DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

On 1/13/2017 at 0:22 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I miss the days when each major promotion had their own fan-made site in Stuart's Network with all the latest news. Purolove is great for results but can't go into detail like those sites used to.

Yeah, that was how I kept up with All Japan. Now I can't find reliable updates anywhere.

52 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Yeah, that was how I kept up with All Japan. Now I can't find reliable updates anywhere.

Recently, I've found Puroresu Spirit to be pretty solid when it comes to All Japan updates, upcoming cards, etc; 

6 minutes ago, Liam said:

Before the IWGP Heavyweight Title, what was considered the major New Japan singles title?

Antonio Inoki held the NWF Heavyweight Championship throughout most of the 70's. From 1973 to 1983, Tiger Jeet Singh and Stan Hansen were the only others to have (brief) reigns.

Who are some big name Japanese guys who legitimately haven't had a match in ages who in theory could still get into good enough shape to work a few cards and draw a big gate?  I've always wondered about Maeda's potential cache for something like this.  I know he's old as dirt now and has took a pounding over the years,  but I imagine he stays in pretty good shape.  He has heat with pretty much everyone but if NJPW could get him to come in for a Dome match against someone like Nagata or Shibata who could work that style without exposing Maeda's age too much I could see it tearing the roof off the place a la Nakamura vs Sakuraba from a few years back.  

Takada and Kawada would be the other two names that come to mind but I don't think they'd have the holy sh-t value of seeing Akira Maeda in a 2017 NJPW ring. 

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Who are some big name Japanese guys who legitimately haven't had a match in ages who in theory could still get into good enough shape to work a few cards and draw a big gate?  I've always wondered about Maeda's potential cache for something like this.  I know he's old as dirt now and has took a pounding over the years,  but I imagine he stays in pretty good shape.  He has heat with pretty much everyone but if NJPW could get him to come in for a Dome match against someone like Nagata or Shibata who could work that style without exposing Maeda's age too much I could see it tearing the roof off the place a la Nakamura vs Sakuraba from a few years back.  

Takada and Kawada would be the other two names that come to mind but I don't think they'd have the holy sh-t value of seeing Akira Maeda in a 2017 NJPW ring. 

20131123110944_175616655.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah, wasn't he enjoying his unofficial retirement running a noodle shop? That said, I may not represent the majority of modern New Japan fans but if Kawada showed up ready to go, I'd mark out so hard my neighbors would call in a noise complaint. 

• Like 1

Yeah agreed on Kawada. I'd heard about how much weight he'd dropped but if he took the year to beef up and get into shape and have a solid match against Go or Suwama or someone he's never had a competitive match with before I'd freak out pretty hard.  Hell even if he just came back for a big 8 man retirement tag like Kobashi did, you could get Akiyama, Mutoh, Omori, Fuchi, and a bunch of other guys who are still around from his era and let the face-kicking start. 

Edit: Also, I would pay good money to watch Inoki make one last attempt at immortality and die eating a Rainmaker.

I seriously don't want to see even a photo of Kawada ever again unless he looked as last I saw him, skinny and smiling. The fact that the man made a clean break after Misawa died is proof that he has a good head on his shoulders. Let him run the noodle shop forever, he's earned it.

On the other hand, Inoki can and should probably do what Belgian Waffle suggested. He's certainly crazy enough. I think he'd probably end up going over some tomato can shooter in IGF instead though and we'd hate him even more. 

• Like 2

I like quibbling about things no one else cares about: Kohei Sato and KAI go to a 30:00 draw for the Z1 title? Since when are title defense main events 30 minutes and not an hour?? I'm thinking someone refused to do the job last minute and Z1 knew these two couldn't fill the 60:00 so opted for the unconventional half-hour broadway instead. 

It sounds odd but I have known people in real life that when they got older, they lost weight and somehow it made them look worse. I mean I knew they were healthier but when you are used to seeing people more beefy, it can look off when they suddenly have loose skin and less girth.

From what I have heard he isn't interested in the wrestling business anymore, which is why he doesn't ever (I don't think) show up to events in any capacity. Someone mentioned they went to his restaurant (which is apparently overpriced) but he wasn't interested in talking about wrestling. 

I can't say I'm terribly surprised at the NOAH news, in the sense that I knew that someday I would be reading it, just wasn't sure exactly when.  

Truth be told, despite the financial black hole they're clearly in, the core crew that NOAH currently has, now that Suzuki-gun has left, is a really tight, talented group.  Every one of them will find employment elsewhere (and in many cases, get significant pushes), if that's where this all ends up going.

The old Noah ltd had massive debt. The new Noah parent, Noah Global entertainment(formerly estbee) started up a new one in nov. So they cleared their debts.

They transfered all trademarks and titles over. Uchida seems to be going for a strength based Noah. I.e fight atmosphere, everybody wearing black, the k.o finish Marufuji does, etc more.

No, I think you're the first one to mention it here.  Man, the guy was only 51.

While I can't roll out a list of must-see matches for him, I will say that something else quite notable about him was that he was apparently the wrestler who went on record regarding NOAH's ties with the yakuza in a tell-all book from years back.  Simply put, that took a lot of guts.