DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2017 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

RULES:

1. You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
  2. Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you mean.
  3. Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. Examples would be:

- Either Khabib Nurmagomedov or Tony Ferguson will get the next shot at the UFC Lightweight championship.
             - Jon Jones will return and challenge for the UFC Light Heavyweight title in the summer.
             - A UFC show will be canceled/postponed/delayed/moved to another venue.
             -  Tyron Woodley will rematch Stephen Thompson before the year ends.

Basically, X will fight Y who we already know is lined up to fight for a title anyway . I will let you know if you posted something like that. Lets avoid that because it's boring TBH. Now if you altered one of the above examples to make it interesting, that would be acceptable. 
- Tony Ferguson will sit out due a contract dispute which will allow Khabib Nurmagomedov to challenge for the LW title and win.
or
- Tyron Woodley will fight and defeat both Stephen Thompson and Demian Maia to go 2-0 in 2017.
Those two would be deemed acceptable because that is not knowledge we already have. Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones. 

If you make a prediction and/or alter one before the deadline that comes true, that will count unless I catch you making changes AFTER said thing has occurred. Then, your entire set of predictions will be thrown out for this year's contest.
First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on December 31, 2017 (the day after the last tenative UFC event of the calendar year). No two people can have the exact same champions at the end of the year. 

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Womens Featherweight (145lbs):
Womens Bantamweight (135lbs):
Womens Strawweight (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin
2015 winner: Hail Sabin
2016 winner: DreamBroken

I will close the thread and save the predictions to a Word file before the weigh-ins for the UFC Fight Night 103: Rodríguez vs. Penn. So that's January 14 at approximately 4 p.m. CST. 

This year's prize is a short sleeve t-shirt of the winner's choice from UFCstore.com.

Good luck.

HW (265lbs): Cain Velasquez 
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones 
MW (185lbs): Yoel Romero
WW (170lbs): Stephen Thompson
LW (155lbs):  Khabib Nurmagomedov 
FW (145lbs): Jose Aldo
BW (135lbs): Cody Garbrandt
FlyW (125lbs): DeMetrius Johnson
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Germaine de Randamie
Womens Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Womens Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejczyk

This was harder than I thought.  Heavyweight, Lightheavyweight, and the three women's divisions are all pretty thin.  I think Velasquez is the best heavyweight, but he most likely won't ever fight for the title.  The only reason Jones won't be champ is if he's suspended.  There isn't a woman in the world I'd pick over Nunes are Jedrzejczyk, and Holm is technically great, but not dynamic enough to be queen of the hill.  The rest of the divisions have the opposite problem.  

I think Romero eventually smashes Bisping and becomes champion, but who the fuck knows what happens from there.  Rockhold is the only person I'd pick to beat him, but Romero is a crazy person and we never really know what will happen when he fights.  

I think Woodley is a better fighter than Thompson, but his tendency to just stand around in fights will catch up with him one day.  He's supremely talented, has knockout power and great wrestling, but his tendency towards inactivity makes me reluctant to pick him to hold on to that title for the entire year.

Khabib Nurmagomedov is the best lightweight in the world today, but this is lightweight and the margin between #1 and #5 is smaller than it is in any other division.  I think he's the best, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got knocked out by McGregor, Ferguson, Alvarez, or Dos Anjos.  

I am going to assume Jose Aldo is the best featherweight in the world until I see him lose outside of a flash knockout.  He's the best defensive fighter in the history of the sport and I don't see that happening again.  With that said, Max Holloway is a monster, and doesn't give a fuck about my opinion.  

Cody Garbrandt just clowned one of the best fighters in the history of the sport.  He hits like a ton of bricks and his striking defense looked elite against Cruz.  Dillashaw is really good, but his defense is worse than Cruz' by a decent bit and I don't think his chin will hold up to Garbrandt's power.  He's the new Rich Franklin, the best guy who isn't THE guy.  

Mighty Mouse is Mighty Mouse.  He just fought the toughest fight he's had in years and he only lost one round.  He's the best fighter in the world and fights in the weakest division, that is pretty much a guarantee that he'll be champ by the end of the year.

On to predictions...

Masvidal knocks out Donald Cerrone and goes on a fun mini-run to the top of the division like Matt Brown did a couple years ago.

Derrick Lewis gets a title shot.  The division is so thin and injury prone he'll luck into a shot because he's durable enough to be available.

Rashad Evans never fights again.

Either Kelvin Gastelum or Robert Whittaker will beat Chris Weidman.  +

Jose Aldo decides to move to lightweight to avenge his loss to Conor McGregor.  The fight gets signed for 2018.

I'll go with Predictions first:

1: Mickey Gall will lose two UFC matches in 2017

2: Across all televised UFC shows this year (Fight Pass, Fox, Fox Sports, PPV) they will use ten or more different commentary combinations (not including special guest for this one fight deals).

3: A UFC title will change hands on a card held outside the United States of America.

4: The Soulja Boy vs Chris Brown celebrity Boxing match will not actually happen (nb: I have a backup prediction if this is ineligible).

5: An Olympic Gold medallist of some description will sign a UFC deal.

HW (265lbs): Alexander Volkov
LHW (205lbs): Daniel Cormier
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
WW (170lbs): Donald Cerrone
LW (155lbs): Tony Ferguson
FW (145lbs): Max Holloway
BW (135lbs): TJ Dillashaw
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson, obviously
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Womens Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejcek

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'll go with Predictions first:

1: Mickey Gall will lose two UFC matches in 2017

2: Across all televised UFC shows this year (Fight Pass, Fox, Fox Sports, PPV) they will use ten or more different commentary combinations (not including special guest for this one fight deals).

3: A UFC title will change hands on a card held outside the United States of America.

4: The Soulja Boy vs Chris Brown celebrity Boxing match will not actually happen (nb: I have a backup prediction if this is ineligible).

5: An Olympic Gold medallist of some description will sign a UFC deal.

HW (265lbs): Alexander Volkov
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
LW (155lbs): Tony Ferguson
BW (135lbs): TJ Dillashaw
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson, obviously
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Womens Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejcek

Yeah, gonna need a substitute for #4. The only way that would work is if you said it was happening.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Okay, replacement for #4: A former UFC Champion will compete for the belt they lost (ie same weight class), and lose.

Can you specify a little on this? Right now, we have about 2 or 3 former champs (Dillashaw, Werdum, and possibly Velasquez mid summer) all coming back to challenge for the belt at the moment. Bantamweight ain't that loaded so Dominick Cruz can challenge for a belt during the calendar year too.

OK, this former champion will have been without the belt for more than a full year before the rematch takes place. Is that OK?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

OK, this former champion will have been without the belt for more than a full year before the rematch takes place. Is that OK?

Not really too bold, but yeah it is acceptable now.

I'm hoping for Nicola Adams, but she's more likely to go with Pro Boxing. Being a boxer and all.

This thing closes in 3 days. Is it just going to be me vs Supreme vs Elsavaje (who hasn't posted his picks yet, but surely will)?

See how you have to have different predictions to everyone else? If someone picks the exact opposite of someone's pick (like, I said Mickey Gall will lose twice, if someone else says he'll lose one or fewer times), is that still cheating via plagiarism? Or can you pick the contradict?

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm hoping for Nicola Adams, but she's more likely to go with Pro Boxing. Being a boxer and all.

Katie Taylor has a deal, but I don't know if any other female Olympians do. Like the Claressa Shields bout from the Ward vs. Kovalev undercard seemed more like a one off, and she was one of the most high profile fighters male or female from any country. I forgot who it was, but some British promoter said they have no interest in having female boxing. Amanda Serrano, who is one of the best female pro boxers today, is having her title bout on the ShoExtreme portion of the Badou Jack/James DeGale undercard this weekend. However, I don't know if anyone is really making a fulltime investment in female boxing outside Scandinavia, Germany, Argentina, and Mexico. Heather Hardy, who had the one of the two lone U.S. televised female boxing bouts last year, is now a full time MMA fighter. So that speaks volumes about the available options for female boxers.

Basically, Nicola Adams doing MMA is 50/50 at worst.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

See how you have to have different predictions to everyone else? If someone picks the exact opposite of someone's pick (like, I said Mickey Gall will lose twice, if someone else says he'll lose one or fewer times), is that still cheating via plagiarism? Or can you pick the contradict?

It's not prohibited, but doing the Price is Right thing of going one under or one over is kinda silly because there is a variety of choices. For example, person 1 says Fighter A will have two successful title defenses and person 2 says Fighter A will have three successful title defenses. First off, most likely a UFC champ short of injury or drug test failure is going to have 2 or 3 fights during the calendar year. There is zero boldness in either prediction so you might as well have gotten that prediction wrong as far as I'm concerned. Second, you're painting yourself in a corner. If someone tears an ACL w/ no fights at all three months into the year, you're fucked basically with that prediction.

1. Megan Anderson will win the InVicta FC Featherwieght title and by the end of the year be fighting in the UFC

2. Chael Sonnen will fight Phil Davis for the Bellator Lightheavyweight title this year

3. UFC will add a Flyweight title for the Women be the end of the year

4. Bobby Lashley will win the Bellator Heavyweight title this year

5. By the end of 2017 Mauro Ranallo will be calling UFC fights

HW (265lbs): Mioic
LHW (205lbs): Cormier
MW (185lbs): Souza
WW (170lbs): GSP
LW (155lbs): McGregor
FW (145lbs): Aldo
BW (135lbs): Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): DJ
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Cyborg
Womens Bantamweight (135lbs): Shevchenko
Womens Strawweight (115lbs):  Joanna Champion

Hm, I should go with a slight variation of last years picks as I attempt to defend the crown. Always tough.

1. CM Punk WILL win his next fight this year.

2. Donald Cerrone will become UFC Welterweight Champion

3. Cody Garbrandt will beat TJ Dillashaw and lose to Dominick Cruz in the rematch before the end of the year.

4. Mickey Gall will remain unbeaten through 2017.

5. Jinh Yu Frey will become Invicta FC Atomweight Champion

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
MW (185lbs): Michael Bisping
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor
BW (135lbs): Dominick Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Holly Holm
Womens Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jędrzejczyk

1. Ronda Rousey will return in 2017 and move up to 145 to either rematch Holly Holm or fight whoever is featherweight champion.

2. Justin Gaethje will sign with the UFC and fight a UFC lightweight who is ranked at that time.

3. A major shakeup will happen to Bellator causing them to change their current business model.

4. The UFC will have their first show in Russia before the end of the year.

5. A UFC champion (undisputed or interim) will either fail a OoC or post-fight test and get stripped of the their title.

HW (265lbs): Junior dos Santos
MW (185lbs): Ronaldo Souza
WW (170lbs): Demian Maia
FW (145lbs): Jose Aldo
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Germaine de Randamie
Womens Bantamweight (135lbs): Valentina Shevchenko

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

this is an interesting choice. i would be surprised if JDS even gets a #1 contender match this year.

I mean...it's probably going to be Miocic vs. Werdum II w/ Cain challenging the winner of that some time in the summer. I don't see any reason Junior couldn't be a standby opponent or challenge for the belt in the fall. It's the HW division, not lightweight.

Also, AxB chose ALEXANDER VOLKOV. Now that's an interesting choice.

• Like 1

Just now, twiztor said:

not out of the realm of possibility, no, but quite a long shot i would imagine.

Not a long shot considering that heavyweight is still plenty volatile. When you add in that you get a ton of injuries that either postpone fights or make other compelling fights in addition to everyone at the top having shown themselves to be far from infallible, anyone hovering around the top 3 or 4 could be a potential champion. I would have thought Cain would be champ around this time last year, but that's not how the dominoes fell. 

1. A GSP fight will be announced in 2017.

2. Ben Askren will lose a fight this year

3. At least 3 UFC titles will change hands twice this year.

4. Neither Khabib nor Tony Ferguson will fight Conor for the LW Title.

5. A UFC Hall of Famer will pass away     (I'm a terrible person and I don't get why my brain goes in this direction whenever I need to make picks)

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
MW (185lbs): Yoel Romero
WW (170lbs): Tyron Woodley
Womens Featherweight (145lbs): Holly Holm  

I think I'm late for this thing but hopefully still okay. Let me know if any of them are too vague.

Edit : I saw Hail Sabin picked GSP as his WW champion by the end of the year. I thought talks had broken down between both parties so thought it might be okay but I'm prepared to change it. C'mon brain, no more thoughts of drug test failures and death...

I chose Volkov because A: I wanted to pick someone nobody else would, B:I like to support guys called Alexander, C: I figured they would want to push into Russia and creating a Russian main eventer is a good way to do it, and D: It's Heavyweight, anyone in the top 15 could be Champion by the end of the year.

In Russia, Championship belt wins you.

• Like 1

Minakov actually has potential to be a top 10 fighter. Volkov looked pedestrian against Timothy Johnson and might not even be a top 25 HW. If you can't school Timothy Johnson, I'm not sure you have a chance of even beating a somewhat decent heavyweight in the UFC.