DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

Ryback squashed a lot of people there for  a spell too until he actually started going up against name competitors. Admittedly I still have to go back and watch the first 20 or so episodes of the show but I remember all the guys Pentagon was wrecking being on the par of Famous B or lower. You can do a copout badass build for anybody as long as you just feed them nothing but jobbers for three or four months. Sure, he broke Mil Muertes' arm but then what? What were Pentagon's signature wins during the show's entire run outside of beating Spampiro and winning the match for the title shot against Matanza? Meanwhile, a vanilla guy like Fenix beat Mil Muertes how many times, including his first defeat and a title win? It's not just strictly wins and losses either as Muertes has dropped plenty of falls but still remained a focal point and retained his aura throughout all three seasons. 

Besides losing, it seems like Pentagon has been underused on the show overall after the first season. Looking back, I'd almost rather Pentagon not been a part of the show at all so I would've had nothing major to be disappointed about because I've mostly liked the show otherwise. If other political dalliances weren't at play, then these guys clearly not understanding who their most popular interesting character was is strange. The idea of playing the long game or slow build with Pentagon doesn't work if he gets lapped by lesser acts while he's waiting his turn. Mundo's title reign itself wasn't the problem but rather it was preceded by Matanza's long reign ending with such a whimper when Pentagon going over at Ultima Lucha Dos would've been such a better payoff.  

Also the whole woman conquers all story is lame and hackneyed; furthermore, it was clearly done for nothing more than clickbait considering the worker and the abruptness of her title win and reign. They clearly just wanted to something to leak from the tapings to build buzz for Season 3. If they wanted to do something interesting, they would've found a female worker that actually looked like she could beat the shit out of guys. I don't know who fits that bill currently on the indies or in Lucha but that would've been cool. A woman (being given a cheap random title win) that works the same style as everybody else on the show, just unfathomably shitty at it, isn't interesting or groundbreaking.

If this really is the end it will be interesting to read some post-LU interviews where people can speak more freely. I can understand the writers/producers defending the storyline around Sexy Star... the conquering female and all that... BUT if not a single person comes forward and admits casting her in that role was a mistake I'm gonna be very disappointed in the lack of honesty.

The ending montage reminded me of the greatness of season one and most of 2. 

The matches and booking in this episode  reminded me why I gave up on 3. 

Also after that Johnny Mundo “film” I realized Mundo is the brown haired parkour version of rock n roll Dolph Ziggler although possibly dorkier. 

• Like 1

The ending montage as always was the best part. Felt Mundo/Puma had no real drama cause it was far too predictable, and when it ended with so much time still left, the rest of it was all rather predictable too with the exception of the stip being re-added. Matanza launching Dragon thru the cage was amazing and I would've been perfectly fine with that being the actual finish, though the match ended up pretty good as it was.

Thought the finale was decent overall, although that's a super shitty cliff hanger if they never get around to S4.

The triple threat was a fun garbage match and Puma/Mundo was one of the better matches of the season I thought. I really liked how they used their parkour early as a simple way to make them look like the two top guys in the company after all the craziness in the other matches. It felt like a big deal while playing it mostly straight, except for the Rick Knox dive which was so pro-wrestling silly, it was impossible not to love.

The bad parts were Dario as the cliche heel authority figure being all over the show, and the repetitive post-match shenanigans. They should've re-ordered the airing of some the matches. The Pentagon cash-in was particularly uninspired and felt like it dragged more than added to the show after the Puma/Mundo match.

The ending montage was great as usual. It was good to see Daga and Cuerno back this season after all. Didn't expect Pindar and certainly Dario added to LU body count. They seriously at least better have one the writers go on record with the ideas they had for future seasons if they never come to pass.

Chris Roach was on my podcast this morning and said he'd like to come back and talk storyline ideas that would have happened if season 4 doesn't get picked up.

Negotiations are still ongoing.  Like meetings or calls were happening today.

this is a long post about nothing important.

One thing that stuck out for me that podcast was the explanation of Sexy Star's title reign as "LU needed someone who could lose to Johnny Mundo repeatedly in title matches without breaking the character" The last part explains why it Pentagon couldn't be part of the title story, at least in their opinion. The first part seems to reveal they had decided on this path as far back as Ultima Lucha 2 when Sexy Star won the Gift of the Gods - that was done with the idea Johnny would beat her for it, then use it to beat her again to take the main titles from her. It previously sounded like they were open up to other possibilities even as late as the week of the show, and maybe they had an off ramp, but the idea that Ivelisse (or Angelico) was in line to win before they got hurt that I've speculated on doesn't fit that story.

The No Mas match wasn't long before the Gift of the Gods match she won (the second one that season), and I'd guess that gave them the confidence to run with her winning the big belt. I was looking if anyone else would've fit that Worldwide Underground from that Gift of the Gods match. Mariposa, Marty and Siniestro de la Muerte were the rudos in the match, and those would not work. Killshot was there too, but he and Marty still hadn't finished their feud, and Killshot would've been a hard sell as a long term title challenger at point. Daga too, and LU would've been screwed since he was unavailable for most of the season. Night Claw versus Johnny Mundo and the Worldwide Underground would've been amazing but I don't think the fans would've been ready for him either and I'm doubtful he would've stayed w/AAA even if he got a LU belt on his first match. So, that just leaves Sexy Star.

but of course they maybe had decided by the time they booked those seven people in that match. So maybe Son of Havoc was another possibility? Fits the guy who can get beat, stay over, and make the fans angry at Johnny for him losing. He didn't have a lot going on, just got thrown into the ultimate opportunity tournament. (Sexy Star in that tournament would've been worse, but the idea of a Sexy Star/Mascarita Sagrada vs Famous B/Dr. Wagner feud would've been hilarious.) The Mack was in that too and he could've worked, but the fans were not yet backing the Mack as much. Cage as in that but Cage already did his Mundo feud. Maybe Texano? Roach was a lot on what Texano could've turned into that I would've guessed from watching the show, and he and Daga had a really great match not long before the no mas match. The possibilities are wider open than I had thought when I started writing this.  

the other thing about that story was a bit of a "well, what would you do with Pentagon as a rudo, have him beat lesser rudos?" and I was like both "yes, like what you did with Matanza hopefully" and also "I hope you get to figure that out next season"

I thought the fucked up with Dario being Vince McMahon 2.0 instead of a loving evil corrupter who just wanted more blood and chaos. I mean really. I was annoyed with Dario basically getting in Mysterio's grill because...why? He had no reason to interfere in matches and why does he care if Mysterio wins. This entire season ruined his character for me as well.

As for sexy Star...she is fucking dreadful. Before, I did not get the hate, but as this show went on, I could not stad her matches and they were always a low point for me. Like this woman is so uncoordinated that she could legit hurt someone or create these suspension of disbelief within her own matches because her offense is so shit. Even in matches with other women, her matches were ass. Like Ivellisse should have been given that "female empowerment" role because...she is just a better wrestler. Reckless as all hell, but just better.Sexy Star was Lucha Underground's John Cena equivalent except Cena can wrestle a decent match. I mean fu k, I understand that conveying emotion through masks is hard, but you are supposed to react to pain, SS. Also, her godawful acting which yeah, I don't speak Spanish fluently but what in the fuck?

Prince Puma was good for me. Killshot was okay for me eventhough Dante Fox is better. Johnny Mundo....will never be able to act, will he? He is sooooooo corny. In a Dolph Zigger sort of way, but man...wow.

I heard that this was the last season and that is a shame. But oh well. Good show all in all.

Dario fucked over Rey because 

He pinned Matanza and got the belt off him

He then almost murdered Matanza by sending him through the bleachers.

We've been talking about how season 4 might still happen on this very page come on dude

It was Bestia 666 with Vamp probably (like it totally was but who knows if it'll end up being him) - he worked some of the spot show dates at various festivals so it's not really violating any NDA to say he's involved with the company.  Who knows who the character is, though.  Probably some kind of king of the underworld or something.

Dario called his dad.  He said "Papa....papa" and the other end said "Hijo!  Hijo!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 5:00 PM, kiguchi said:

I wasn't able to get into season 3 due to workload reasons. What would be the top 10 (or however) matches that I should go seek out? Killshot vs. Dante Fox seems like it's mentioned a lot so I have that in mind.

In addition to the UL3 stuff, here's 10 more I liked a lot. Man these seem like so long ago:

- Puma vs. Mil from e7
- Rey vs. Chavo from e9
- Puma vs. Mil from e10
- Pentagon vs. Black Lotus Triad from e13
- Johnny vs. Mack All Night Long from e20
- Puma vs. Mil from e21
- Mil vs. London from e26
- Puma vs. Dante from e29
- Johnny vs. Dragon Azteca from e29
- Mil vs. Crane from e30

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1