DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

Thinking way back to 2011, wasn't the IWGP intercontinental title introduced to be the defacto US title? At least that was the idea when MVP won it.

Guess they're serious about expanding into America this time...

• Like 1

Well, last time when they did the IC title tourney,  they co-promoted with JAPW, made them foot the bill, and bankrupted the promotion.  That's why the IC belt ended in Japan.   So I would hope it turns out better for RoH this time around. 

On 5/13/2017 at 11:44 AM, Ace said:

It's round robin. So we're gonna get multiple Jay Lethal, Hangman Page, and Cody matches. If we lose a MinSu match because of that, I'mma be incensed.

Per the WON update yesterday

There was a mistake in the translation and the New Japan U.S. title tournament that will take place on 7/1 and 7/2 in Long Beach will be a single elimination tournament, not a round-robin tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

So since there was an open date on the schedule the day before a Giants game, DDT decides to have a show in the Tokyo Dome. But with no fans. And no ring.

They streamed the match live and the full thing is up on their pay site but here is the first half of Takagi vs Minoru Suzuki in the Dome.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, Ace said:

Same. I wanna see Minoru Suzuki. Not frickin' Hangman Page.

And from this one post, I am completely sure that you're not Delirious.

• Like 2

The Suwama match from last year is must-see. Epic New Guy vs Previous Guy title defense in the spirit of Misawa vs Jumbo. 

I don't think I've seen any of the other ones in their entirety but people were real high on his match with the Bodyguard. 

• Like 1

Also random 'blast from the past' post:

Just stumbled upon Tenryu vs Yoji Anjoh from WA-R, 21/07/1996. Why have I never heard about this match in my fifteen+ years of following Puroresu? It was violent, super heated, unique, scary and shoot-y at times, and just generally seems like the kind of match from the 90s that would have had cult classic status for awhile now. Maybe the tape of this show wasn't readily available until the dawn of the YouTube/Dailymotion age? Anjoh was so great in this match, whenever I watch his old stuff nowadays he seems like the precursor to the Minoru Suzuki "psycho dick-heel shooter" character we have all known and loved for so long now...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I say this as someone who hasn't actually watched AJPW in a long time, but FWIW the upcoming singles match between Doering and Miyahara seems like bad booking--I assume that you'd want Miyahara to bounce back from his title loss and Doering to re-establish himself following his injury.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2017 at 10:07 PM, Control said:

I say this as someone who hasn't actually watched AJPW in a long time, but FWIW the upcoming singles match between Doering and Miyahara seems like bad booking--I assume that you'd want Miyahara to bounce back from his title loss and Doering to re-establish himself following his injury.

They do counterproductive stuff like this fairly often. They gave Suwama his singles win back over Miyahara in an unceremonious semi main event recently just to make Suwama look strong going into his title shot with Ishikawa.  Suwama in general has suffered way too many singles losses over the years since being made top guy; sad to see they're moving in that direction with Miyahara after protecting him so long.  

Another All Japan "random": KAI certainly is jobbing a lot since he went to AJPW.  I always thought he was a failed Takahashi clone anyway so I don't really care but it's weird seeing him drop so many falls so quickly after being a top dog in W1 and Z1.