DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

That's a rather complicated tale that I'm not even sure of. Something to do with wanting to start up Zero-One and not getting along with Inoki and what not. I'm not sure if he was fired or just didn't re-sign. He returned from supposedly retiring and fought Fujinami at the dome and I think had issues with Choshu as a booker and was either let go or canned around that period. Whether that was a work that turned into a shoot I have no clue. He immediately founded Z1 which is what he wanted to do that got him fired I guess. He may have also mismanaged funds in some fashion. Someone who can read Japanese would better understand all of this.

• Like 1

Sad to hear about Izumida. I always liked him as a comedy worker and wished he had more chances to shine in "big" tags as the comedy guy who can occasionally be counted on to kick some butt when he's fired up. Nobody ever talks about this but Izumida, Taue and Kikuchi as a team in NOAH-circa 2005/06 are the best comedy six man team ever. 

Was it 2004 when he did some weird brushing teeth deal? I remember laughing so hard at him brushing teeth midmatch and clearly remember him just sitting there with a perturbed look on his face and green toothpaste everywhere?

He was fun in those comedy matches and did well when bumped up the card, similar to Masao Inoue.

• Like 1

There's a spot from I think 2005 where Taue decides to grab Kikuchi by the head and use his skull as a battering ram to pound on some Gaijin (probably Scorpio,  who was already embroiled in his nipple twisting rivalry with Taue by that point).  Kikuchi reacts by basically screaming for Taue to stop and flailing his arms around wildly while Taue drives Kikuchi's over and over into Scorpio's ribcage.  When finally Kikuchi starts to lose consciousness,  Taue discards him like a used up Kleenex and beckons for Izumida,  he of the abnormally large and thick skull,  who is of course much more willing and better prepared to be used as a human coconut than poor Kikuchi was.  While Taue continues to pound on Scorpio with Izu's head as a weapon,  Kikuchi wakes up and comes grumbling over to Taue and confronts him with this amazing pissed off and uncomprehending facial expression like "Taue,  man... Wtf....I thought we were friends".  Meanwhile Izumida retains this totally ambivalent expression as though Taue using his head to assault an opponent were the most ordinary thing in the world.  F##K I miss Kobashi-era NOAH so much.  

Been getting into BJW over the last few weeks after not watching for a few years. Is there a specific reason why kasai doesn't appear there anymore? I see him about for quite a other promotions, is he just enjoying doing whatever he wants? 

Same for Sasaki. He doesn't appear on any BJW card but he's fighting for FREEDOMS. 

On 2/26/2017 at 10:13 PM, Control said:

Someone's gotta watch this Bodyguard Triple Crown match and tell us how it goes.

A super hot full house in Osaka rooting for Bodyguard. Except for a couple clumsy spots it was a real good title match. It was close to shocking for a Bodyguard match. Go find it and watch it. Lots of fun.

• Like 1

Can we have a brief discussion about how solid,  if unspectacular,  Kento Miyahara really has become in his role as All Japan's answer to Tanahashi/Okada?  Pretty much all his TC matches I've seen have been effective in getting both him and his opponent over, the Suwama match was probably the best TC match since the company split with W-1,  and the fans seem to really buy into him as the new company figurehead.  I feel like he's one big name outsider feud away from being a legit star.  Maybe they can bring in some big but not unbeatable NJPW guy like Goto or Ishii to really put him over. 

Some are actually quite highly praising him above just being a solid hand. As long as they're better than Muto vs Scott Hall, he's succeeding.

New Japan Pro Wrestling veteran Tomoaki Honma had to be stretchered out of an event on Friday after suffering a severe injury during his match.

Honma was competing in a six-man tag match alongside Togi Makabe and Michael Elgin against Jado, Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii when the incident occured.

According to those in attendance … Jado hit the 40-year-old with a DDT late in the match, but the wrestler landed wrong due to one of his feet being caught in the ropes. He then became unresponsive.

Doctors immediately checked on Tomoaki and he was put on a stretcher, then taken to a hospital.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/honma-hospitalized-injured-injury/#.WLmwlhIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

Link also has a picture and tweet from Japan

5 hours ago, Ace said:

News has since been updated. Honma is now moving his arms and legs and can lift things.

Thank goodness. I've definitely soured on Honma since the allegations about his domestic abuse came out (btw, was there any legal follow up to that?), but nobody deserves that. Here's hoping to a full recovery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragonzombie said:

Looks like Mutoh might withdraw from W-1. Feeling he is not fitting the theme of W-1.

W-1: Our wrestlers have cartilage in their knees?

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what this means.  What is the "theme" of the promotion and how does Mutoh not fit?

17 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

W-1: Our wrestlers have cartilage in their knees?

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what this means.  What is the "theme" of the promotion and how does Mutoh not fit?

Everyone with a contract in w-1 is either a young or old junior worker except Kono and Soya. Far different from the Ajpw pro wrestling love era which had many actual heavyweight natives and gaijin. 

42 minutes ago, Dragonzombie said:

Everyone with a contract in w-1 is either a young or old junior worker except Kono and Soya. Far different from the Ajpw pro wrestling love era which had many actual heavyweight natives and gaijin. 

Hasn't this basically been the case since W-1 was founded, though?