DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

What are some of the better joshi matches of the past couple of years? I've heard a lot of positives about the obvious candidates like Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo, but I've never known what are the 'best' matches that have come out of Joshi events in recent times. It doesn't have to be involving just those two, but just a selection of stuff that might be worth seeking out would be cool. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Liam said:

What are some of the better joshi matches of the past couple of years? I've heard a lot of positives about the obvious candidates like Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo, but I've never known what are the 'best' matches that have come out of Joshi events in recent times. It doesn't have to be involving just those two, but just a selection of stuff that might be worth seeking out would be cool. Thanks.

You know we do have a joshi topic. Anyways I'm too lazy to look up dates right now, but I'll give you a few to start. Check out Meiko Satomura's titles match from 2015 & 2016 against Io & Kairi. Check out Io's series of matches against Mayu Iwatani. Check out Kairi & Yoko Bito vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Jungle Kyona. Check out Meiko vs. Chihiro Hashimoto for Sendai's belt. Check out Hashimoto's first title match with Aja Kong. There also Io vs. Kairi from 2016's 5*GP tournament and a title match from March. There is other stuff, but that is what I can remember offhand right now. Its mostly Stardom with a bit of Sendai.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Liam said:

I know this list has gotten long but anything in red (which covers a lot of Io, Kairi, and Meiko) I'd recommend give a watch to as time allows (disclaimer, this is my list): Recommended Joshi Matches. All matches have links to the video. I'll be happy to expand more if you have any storyline type questions, join us in the Joshi Thread if you have any questions :)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I didn't know Kojima still wrestled for promotions outside NJPW. Is he a freelancer?

My understanding is that this is a special appearance. Didn't he also refuse to job to Minoru Suzuki on his way out and that's why they used Hama to transition the title?  Furthers my theory/argument that he is/should be losing to Suwama.  I'm also the world's biggest Suwama mark tho so maybe I'm just denying the inevitable.  

• Like 2

I imagine the only way Kojima is winning that match is if they're furthering a storyline.  I also thought the issue the last time was more directly related to friction between Suwama and Kojima, but it's been so long now, I'm really not sure.  

If Kojima puts in the effort like he did in the most recent G1, that match could be quite good.  I've always been a Suwama guy too, so I'd really like to see him look strong with a convincing win here.  

While I understand why some people like him and why he keeps getting booked, with the heat he garners and whatnot, Taichi is slowly replacing Kanemaru as the wrestler who feels most like he's wasting my time.  Even worse, they're both in the same faction.  Jeez, I just remembered Iizuka's in Suzuki-gun as well.  Holy crap, what a black hole of suck.  Desperado looks like a million bucks in comparison.  

I think you're right. As wacky as it sounds,  I believe the situation was Kojima was supposed to drop the belt to Suwama on his way out,  refused,  offered to give Hama the rub,  then they decided to put the belt on Suzuki for awhile so that when Suwama finally beat him it would carry more weight than if he just beat Hama.  If only there were a written record of these things somewhere.  

I've always had a soft spot for Taichi just cuz I always think of him still as Taichi Ishikari,  Kawada's final (and failed) protégé. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 3:26 AM, sevendaughters said:

DDT run so many shows and sub-shows that it's hard to get a handle on. They've got a Sumo Hall coming up headlined by Takeshita and Endo with an undercard that seems relatively spartan in terms of interest. 

For some reason I remembered this, and stayed curious: Puroresu Spirit had it doing 5900. The main is online too, if anyone is interested. It's the over the top bombing raid you'd expect, but they're athletic enough to make that impressive, and mostly do a nice job selling the struggle to hit a bunch of stuff that could otherwise look very cooperative, but instead appears appropriately violent. 

Question: Who'd be good to hit up for joshi dvds?  I mostly just order from IVP these days, but about the only full shows i buy anymore are recent-ish NJPW.  i'd like to come by some AJW/Arsion/GAEA shows on dvd, but I really haven't kept up with tape traders.

Mostly, I'm looking for someone with Dreamslam I (4/02/1993) show.  IVP has the show, but it apparently is PAL format.  Want to be able to watch it on the ancient VCR in my study, not computer.

Is Lynch still around?  Anyone have his email address.  I haven't bought off him in many years and don't appear to have saved his email address or catalogs.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Question: Who'd be good to hit up for joshi dvds?  I mostly just order from IVP these days, but about the only full shows i buy anymore are recent-ish NJPW.  i'd like to come by some AJW/Arsion/GAEA shows on dvd, but I really haven't kept up with tape traders.

Mostly, I'm looking for someone with Dreamslam I (4/02/1993) show.  IVP has the show, but it apparently is PAL format.  Want to be able to watch it on the ancient VCR in my study, not computer.

Is Lynch still around?  Anyone have his email address.  I haven't bought off him in many years and don't appear to have saved his email address or catalogs.

Thanks.

[email protected]

The RealHero Archive has Dream Slam I (& II) as well as a decent amount of older joshi footage. Lynch would have pretty much everything that aired from the late '80s on. Dan Ginnetty has a lot of '80s All Japan Women's. I bought a big ol' misc set from him ages ago and, like with so many of his sets, have still yet to get around to it. [email protected] was his email. Not sure if he's still doing trades or if that's still his email though.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The RealHero Archive has Dream Slam I (& II) as well as a decent amount of older joshi footage.

Um, i had no idea this was a thing.  Actually, I wasn't really sure what a Google Drive was (I'm old).  Holy shit.  Who was in charge of telling me about this?  That person cleatly didn't do his job. 

Yeah, it's fucking awesome and what people thought tape trading would turn to back in the early Youtube days. Between that and the official subscription services, we've got most everything that's taped.

There's also an All Japan Archive which is just as glorious. If New Japan World doesn't get their shit together with posting old shows and comm tapes, I hope somebody does something similar for New Japan. Their weekly show in the '80s through '90s was fucking great from what I've seen and a nice change of pace from what All Japan presented.

There was talk about ZSJ's future as a heavyweight in the G1 thread, and obviously he's challenging Tanahashi for the IC belt. But, we did get to see what a match between he and the current Junior champ looks like, should New Japan go that direction with him. (Obviously this isn't the matches thread, and this match didn't take place in Japan, but I think it's still most relevant here.)

• Like 1

I don't remember them ever really committing to him all that much beyond what a token title challenger would receive. Just looking at his singles matches in the company from '01 through '05 (when I was really watching), he would beat light heavyweights, young boys, and lower midcarders but not much beyond that. He had really good big, mean guy offense and the look to boot. The Iron Claw Slam fucking ruled.