DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Whatever happened to Kazunari Murakami?

He was in the Inoki thing that just closed. He was working the yakuzaish asshole gimmick to the hilt. Took over the IGF office. Would work matches in a suit and batter the young boys. He is still as great as when I last saw him regularly in Big Mouth Loud.

All this talk about Inoki and Murakami is giving me flashbacks to Makai Club-era NJPW. Whatever happened to Ryushi Yanagisawa? And Enson Inoue? Do Tatsutoshi Goto and Michiyoshi Ohara still ever work Japanese indies? So many unanswered questions from one of the shittiest eras of a now-once-again-great company. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, Belgian_Waffle said:

Enson Inoue

Funny you mention him, he did an episode of one of those Viceland documentaries (I think it was Michael K. Williams' show?) interviewing his Yakuza buddies that I saw a couple months ago. It was ostensibly about unregulated fight club shit they were up to. One gangster was on there talking about how he stabbed a restaurant host in the eye with a fork one night, just because dude was getting on his nerves.

Took over the IGF office. Would work matches in a suit and batter the young boys

I really need to see this

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the finals of the Fire Festival this year? 

Spoiler

Seems kinda nuts to have Tanaka win, both since he's already won four times in the past and has been champ since March and so just completed dominated the whole company by winning the tourney as champ. I guess if it eventually leads to a big match with Obata dethroning him and finally winning the title then it will all have been worth it, although it's not like anyone follows Z1 anymore these days anyway. 

Underground (chika) Puroresu is submission/KO/TKO finish. No 3 count. Opposed to the above video, they usually have a short ring, but the ropes are always chain. No running the ropes or jumping off of the ropes. Intermission has a barely clothed pole dancer and/or a rapper in the ring. Every show that I have been to has been literally underground in a basement dojo or club. I saw Yoshihiro Takayama wrestle there once. They usually have an after party that is semi open to the public. At the party in the dojo, they took down the chain ropes, everyone sat on the mat and shared food and drink like a picnic. It is a pretty fun and unique promotion. The title belt is not gold or silver or any metal. It is a wood carving.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...or heard of?

This Yakuza stuff is interesting to me, I didn't know one of the Mad Dogs was connected. What's the story behind all this?

I only included Goto's name because he's a face from that era I'm not especially sad to not see much anymore. Didn't mean to imply he has Yakuza ties (although also not saying he doesn't, I don't actually know...). 

Yea, they never aired his match on 5/4 so it must have been pretty bad. On DDT Universe they skipped his match which is when he was injured, so they must have known how serious it was since wrestling promotions aren't known for not airing things unless its really bad.

Igf New is actually frozen. If it does comes back, it probably will be under a new direction. Inoki-ism however is the place where Antonio Inoki and co who didn't stay with Simons group. Shinichi Suzukawa left to go to Inoki-Ism.

I've read Igf-New might annouce something for future shows.

• Like 1