DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Random two-part question, that's probably impossible to answer: About when and in what promotion did throwing streamers into the ring during wrestler introductions start? And how has it migrated to some promotions, and not others?

I read somewhere that it started pre-Baba/Inoki split from JPW as a means for a sponsor to get behind a wrestler and have their name appear just before match. For whatever reason the gimmick followed Baba to All Japan but not Inoki in New Japan. You can sort of see how this would also happen in NOAH as well, following Misawa.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alstein said:

Is there a difference between say, Bullet Club fans and Suzuki-Gun fans?

I'm not sure I follow you. If you're saying that people sometimes choose allegiances arbitrarily, I agree. But it would surprise me if there were enough of those people among Japanese wrestling fans for the major promotions have largely non-overlapping fanbases. I mean, Bullet Club fans still watch the other matches.

Random 2000s AJPW observation: Kind of felt like old times when I saw that Hideki Hosaka and Kazushi Miyamoto were opposite one another in the main event of yesterday's post-Onita FMW show. Maybe if they keep using Miyamoto as a top guy he can recruit Yuto Aijima, George Hines, Shigeo Okumura, and some of the other guys who were always hanging around AJPW after the NOAH split. On that note, any recent updates on Nobukazu Hirai's health? I know he's pretty old now and it's not like he was ever a top guy but I liked him and it bummed me out when he got hurt so bad. 

On 12/22/2017 at 2:58 PM, Beech27 said:

Random two-part question, that's probably impossible to answer: About when and in what promotion did throwing streamers into the ring during wrestler introductions start? And how has it migrated to some promotions, and not others?

Some promotions or venues don't allow it because it is a bunch of garbage to clean up.

Is there a storyline as to why Honma ditched the yellow and blue trunks and shaved his head in 2000 during the CZW feud? Or was that just something that happened without explanation?

On 12/22/2017 at 9:23 AM, Evil Otto said:

Bonus points for tonight's match was the fact that Kawada was one of the announcers.  Let's just say Kenou didn't go light on the kicks.

Having watched the match now... you weren't kidding. That, in addition to getting chopped bloody, and managing to make a double stomp look like a stomp, and not a sorta timid two-footed landing that just happens to take place on another person.

speaking of Kawada-ian vioence: stumbled upon this gem from 2012 on Dailymotion tonight while gorging on potato chips. It is AWESOME. you can really see the lasting influence Kawada had on Nagai during their way-too-short tenure as a team---some of his dazed selling here is straight out of the Tosh handbook. in a perfect world Mrs Baba and Mutoh would have never become chummy and post-split AJPW would have consisted of Kawada feuding over the Triple Crown with Nagai, Kea, and Araya for a few years. 

21 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

speaking of Kawada-ian vioence: stumbled upon this gem from 2012 on Dailymotion tonight while gorging on potato chips. It is AWESOME. you can really see the lasting influence Kawada had on Nagai during their way-too-short tenure as a team---some of his dazed selling here is straight out of the Tosh handbook. in a perfect world Mrs Baba and Mutoh would have never become chummy and post-split AJPW would have consisted of Kawada feuding over the Triple Crown with Nagai, Kea, and Araya for a few years. 

Seconded. Kawada/Nagai vs TenKoji in August 01 was one of my favourite tags of the early 00s.

• Like 1

No preorder option or release date yet—just “coming 2018”—but this could be something to look forward to. I haven’t read Chris Charton’s New Japan book either, and that is out, so I’m not sure what my excuse is. Should probably do that.