DVDVR Message Board

2016 FAVORITE SONGS PLAYLIST

Randy

If we are doing this, I figured I'd get it started.

It's impossible to boil down an entire year to 1 song, but for me DRUNK DRIVERS/KILLER WHALES would be on any playlist for this year.  It is the most interesting song from my favorite album.  It almost feels like multiple songs merged into 1; it goes in-and-out of different moods and tempos.  It encompasses a lot of the themes of their lyrics that you see throughout the album.  It's introspective and sardonic; it critiques and inspires.  It was the best rock song of the year.

Philadelphia's JANK broke up in 2016, but left on a high note for sure.

My favorite stuff from 2016 actually came from a local artist here in Knoxville that records under the name Shriek Operator. The closest comparison I can think of would be Sufjan Stevens but even that doesn't really fit. You can check out his whole album, The God Who Answers By Fire, at shriekoperator.bandcamp.com, and I would highly recommend it.

You can look up "Elegy", the other super song off the record and see the very well done video for it (or just find it in the metal thread) but the opener on this one is probably my favorite. Great intro that sounds almost like Cirith Ungol before the song kicks in, and when it does it's a corker. Great overdriven bass, great Dio-esque vocals (who is thanked first on the album itself), my old net buddy Danzo on lead. Classy stuff.

Fuck, that song just SOARS.

Someone else can delegate a punk song, and I bet it'll be Descendants, but if no one can come up with anything I'll pitch a fastball

The reason I suggested the playlist thing is that like all year there was one Very Clear Best Song I Heard All Year and nothing came close, and could write about it for like a fucking month. Infuriatingly there's no way to get at it on youtube, but it's the album cut of ScHoolboy Q's "Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane" ft. Jadakiss

To briefly summarize my last year, three family members died, someone tried to murder a fourth (not exaggerating), and two others got terminal diagnoses. So a lot of the music I turned to all year last year was brutal and simple. It was only in November that I was calm enough to listen to Not Wild Shit All The Time. Q going the fuck off is what gave me strength during the worst of it. It was vicarious strength.

Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane specifically is a song that's basically a supervillain story followed by the back story, but that's not improtant. What's important is that this beat is fucking amazing and the first two lines of the song is how is going to kill everyone, and then sell enough drugs to eclipse Bill Gates.

And, again, this is just the single version, which doesn't include Jadakiss' verse (which is a damn shame because I've pretty much got it memorized by now, it's that good) and a Perfect beat switch. Everything after the drums dropping at the end is single version only.