DVDVR Message Board

The Music Festival Thread

CSC

Coachella (11am pst) and BottleRock (10am pst) passes both go on sale this morning, so it's officially music festival season time again.

BottleRock lineup looks awesome and Coachella looks hilariously awful. 

Boneroo says they will be announcing their lineup on Jan 11.

Spoiler

BRNV17_Website_LineupHomepage_R3.jpg

Spoiler

C1Q7n4MUQAAnedl.jpg

Thanks for starting this. I am very fascinated by Coachella booking Hans Zimmer.

I don't know that I'll do any major festivals this year, but I do have my eyes on maybe a night of Jazz Fest, Sweetwater 420 Fest, and Shaky Knees.

Bonnaroo's headliners will pretty much be U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Weeknd. I'm not sure who is the 4th person on that top line.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Is this the first year that Coachella has done the two-weekend format like ACL? 

I have no idea what Hans Zimmer will do that a festival audience would want to see.  

No different than any other instrumental band that would perform at a festival, really. Except this is more epic.

Hans Zimmer at Roo would sell me on going to Roo just because it would be something unique and different. As @Casey said, instrumental bands are nothing new to festivals. Hell, I'm a huge Explosions in the Sky fan, but to hear one of the better modern day composers play select pieces in front of a bunch of wooks would be a sight to behold.

• 1 year later...

Well, I just found something less appealing than a Lars von Trier film featuring Charlotte Gainsbourg and Idris Elba -- a music festival featuring Charlotte Gainsbourg and Idris Elba.  

Oh, no, wait, strike that - Bonnaroo has even that beat, since the words "Post Malone" and "Grand Ole Opry" never ever EEEEEEEEEEVER fucking belong together.  Though if we're being honest, the words "Post Malone" only go well with the words, "can go die in a fire at an ass factory, so he burns to death under a giant pile of asses".

Edited by Contentious C
Cutting back on the double negatives...

There's plenty at Coachella and Bonnaroo (and any other festival) to go and see. I usually try and focus on the things I like on these lineups, not the stuff I hate. Because if I focused on what I hated, I'd be bitching about Phish getting three fucking sets.

This is probably one of the first diverse "something for everyone" Roo lineups in awhile. The last few have not been good. I can't go because of life, but it's maybe the best mainstream festival lineup I've seen this year. That Coachella lineup is rough for my tastes, but you could see that coming with Golden Voice's other lineups (The Hangout Fest lineup is atrociously bad).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Without zooming in to read the fine print on the non-top acts, I count... One.... band I'd even consider paying money to see on those two posters combined.

There's more acts I'd like to see on the first day of Coachella than all of Bonnaroo combined, but like I said earlier, I live way too close to Bonnaroo not to go and know of a lot of people that get tickets for cheap (or free) and sell them even cheaper (or just give them away).

Okay, now I actually zoomed in to look at that first day of Coachella, and there are 4 acts I've heard of. Of them, there is one I occasionally listen to, none that I would spend money on. But I'm old.

I do now see Gojira is on the same night as The Avett Brothers at Bonnaroo, so we can bump it up to two acts I'd consider spending money on.

• Like 1

It's also entirely possible that Gojira would be on at the same time as the Avett Brothers, so, hypothetically if you bought a ticket, you might only get to see one of them due to sets being at the same time or overlaping.

It kind of sucks to realize I'm finally financially secure enough to go to a music festival that isn't in Austin, only to realize that there's no longer anything there for me.  Maybe if I put together the money to go to Frontiers in Italy or UK and just see trashy 80s-esque rock bands for 2 days, but even having international air fare doesn't make it worth BUYING international air fare.