DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2017 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

I almost prematurely screwed up and announced a winner (forgot about Stipe vs. JDS happening which would bring AxB to three), but it appears we have some controversy. Right now, on the tiebreaker it's six champs (Nunes, DJ, TJ, Max, Whittaker, & Cormier)for AxB to five champions for Setsuna...NOT counting the lightweight title. However, McGregor hasn't been officially stripped or vacated yet. So that would put Setsuna at six (Nunes, DJ, Max, Conor, Tyron, & Stipe) as long as Conor is still champ. I mean he finished up the year as champ. I would feel weird about awarding it either way when UFC hasn't said it explicitly, and it's clear that there is something going on behind the scenes. 

The freaky thing here is Setsuna would be at four if Matt Hughes wasn't a real life miracle. But yeah, I don't think I want to do a deathpool regarding UFC HoFers or fighters. So that's going to be a change for this year. 

AxB would be at four if Gall lost a fight in addition to the Randy Brown fight.

I have to come up with another tiebreak. 

Well, if @Setsuna is desperate for the win, I'll concede. But if he's left the board or is taking a month off or something, I'll win by default of still being here.

Or we could make it a rollover, if we're doing 2018 predictions as well.

I completely missed this thread until you tagged my name. I'm here, lurking pretty much every day.

No, you take it based on two factors - 1) When I made the prediction I thought the odds of GSP returning were slim to none and talks had already broken down. I remember it not being too long after that the rumours took on steam and/or the announcement was made so that could be seen as a bit of a gimme pick by people more in the know.

And more importantly, 2) You didn't predict a death. In my defence, I was thinking more of the dudes who probably abused steroids for large portions of their career (not going to name names because I learned my lesson), but had that prediction come true it's still a pretty sleazy choice on my part. Had Matt Hughes passed, I'm not a religious person but if I were, I'm pretty sure there would be a special place in hell for me. El Salva, I don't think you would need to make that an explicit rule - I'm not going to be doing that ever again and really, who else would? I guess I can take that as my legacy from this year's picks ; Clause 3.2 (The Setsuna Clause) - Don't be a dick and predict deaths.

Congrats AxB!

• Like 1

No worries - I actually planned on dropping out after the GSP fight was announced or nulling that pick. Then when news came out about Hughes' accident had the same thought.

In the end, your picks are just flat out better / more thought out.

I somehow only got 2 champions correct, but I still think my logic was pretty spot on for most of them.  

I said a healthy Cain is the best heavyweight, but didn't think he'd actually fight.

I said Jon Jones would be champ if he wasn't suspended

I said that there is absolutely no way to tell who would be the middleweight champion, but picked Romero.

I said Khabib is the best lightweight, which he is, but hasn't had the opportunity to fight for the title.

I said Jose Aldo until someone proves otherwise and said the Max Holloway is a monster(and he clearly proved otherwise)

I still think Cody Garbrandt is better than TJ, but TJ was better that day.

Masvidal went on his run. Gastelum almost finished Weidman in the first round before getting tapped in the third.

When are we going to do 2018?  I have opinions and need to write them down before I forget them.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I somehow only got 2 champions correct, but I still think my logic was pretty spot on for most of them.  

I said a healthy Cain is the best heavyweight, but didn't think he'd actually fight.

I said Jon Jones would be champ if he wasn't suspended

I said that there is absolutely no way to tell who would be the middleweight champion, but picked Romero.

I said Khabib is the best lightweight, which he is, but hasn't had the opportunity to fight for the title.

I said Jose Aldo until someone proves otherwise and said the Max Holloway is a monster(and he clearly proved otherwise)

I still think Cody Garbrandt is better than TJ, but TJ was better that day.

Masvidal went on his run. Gastelum almost finished Weidman in the first round before getting tapped in the third.

When are we going to do 2018?  I have opinions and need to write them down before I forget them.

I'm probably going to do the thread either tonight or tomorrow and give you guys a few days to get them in.

7 hours ago, Setsuna said:

I completely missed this thread until you tagged my name. I'm here, lurking pretty much every day.

No, you take it based on two factors - 1) When I made the prediction I thought the odds of GSP returning were slim to none and talks had already broken down. I remember it not being too long after that the rumours took on steam and/or the announcement was made so that could be seen as a bit of a gimme pick by people more in the know.

And more importantly, 2) You didn't predict a death. In my defence, I was thinking more of the dudes who probably abused steroids for large portions of their career (not going to name names because I learned my lesson), but had that prediction come true it's still a pretty sleazy choice on my part. Had Matt Hughes passed, I'm not a religious person but if I were, I'm pretty sure there would be a special place in hell for me. El Salva, I don't think you would need to make that an explicit rule - I'm not going to be doing that ever again and really, who else would? I guess I can take that as my legacy from this year's picks ; Clause 3.2 (The Setsuna Clause) - Don't be a dick and predict deaths.

Congrats AxB!

No, that one is on me. I didn't have the foresight to know someone would pick that. In addition, I had no idea anyone would literally get hit by a goddamn train. So it's my fault x100.

Well since Setsuna isn't disputing the results and I can forego a tiebreaker, your Them's Fightin' Words 2017 Predictions Contest is AxB. Congrats.