DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] for JANUARY 18, 2017

RIPPA

PWI

Week 2

- Nikki Cross def. Kennadi Brink

- Roderick Strong def. Steve Cutler 

- Tye Dillinger comes out and wonders what's next for him. He says he can't keep disappointing the people who've had his back for 15 years. Sanity comes out. Eric Young tries to convince Dillinger to join them and offers him Sawyer Fulton's jacket. Dillinger refuses. Tye fights Sanity off until Damo comes out and attacks him. Damo accepts the jacket and is officially part of Sanity.

-Ember Moon def. Liv Morgan 

- Contract signing between Bobby Roode and Shinsuke Nakamura. Roode talks about his accomplishments and about how he's the biggest draw. Nakamura says he'll kick Roode's head off and it will be glorious.

WON

- Nikki Cross (w/ SAnitY) defeated Kennadi Brink

- Roderick Strong defeated Steve Cutler

Sick Kick by Strong for the win. Post-match, he said he doesn't care what Almas says (they're seemingly building to a match between the two) as his goal is the NXT title.

- Tye Dillinger came out to talk about his future. The crowd chanted "Royal Rumble" and "Number 10." He was then interrupted by SAnitY who had a jacket for him and wanted him to join.

Dillinger dropped it and put the "10" hands in Eric Young's face, which started a brawl. Big Damo, who was not with SAnitY thus far in the taping, came through the crowd and destroyed Dillinger.

- Ember Moon defeated Liv Morgan

Stunner off the top by Moon. They shook hands after but Morgan appeared to be disappointed.

- Shinsuke Nakamura and Bobby Roode had a contract signing for their match at TakeOver: San Antonio. Good stuff here. The crowd was into both men and reacted to all their statements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 5:48 PM, Eivion said:

I like the idea of Sanity trying to lure in Dillinger while he down in his luck.

It's exactly what Bray should have been doing; trying to lure in midcarders down on their luck in need of repackaging; if the writers on the main roster didn't completely fuck up at every turn with the Wyatt Family.

• Like 2

Another good episode of NXT.

Nikki Cross ripping whoever she faced to shreds was great. She physically dominated someone a lot bigger than her in a really quick squash. She looks like a total star already.

I give zero craps about Roddy Strong. Total snooze.

I liked the Tye recruitment angle but still with Sanity had a better mission statement. The announcers tried to state that for them but Eric Young needs to spell it out -- we are burning down this world. Liked the sneak attack.

Revival vs. TM was fun. Liked Dawson's trash talk. Calling someone tilapia is the best. The post-match beating was awesome.

Fun contract signing. Bobby Roode is the best character in NXT right now. I loved him talking about his influence on the locker room and how those piece of trash fans are also starting to emulate him. Nak also held his part. Roode freaking out when Nak teased his taunt was great stuff. 

Omg, Damo using the one-winged angel...

Really looking forward to Roddy/Almas at Takeover. They're quietly two of the best workers in NXT right now, even if Roddy is completely devoid of personality. If it gets time, it could stand out on that lackluster card.

I skipped the entire main event promo, which is the first NXT segment I've skipped in a long time. Least interesting TO main event since the fatal 4-way in 2014.

That's Damo's finisher and I really think he should change it because it looks second rate compared to Omega's.

I'm waaaaay behind but it's disappointing to hear that they've neutered Roddy in terms of personality. He was such a king sized bastard in PWG. Between his in-ring work and establishing his character so well, he was the Total Package (hit the music!).

• Like 2

I don't know, I think it looks pretty good. He's a huge bastard so it makes the delivery of it look more hurty than when Omega does it. Better than giving another big guy a powerbomb, even if the powerbomb is still the best wrestling move.

Roddy is so bland. So, so bland. It's like he absorbed all of Almas' blandness. Maybe he can win their feud and take Almas' recently found charisma too.

I get why Almas didn't click at first. He has a new language to learn and is working without a mask. That's really hard to translate. But he's a great heel.

But Roddy? Ugh. I don't think I've ever been more bored watching someone with a prominent spot in NXT. 

Kenny snaps fools down and then nearly spikes them. Damo's looks really loose in comparison but he has a few inches on Omega so they're coming down from a higher distance and his is safer, not that Kenny has hurt anybody AFAIK. To each their own.

Roderick in PWG plays the frat boy jock so well. He was pretty generic in ROH and it's unfortunate he's doing more of that in NXT from what it sounds like and the bits I've seen than his PWG shtick, because I think there's money in that. Hopefully more of the PWG variant comes to the fore as time rolls on.

• Like 1

He played the frat boy jock as well during his run as the leader of the No Remorse Corps and was awesome at it.

Yes, Aries injury was bad timing and hurt Roderick greatly. They work so well together and were probably my favorite ROH tag team. I wanted an Aries & Strong/DIY feud really badly.

Even if Roderick were devoid of personality, I think his ringwork more than makes up for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

But Roddy? Ugh. I don't think I've ever been more bored watching someone with a prominent spot in NXT. 

Bobby Roode is in the title match...

The only difference between his card position and Buddy Murphy is how much effort the CFO$ put into their theme music.

• Like 3