DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

During the second match I was thinking about how I would come here and talk about how awesome Dante Fox was and how he got great match out of a decent moves guy, then Prince Puma was like "oh you thought that was impressive, watch this."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Dante Fox is nuts for agreeing to this spot. 

I guarantee there've been a ton of times wrestlers have splattered from that high directly to the floor on a dive and without another wrestler controlling them. Sorry Mr. Son.

Dante Fox is more nuts for that stupid top rop leg drop to the apron that will destroy your hip.  I cringe at Roman Reign's non top-rope version, this was worse.

Jax is becoming one of my favs, but I don't want him to keep doing stupid spots.

On July 21, 2017 at 2:46 PM, alstein said:

Dante Fox is more nuts for that stupid top rop leg drop to the apron that will destroy your hip.  I cringe at Roman Reign's non top-rope version, this was worse.

That bump has to be brutal and really the spot doesn't look that great. Fox has talent, but he really needs to channel it better. Getting the hell away from CZW would be a good start. 

On 7/17/2017 at 1:17 AM, A Guy Named Tracy said:

This stuff with Marty, Fenix, Mariposa, and Melissa is going to lead to Melissa getting into the ring, isn't it? I've heard she's trained, but I've never seen her work. 

Granted this is her work from a few years ago. I was actually at this show. 

Oh me oh my FOX vs PUMA. That was what LU should all be about. What a match! Easily best of the season IMO.

And this show was the perfect LU formula of great in-ring action & continuing many stories. The Dominic angle was great.

I WANT THAT REY HOODIE IMMEDIATLY

• Like 1

My mysterious benefactor said this is one of the best eps they've ever had so I had to check it out after missing pretty much all of season two and everything from season three so far. He was not wrong. 

As much as I loved Fox/Puma, which tested my belief that Ricochet is the most agile athlete in wrestling because Fox is a beast, I actually dug Azteca/Mundo more. This is probably because it was a bit more grounded (which is an understatement), Azteca had the best highspot all night with the hilo over the post, and both guys were just laying it in. Then the angle at the end was some perfect heel work. Like Sabin's buddy I want Mundo's head on a platter; he's got to be one of the best heels working right now. It also made me want to see Jack Evans thrown down the stairs again after that little bit of antagonism he did standing there with the rest of them. Great stuff. 

Pindar looks like a fucking '60 Star Trek monster though. That might be the most ill-advised costume ever. 

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, Fox did BUSHI's finisher (MX, the bloody rib/face-breaker off the top rope) and I didn't mind that, amazingly. And he did an RVD bump on Puma's cutter!

• Like 1

Other companies could take a few cues from the build to Mundo/Mysterio.  It's so simple yet so wonderfully executed.  The Fox/Puma match was a PWG-style match that worked so damn well.  I found it interesting that Killshot got booed for the post-match attack considering Fox kept him from winning his Cup match before.  But that should lead to a great blowoff match for Ultima Lucha.

• Like 1

It seems like we missed a middle chapter in the story where Fox and Killshot did a double turn. Fox for sure has babyface motivation as his fellow soldier left him for dead. 

Puma/Ricochet must have hollow bones. I don't how else a guy flies with much ease and grace. It's so weird to think of the scrawny dude with the wild hair fighting Chuck Taylor in dirtball indies has morphed into the guy we see now. 

• Like 1

I just remembered Fox/Killshot had that LMD match with the war gimmick.  That to me was the blowoff match and while I understand people forever not liking each other they should have moved on from each other.  If we're getting another "blowoff" match between them something even more insane than the previous one will need to happen.  But I agree that it doesn't make sense for the double turn.  Even though Fox distracted Killshot first it didn't do anything to stop the course it's heading down now.