DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

Only issue with the YLC is that they gotta put the Anabolic  Wrestling Monster over not just cause he's huge and credible but he's also THIRTY friggin' ONE. Kitamura's almost three years  older than Okada, they need to hurry up his push and get him competing with the general NJPW population by the end of next year. Maybe not a G1 run, but it wouldn't surprise me.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:56 AM, sabremike said:

Can someone tell me how to get my own Daryl Takahashi doll to hug and love? I've seen them in the crowd so they have to be available somewhere.

If you don't feel like trying to order from a Japanese site (which would probably be cheaper), Amazon has them too with a Japanese shipper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M02Z3LI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WETVHSLR4XML

• Like 2

Does anyone remember Minoru Suzuki wrestling in a Royal Rumble-type match for a small Japanese indy?  I swear I remember seeing that 10 years ago or more.  I don't remember the match itself.  What I do remember is Suzuki beating up someone backstage when the other guy picked his number for the order of entry.  Don't remember what promotion, but i'm thinking it was Michinoku Pro or Osaka Pro.

Does this ring a bell?  I've been trying to find this match/show for awhile now and can't locate it.  I've looked at Suzuki's matches in M-Pro and Osaka Pro and nothing fits the bill.  Can't find it elsewhere either.  Google is no help.  Did I imagine this?

16 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If you don't feel like trying to order from a Japanese site (which would probably be cheaper), Amazon has them too with a Japanese shipper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M02Z3LI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WETVHSLR4XML

This is what I want for my birthday next month! I'm amazed that NJPW and the plush company haven't gotten together to do an official limited edition Daryl because they could make a ton of money. Or even better come to an agreement to make Daryl shirts and hats.

Do any of the AJPW battle royals over the years stand out as particularly good/memorable? I know there was an all-junior battle royal in like 2001 that Kazushi Miyamoto won in his rookie year, much to the shock and delight of both the crowd and Kazushi himself. Good stuff. Also the one from like 1988 where Tenta wins is pretty cool.

Watched the last two matches of the 10/9 All Japan show, and man, all I can say is really great stuff!  I know the booking of the last six months hasn't been perfect, but if they are making a concerted effort to show the fans that Ishikawa, Doering, Suwama, and of course Miyahara are the four top-shelf guys going forward, I say good for them.  It's not so usual for me to comment on looks, but all four guys looked in tip-top shape, and I think it made a big difference.  Again, it feels like All Japan knows they have momentum, more eyes on their promotion, that sort of thing, and the performers are reacting accordingly.

Anyway, the last 10 minutes of Miyahara and Suwama is bonkers.  

I'm looking forward to watching Kotaro Suzuki vs. Koji Iwamoto next.  Kotaro has been more of a heel since returning, which I find refreshing.  Iwamoto is already quite impressive, and a guy who I think can greatly benefit from working with Suzuki.  

• Like 1

(((AJPW SPOILER ALERT))) Kind of disappointed with the AJPW results from today. Why have Miyahara and Suwama put on a 30 minute clinic if they were just going to hot potato the title again? Was really hoping Suwama would have a year-long monster reign and then put over someone in a really meaningful way. 

That being said, agreed with everything Otto said above. Those four guys in particular are fantastic, and the promotion always delivers solid cards top to bottom. Can't wait to see what they do with Jake Lee once he gets back. 

I've been trying to get into New Japan, and I having trouble trying to get the structure. Like, okay, there are factions, but what are the purposes of each faction or the characteristics. I mean I get that Naito's faction is like what happens when David Bowie and Prince's Revolution goes to Mexico high on Peyote and train in the Lucha Arts, and the guy who likes to headbutt people's faction is like MMA except Pro Wrestling, and Bullet Club are a bunch of obnoxious foreigners who want to colonize Japanese Wrestling or some shit, but what I don't get is why? Or CHAOS?

And then there are the matches which I guess are like cultural things with fighting spirit or whatever, but please explain what is the point of a finisher if you have to hit the damn thing at least five times to get the count or why Kenny Omega's V-Trigger actually looks better than his convoluted One Wing Angel. I am not trying to be this pretentious wrestling guy because I really want to get into the product and I only seen a few matches at a time, but I could use some guidance and reference here.

12 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

(((AJPW SPOILER ALERT))) Kind of disappointed with the AJPW results from today. Why have Miyahara and Suwama put on a 30 minute clinic if they were just going to hot potato the title again? Was really hoping Suwama would have a year-long monster reign and then put over someone in a really meaningful way. 

That being said, agreed with everything Otto said above. Those four guys in particular are fantastic, and the promotion always delivers solid cards top to bottom. Can't wait to see what they do with Jake Lee once he gets back. 

Does Akiyama dislike Suwama? It just seems like every time I see AJPW result Suwama is getting kind of fucked with losses he really shouldn't have amount wise. I don't really pay too much attention so maybe its just big matches.

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

I've been trying to get into New Japan, and I having trouble trying to get the structure. Like, okay, there are factions, but what are the purposes of each faction or the characteristics. I mean I get that Naito's faction is like what happens when David Bowie and Prince's Revolution goes to Mexico high on Peyote and train in the Lucha Arts, and the guy who likes to headbutt people's faction is like MMA except Pro Wrestling, and Bullet Club are a bunch of obnoxious foreigners who want to colonize Japanese Wrestling or some shit, but what I don't get is why? Or CHAOS?

Kind of a quick summary on factions:

CHAOS are basically The Establishment.  They're all about tradition and doing things the honorable way, for the most part (a notable exception is notorious cheater Toru Yano, but he's largely considered a harmless court jester type).  Although, as is often the case with Establishment types, they (specially Okada) can be arrogant and somewhat unlikeable at times.

Los Ingobernables are their polar opposite, essentially wrestling nihilists who get their kicks undermining whatever fans and other wrestlers hold dear.  That said, they've been softened considerably over the last half year, and I'm not sure there's a chapter in the anarchist's cookbook about marrying stuffed animals.

Bullet Club's driving principle these days seems to be that NJPW's global expansion would be better served by having gaijin like them on top, but there's considerable division within the group as to what their methods should be and who should be leading them.

Suzuki-gun are the purest heels in the company.  It's largely comprised of NJPW expatriates and NOAH guys who returned to the company as invaders this year to cause havoc.

There's also Taguchi Japan, which is a loose affiliation of otherwise unaligned babyfaces who don't really have much of a uniting principle besides wearing matching jerseys on Taguchi's insistence.

• Like 2