DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

Excited for that team as both guys seem like a natural fit. Riddle should get over huge for his MMA background and surfer bro good looks. And you're right, Riddle/Suzuki is a match up that needs to happen. I've only seen highlights of Riddle/Shibata but if they're any indication he should match up with New Japan guys pretty well.

Suzuki having to set the mic down to wipe away tears while cameras popopop is really unsettling. It's a press conference, of course, so I'm in no way suggesting it's inappropriate; but intersections of private grief felt by a public figure are always shaking. This, maybe more than usually, MiSu being who he is.

Well, I probably shouldn't have tracked down that take, but here we are, and I'm worse off for it. 

To pivot drastically: Brian Cage tweeted one of the always popular "here's people I'd like to wrestle" lists, and--since, as even Cage mentions, he's basically on every such list at the moment--Omega was on it. Kenny responded that he'd be interested, and Cage (hilariously, to me) basically said "cool, I know it was my idea, but you do the work to get it booked because New Japan will do whatever you want, k thanks".

The match would be a spectacle and the NOAH crowd seemed to like Cage a lot, so hey, maybe; but I'm actually more curious about peripheral implications, should such a match happen. That is, Omega has voiced a desire to defend the US title against talent outside of New Japan--he even said it was a goal before winning the belt--and the office would potentially enjoy having a de facto "super indy" belt they can completely control, instead of relying occasionally on ROH and Rev Pro titles. (Which they, admittedly, seem to be able to control just fine, when they feel like it.)

Others have written extensively about the pros and cons of treating the US title as the gaijin belt compellingly enough that I don't have an incredibly strong opinion either way. I am very curious to see what it becomes, however. Perhaps because we seem a long way from finding out? Omega is due to defend against Juice, and then perhaps Elgin. There are more and more Kenny/Kota teases, but when asked specifically if he was interested in the US title, Ibushi responded that he was interested in the holder only. (Which is a point in the gaijin belt column, if you're scoring.)

Regardless, Omega's trajectory seems pretty established until January 5, and even after that... well, it's hard to find the time for him to play the promotion hopping touring champ, or even for New Japan to feed him a revolving cast of foreigners. Maybe Juice or Elgin would fit that schedule better, and the former could possibly grow with the belt impressively; but neither currently have the stature Omega does, and the title is still only a one-off tournament's prize. And while it was cool enough as that, a belt you're going to keep around needs to be more, ultimately.

(And nobody should spend a morning wondering how or if that will happen, but.)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

My favourite* take on this on Twitter, since deleted, was that Suzuki had crocodile tears because the cameras were on and if Takayama has been injured so long why didn't they do this sooner. There are just not enough socks filled with horse manure sometimes.

*least favourite ever

When you get thrashed that hard for something so fucking stupid without knowing your head from your own ass, you're better off just closing the entire account to boot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So what were they announcing in the conference, just Takayama's condition or what? 

God, after Suzuki's done and they pan back and you can see the look on all three of their faces... 

they're doing an event for Takayama, a benefit, and there's going to be a paypal people can donate to. couple of anecdotes about how much they love the guy. Takagi is devastated too.

1. I've seen Shibata vs. Riddle in its entirety and can confirm it's awesome. 

2. Cage vs. Omega stateside for the United States title would be aaaaamazing. I might be biased as a Southern Californian who'd throw my wallet at NJPW if it happened, but, I tend to believe that with the success of the Long Beach show, New Japan could run regular satellite shows in the Los Angeles area. A card headlined with Kenny vs. Cage for the United States Championship, with the Bucks somewhere underneath and a sprinkling of NJPW "names" working indie talent would do strong numbers. 

Seeing this made me curious: I knew Kento's first reign was very long, so I wondered how long his second would need to be in order to pass Kobashi--who won the belt(s) three times, but never seemed to hold them for long--on the list of most days spent as TC Champ. In fact, Miyahara's first reign was enough, at 464 days; Kobashi only held the belt(s) for a total of 431 days. Not really shocking, considering Kobashi's famous ace run was in NOAH, whereas Misawa basically dominated the title scene in All Japan. For reference, he totaled 1799 days (a record) over five reigns (tied with Suwama and Kawada for the most) with 21 defenses (also the most); all marks, you have to think, Miyahara might eventually threaten. (He's at 8 defenses already.)

I suppose I've got records on the mind, considering what Okada is on the verge of accomplishing with his current IWGP reign. 

(An aside: It's awesome that Kobashi posing happily has become such a prolific genre.)

• Like 2