DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

On 1/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, Oyaji said:

Anybody going to sign up for DDT Universe when it starts on the 23rd? They're doing a free month subscription like what WWE did with the Network. It's 900 yen, so it's not exactly cheap. I'm wondering what kind of back catalogue they'll have... If they have a lot of the early years, I may just give it a shot because I remember generally enjoying their goofy shit with Poison Sawada Julie and company. 

Depends on the frequency of Tokyo Joshi Pro, what I'll probably do is sign up every three months or so to catch up, then cancel it for a few more months.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Depends on the frequency of Tokyo Joshi Pro, what I'll probably do is sign up every three months or so to catch up, then cancel it for a few more months.

I'll do at least this, tho I'm lazy enough and DDT existing makes me happy enough that I might just subscribe straight up.

The latest Observer has a fascinating translated interview with Kidani where Dave basically breaks down how bad Kidani's line of thinking on expansion are bit by bit. Highly recommended. It certainly doesn't sound like Kidani has any idea of what he's doing regarding US expansion and certainly hasn't learned from past experiences.

I don't know if the time is right for Jake Lee, but if the Bodyguard can get a shot, well...

No offense to the Bodyguard, mind you, as he's fine in his tag team with Zeus, but in a Triple Crown title match?  I hope it goes well, let's leave it at that.  

As far as challengers go, and adding to Ryan's point, you've got Shuji Ishikawa right there if they're willing to go for it, Kengo Mashimo has already been booked as a strong rival, and since Sekimoto had a shot, why not Okabayashi?  Joe Doering has returned as well, but like Suwama, I think they'll need to see how he looks in-ring before jumping into that.  If Manabu Soya wants to thrown down the gauntlet, that'll generate some heat if they book it right, although I have zero idea what his relationship actually is with the company at this stage.  Granted, I don't expect half of these ideas to pan out, but they all feasibly could.  

I totally forgot about Soya...back before his injury at the end of 2012 he was the guy I was hoping would go all the way and feud with Suwama and Shiozaki for the belt. A lot has changed since then and he's never been the world-class talent he was since that injury but like you said if he decides to throw down and start pushing himself to the limit again he would be the perfect rival for Miyahara. Ishikawa is a good one too, I could actually see him as a transitional outsider champ between Miyahara and Zeus. 

I am surprised people are signing up now since you'll only get eight free days and not all content has been uploaded/only one live this month. Instead of waiting til Feb 1st when you'd get a full month for free plus three live shows. Everyone has to be first :P 

I'm not going to buy it atm, I just wanted to see how the functionality was. Note, if you want to be insanely confused/amused/bewildered watch Kota Ibushi's Apartment Wrestling DVD. He was taxed with evicting tenants from an old building that wouldn't leave who all just happen to be various pro wrestlers wearing their gear in total crapholes(not the size, that's just what Japan's like) and has to fight his way to the top. There's a lot of Japanese spoken and you may not get some of it, but the action speaks for itself. Warning, Dieno may or may not have been having sex with Hiroshi Fukuda. I won't spoil it! :-x It's from 2011.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I'm not going to buy it atm, I just wanted to see how the functionality was. Note, if you want to be insanely confused/amused/bewildered watch Kota Ibushi's Apartment Wrestling DVD. He was taxed with evicting tenants from an old building that wouldn't leave who all just happen to be various pro wrestlers wearing their gear in total crapholes(not the size, that's just what Japan's like) and has to fight his way to the top. 

This sounds like the comedy puro version of The Raid. 

• Like 1

Them yelling out "things" in English or after that part? Or was it them talking to Kikuchi about his growing produce indoors and how needed to look for a job? Scandalous!

17 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am surprised people are signing up now since you'll only get eight free days and not all content has been uploaded/only one live this month. Instead of waiting til Feb 1st when you'd get a full month for free plus three live shows. Everyone has to be first :P 

DDT Universe clarified on Twitter, sign up anytime, it's free until the end of February. They're not even collecting CC numbers, or PayPal info. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Them yelling out "things" in English or after that part? Or was it them talking to Kikuchi about his growing produce indoors and how needed to look for a job? Scandalous!

Them yelling stuff in English, which makes you wonder why a Japanese dude is yelling that shit out in English in the first place