for quite some time.

Just FYI there's a demo out for Watch Dogs 2 that lets you play for three hours. 

• Like 1

That Xbox Netflix-style service sounds like a giant ripoff. There's something about having to download the games (jacking up your data usage for the month since, yay, everyone is on a cap now it seems), to those games possibly not even being available the following month, and then the 20% discount you get to buy those games is total bullshit because if you discontinue the service, those games that you actually bought are no longer available to play. I can't imagine how many people will play a game over that service, decide that they want to buy it and use the 20% discount on it, still pay more than you would on Amazon, and then not have access to the game anymore when they decide it isn't worth it to keep the service going. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That Xbox Netflix-style service sounds like a giant ripoff. There's something about having to download the games (jacking up your data usage for the month since, yay, everyone is on a cap now it seems), to those games possibly not even being available the following month, and then the 20% discount you get to buy those games is total bullshit because if you discontinue the service, those games that you actually bought are no longer available to play. I can't imagine how many people will play a game over that service, decide that they want to buy it and use the 20% discount on it, still pay more than you would on Amazon, and then not have access to the game anymore when they decide it isn't worth it to keep the service going. 

I think there is some misunderstanding there, the interview I read said if purchased, the game becomes part of the person's "permanent library," implying the service isn't needed if the game is purchased. Which makes more sense. I don't mind downloading the games since I'm not capped and that way I can play even when my Internet is a bit sketchy, but I can see that annoying anyone that has a low cap on their data. 

Hmm, that's different than what I was reading on one of the gaming websites last night. I went to Xbox's Game Pass page and it says there too that the game stays in your library. That's cool then. I wonder if the website misunderstood or was reporting on old information.

ISP's scientifically baseless doubling down on capping users while legislators do nothing about it is going to come to a head for gamers in the next decade. We are on the verge of a AAA title hititng 100 GB which if you live in part of rural Canada means maybe if you stop using the internet for a couple months you could grab it.

Eventually it will start affecting people who live in cities too, and my God the sounds you'll hear will be like an orchestra of scorched cats.

This is one of many reasons that I stay physical, though I'm also looking for houses in places with municipally-run internet, which really is the wave of the future.

Well, unless you're in one of those states with a legislature that outlaws it, but you know, not my monkey, not my circus. 

So after 2 and a half years i'm finally getting to the point where games i own start turning up on PS+ and GwG. I've got both Watch Dogs and Life is Strange from this months offerings. Killing Floor 2 looks decent enough though and i always like a good co op zombie killing game. I'm pretty sure at this point Microsoft is determined to give away every single Assassins Creed game at some point.

Gotta recommend Life is Strange to anyone unsure. It is absolutely not the sort of game i would normal play but it looked interesting and i picked it up when it was on sale here for like £5 or something. One of the best games I've played on this generation of consoles.

I want to play Life is Strange but I had the ending spoiled for me so it has pushed it to the back burner for me.

And agreed about the stuff you own showing up on the "services"

Multiple games I physically own that are on my pile of shame have now showed up in the Games with Gold program

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I want to play Life is Strange but I had the ending spoiled for me so it has pushed it to the back burner for me.

And agreed about the stuff you own showing up on the "services"

Multiple games I physically own that are on my pile of shame have now showed up in the Games with Gold program

Sucks about that, there's a lot of good stuff along the way but i would find it hard to sink 10-15 hours into a game that is heavily story driven if i already knew the ending.

I've only had 3 games i own show up on + and GwG so far (ignoring ones where they have both given away the same title like Temple of Osiris and Walking Dead season 2). But annoyingly 2 of them, Watch Dogs and Little Big Planet 3 i hadn't even played yet. I got both of those titles bundled in with the PS4 when i purchased it.

I know a lot of people bitch about Sony always giving away indie titles with PS+ but i don't really have a problem with it. I rarely buy indie games and they've given some great stuff away that i wouldn't usually buy or play. The way i see it, the less AAA titles they give for free the more chance there is of me not having the games. Not that i am complaining when they do give a big budget title out for free.

• 3 weeks later...

Rippa, if you still haven't played LiS yet, go get it and start it right away. As said above it's not my kind of game but when you play through it, it turns out to be the very best game i've played in a long time (When I played it months ago) and it's my only platinum trophy - you can't not platinum it to be fair but still, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

On that note i've just pre-ordered the new LiS game that's coming in a few months (72 days it says on my PS4!) - I've never ever pre-ordered a game in my life until this.

I haven't even really tried to sort through the Steam summer sale yet. But since I'm the last man alive that didn't own the Portal games and the 1/2 bundle was 93% off, I grabbed that along with the Tomb Raider 1 Anniversary remaster, for the princely sum of like $4. That's a start.

I've got both Portal games from last time. They're one of those 'Really have to play these games one day' games that I might never get around to. One thing about Steam sales is i'll see a game and think 'Ooh, I need that!' and then add it to my basket and find out I already own the game from the last time there was a sale and I said the same thing. 

One day guys, one day i'll play these games.

Case in point, I bought all the Doom and Quake games because, well, why not I guess?

So what are some recommendations from this Steam Summer Sale then? This is the first time in years I've had a PC up to date enough to run anything at a decent level and while i'm mainly a console gamer there's a whole bunch of stuff I've missed out on. I already picked up the first rebooted Tomb Raider game and Wolfenstein a while back for next to nothing. And i'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I've missed out on towards the end of the PS3/360 life and early PS4/XBone era that probably cost pennies on the PC at this point. 

I'm tempted by some of the Final Fantasy stuff on sale. The only ones I've really played are a couple of the old SNES ones and 7.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:52 AM, Basara said:

So what are some recommendations from this Steam Summer Sale then? This is the first time in years I've had a PC up to date enough to run anything at a decent level and while i'm mainly a console gamer there's a whole bunch of stuff I've missed out on. I already picked up the first rebooted Tomb Raider game and Wolfenstein a while back for next to nothing. And i'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I've missed out on towards the end of the PS3/360 life and early PS4/XBone era that probably cost pennies on the PC at this point. 

I'm tempted by some of the Final Fantasy stuff on sale. The only ones I've really played are a couple of the old SNES ones and 7.

Not exactly a PC Hog but Kentucky Route Zero is half off ($12.50 and is definitely the best Point & Click Theater-Influenced Tone Poem of the decade. The only downside is that only four out of five acts are available now, but the upside is basically All The Other Stuff About It. I could talk about that game for like a month straight, probably without stopping very often.

There's also some Intermissions between the acts that help build out the universe a little more. You can find those at this link after scrolling down a whole lot.