DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2017!

Kevin Wilson

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Regarding Stu's site, was that really Scott Norton's wife posting on the message boards years ago (as "CuzICan". irrc)?

I've always wondered if that was legit or a troll imposter.  Kinda thought it really was Mrs. Norton, but a troll wouldn't be a surprise either.  Good times.  She was rather entertaining.

I can confirm it was definitely her, because I purchased a Scott Norton jacket from her that only he would have had and she included a signed photo. Her apparent dislike of Josh Barnett was quite entertaining.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Not to that depth there aren't. I don't mean results, I mean 1,000 words of translations and details about every show, upcoming shows, etc.

This.  I probably wouldn't have gotten into NJPW to the degree I did without Stu's postings.  Stu always seemed to have info about upcoming angles, injuries, contract negotiations, etc.  I use Purolove, but the coverage seems kinda superficial compared to what Stu did back in the day.  Even when other people were running AJ, NOH, K-Dojo, etc. sites under the Puroresufan banner, the NJ site had the deepest coverage.

Back on topic, I rewatched a couple of the WK matches.  The main is ridiculously entertaining, though the sheer amount of big spots isn't going to be for everyone.  I really loved Naito-Tanahashi, but it occurred to me that people who gripe about the Rainmaker as a convincing finisher must not watch Naito much.  Granted, the Rainmaker requires the other person to oversell the move to make it look devastating, but I'll take Rainmaker over El Destino any time.  I kinda wish El Destino was the setup for another finisher.  Don't hate it, but don't buy it as a finisher that will put down other main-eventers.

Yasuda would've been perfectly acceptable, fun even, had they not pushed him above the midcard. Big goofy bastard. 

Random mid '00s question: why did Blue Wolf retire? I enjoyed him even though he was mostly generic in the ring. The world needs more Mongolian pro wrestlers.

I was never a fan of Stuart's methods or way he handled criticisms (most valid at the time) of New Japan. His dedication was impressive but I always felt like I was reading propaganda. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I can confirm it was definitely her, because I purchased a Scott Norton jacket from her that only he would have had and she included a signed photo. Her apparent dislike of Josh Barnett was quite entertaining.

She was fun though her hate of Barnett did get to a level where I think we had to ban her for a short period one time. Even she admitted she was a little crazy with that one.

Fine, no DDT for Kevin, someone find a Guts World blog. I think Blue Wolf just wanted to go back home. I haven't heard a thing about him since then. From the Japanese wikipedia, he seems to work for whatever business his father and brother run in Mongolia. I think it is a dojo.

It was Anzawa if memory serves me correctly. A quick search confirms that is what he retired to do. I have no idea if he still does or not. His brother also wrestled, for K-Dojo, he too is retired.

Holy cow, how did I not know that Blue Wolf's brother is Asashoryu? I guess I really didn't pay much attention when he had has run in NJPW. But yeah, nothing else about him recently unless someone here knows Mongolian and can check if Asashoryu mentions him on twitter.

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I completely forgot how defensive Stu used to get when someone criticized NJ's booking.  Lol, that was funny.

The one defense that I never understood (and it's not  only limited to Stuart in the least), would be when someone would point out how shitty of an attendance a show had, and talk about how this showed that Shibata for example, isn't really a draw. And they come back with "Well, without him, it would have been worse!"

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

The one defense that I never understood (and it's not  only limited to Stuart in the least), would be when someone would point out how shitty of an attendance a show had, and talk about how this showed that Shibata for example, isn't really a draw. And they come back with "Well, without him, it would have been worse!"

Well, generally I've never been a fan of low attendance = bad draw or vice versa since there are so many factors that impact the size of a crowd. But that goes for any promotion, not just New Japan. I dunno if there are more than four or five wrestlers in the world that are legitimate "draws" in the sense that if they main evented a show then no matter what it would have a higher-than-usual attendance.

Shibata is currently being put on blast on Twitter by his "former mistress". Screenshots and everything, she also claims to have nudes of him. Apparently Goto was/is involved in this too.

Will this end up like Taichi or Homna?

I would guess it would depend on several factors - I don't personally know if Shibata or the woman is married. In the US it wouldn't matter at all but Japan seems a bit more sensitive to it, but on the flipside punishing Taichi was easy since he was a bit mid-carder while Shibata is higher on the card. I doubt it will seriously alter New Japan's plans but who knows.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Shibata is currently being put on blast on Twitter by his "former mistress". Screenshots and everything, she also claims to have nudes of him. Apparently Goto was/is involved in this too.

Will this end up like Taichi or Homna?

I was thinking Seth Rollins. Although that more or less blew over. 

I was going to comment with all this website talk on how odd it was in this global interconnected age how dependant we still are on one or two blogs or other sources translating. Even with a big multinational product like NJPW most of the stories miss us.

I'm going to convert that sentiment into my dismay at not knowing the salacious deets on this current potential scandal. How is Goto involved? Is he the type who likes to watch? Who was fucking who? Where can I find these Shibata nudes? Is this what their dome match was actually about?

• Like 1

Anybody going to sign up for DDT Universe when it starts on the 23rd? They're doing a free month subscription like what WWE did with the Network. It's 900 yen, so it's not exactly cheap. I'm wondering what kind of back catalogue they'll have... If they have a lot of the early years, I may just give it a shot because I remember generally enjoying their goofy shit with Poison Sawada Julie and company. 

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Anybody going to sign up for DDT Universe when it starts on the 23rd? They're doing a free month subscription like what WWE did with the Network. It's 900 yen, so it's not exactly cheap. I'm wondering what kind of back catalogue they'll have... If they have a lot of the early years, I may just give it a shot because I remember generally enjoying their goofy shit with Poison Sawada Julie and company. 

They've got a lot of current junk to throw up as content. They have like 70+ people they use on their roster over several companies, so there will be plenty of junk.