DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling - 1/5/17

Anthem presents Impact Wrestling! Good show continuing where TNA left off in 2016. Bennett/Moose was pretty good stuff. Fact of Life with the Broken Hardys ruled, loved Eli telling Matt he had no idea what he said. Eli always kills it. Interesting direction in the tag division with Decay vs DCC. Sad that Decay lost their theme music though. Great main event with the three top guys, always enjoy all three. Good to see the Wolves together again. Looking forward to follow up as usual.

Full results:

*Show opened with TNA World Champ Eddie Edwards coming out for a promo about being champion and proving to be the best. Eddie announced he had a surprise but Lashley interrupted and said he's heard enough. Lashley said the only surprise is that Eddie is still champion. Lashley wants his title back and demands a rematch tonight. Ethan Carter III interrupted them and said he wants the title back as well in a rematch tonight. Edwards suggested a triple threat for the title tonight and continued to promise a special surprise tonight.

*Moose def. Mike Bennett (w/ Maria Kanellis) (9:00) via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) to retain the Impact Grand Championship after three rounds.

*Swoggle def. Rockstar Spud (1:09) after the Celtic Cross. After the match, Spud got the mic and said he hates everyone for laughing at him so he quits.

*Backstage, Mike Bennett challenged Moose to an anything goes match on tomorrow night's One Night Only: Live PPV.

*Eli Drake hosted The Fact of Life with the Broken Hardys. Eli said he never received an invitation to Total Nonstop Deletion while Matt accused him of just being scared to show up like Meek Mahon's Day of the New or the Bucks of Youth. Eli said he would've turned it to Total Nonstop Dummy so Matt got mad at him for questioning his magic. They argued back and forth until Eli challenged them to a Tag Team Titles match at tomorrow night's One Night Only: Live PPV against he and a partner of his choosing which they agreed to. Eli tried a cheap shot but Matt knocked him back and hit the dummy button before leaving.

*Decay def. The Helms Dynasty (3:27) when Abyss pinned Everett after a chokeslam. After the match, the DCC appeared and smashed beer bottles over Abyss & Crazzy Steve.

*Maria Kanellis came to the ring with Laurel Van Ness & Sienna. Maria talked about her and Mike Bennett debuting one year ago then called out Allie. Maria ran Allie down on the mic then goaded her in to a match with Sienna.

*Sienna (w/ Maria Kanellis & Laurel Van Ness) def. Allie (5:10) with the Silencer after Allie got distracted by Laurel flirting with Braxton Sutter at ringside.

*Eddie Edwards(c) def. Ethan Carter III & Lashley (19:51) to retain the TNA Worlds Heavyweight Championship with the Boston Knee Party on Lashley after Davey Richards returned to stop Lashley from hitting Edwards with the world title.

Was there an actual decision rendered in the Edwards vs. Lashley at the Compound match? I guess it was a draw since there was no licensed official around to render a 3 count. Of course the real 3 Count wasn't around then either.

Anyone else think it was weird how they plastered the Anthem logo everywhere? Unless they're going to rename the company anthem wresting, what is the point of that?

The branding is such a mess... We've got TNA, Impact Wrestling, Anthem. 

I really think this was as good of an episode as any to reel in new viewers: first live show in a while, first show of the year after a hiatus, first after Total Nonstop Deletion (If you believe that TND brought in new viewers), first show after the announcement of new ownership.  So you'd think they would start some new feuds, put on some decent matches, debut some new wrestlers.  But it was just kind of...there.  In fact, it played like the last match of a set of tapings, nothing really special about it.  Also the choice of wrestlers used in this episode was really questionable: no Arron Rex, no DJZ, no Galloway (That one wasn't their fault), and, especially, no Rosemary?!  

Like, if I was someone tuning in for the first time in a while for one of the above reasons, I'd see a Hornswoggle match, Maria doing the same promo twice, as well as WAY too many recaps and I'd go "Eh, same old TNA using WWE cast-offs, and doing way too much talking."  There were some genuinely fun shows from last summer through even to some of the taped shows in December that could convince someone who had stopped watching during the Russo stuff or Aces and Eights debacle or a jaded WWE fan to tune in regularly.  I just feel this wasn't the show to take advantage of (possible) new eyeballs on the show.

I really enjoyed Moose/Bennett. Easily the best match of that style since they started the division. Bennett's new physique makes him look more powerful and I thought Moose looked good too. No Maria BS either.

Rest of the show was awful. You would think with the new people in charge that they would start off with something exciting like maybe Lee vs Everett(even though they are partners) or a good tag match. instead, they have a shitty Eddie Edwards talking segment. I just can't take him seriously as champ. He's about as vanilla as Seth Rollins. The Spud match was just embarrassing and reeked of 2011 Hornswoggle vs Chavo feud. Spud carried that company on his back with ethan back in 2015 and this is what they do to him? When is his contract up? He should go the Andrews route. Broken Hardy's stuff was what it was. I'm probably the only guy on this board that can't stand the Allie angle so thought that segment sucked. Main event was technically alright but all that for a Davey Richards return. Blah. TNA was better in the summer of 2016 and now it seems to be going backwards.

Wow - clearly I watched a different show than all of you since that was a fucking awful show

How the fuck do you wait 40 minutes to even show the Hardys and a hour before bringing them out in front of the live audience?

Besides the weird Decay face turn they also hot shotted the break up angle of a real life couple. I mean Allie kinda sorta finally declared her independence and they immediately start with Sutter being seduced. (And Sutter acting like there was nothing he could do was infuriating)

The production was worse than normal as they constantly missed action by cutting to crowd shots of disinterested fans (it was like Kevin Dunn on crack). Plus the sound was frequently fucked up (like Spud not being able to talk over his music or Edwards answering a phantom question)

My wife was burying the cardio of Moose and Miracle made me very happy. They worked a 9 minute match with two breaks that totaled 6 minutes yet they both were acting like they were doing a 60 minute iron man (oh and one break was a 1 minute but the other was 5 so that is some real good planning on TNA's part)

OH! And they spoiled the results AGAIN by posting the judges' scorecards before announcing the winner

And Josh Matthews and Pope are still on commentary 

But hey at least they let you know there was a PPV tomorrow finally. That's better than ROH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Wow - clearly I watched a different show than all of you since that was a fucking awful show

Well, everyone's expectations of TNA at this point are so low that the bar to hurdle is 100 feet below sea level, so anything above atrotious qualifies as a great show.

I think most people agree that last year's creative was pretty solid and a vast improvement over the status quo.

This was a weak continuation of that. A lot of people expected a full blown makeover on this show, even though it was reported that major changes wouldn't happen until the next takings. So we'll see. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

(And Sutter acting like there was nothing he could do was infuriating)

Forgot about this but it was the WORST.  When he gets in the ring to check on Allie, but LVN grabs him by the arm and he just walks away from her like "Cannot break...the...spell" and just stands there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thibs said:

Anyone else think it was weird how they plastered the Anthem logo everywhere? Unless they're going to rename the company anthem wresting, what is the point of that?

The branding is such a mess... We've got TNA, Impact Wrestling, Anthem. 

Total Nonstop Anthem