DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

That match completely over delivered. I was honestly expecting a shit show even with smoke and mirrors and editing. For those that were there, how heavily edited was it? They mostly idiot proofed the match, but Catrina was so great for somebody who isn't a regular worker and hasn't been wrestling much since leaving nxt. 

Also we found out where the blood on the mat before Killshot/Fox came from. I was thinking Marty would've got forked and bled buckets but Fenix tapped a vein and it was gross. 

Ultima Lucha 3 is starting to reach the first iteration's level of awesomeness and that is probably my favourite show ever from any promotion. They do spectacle so much better than wwe.

• Like 1

I enjoy two sides of the same coin angles like the Son of Madness one if they do them well (Octagon/Pentagon, Taker/Kane) but this one was pretty pointless. My guess? They stumbled on another guy with a big beard and wanted to run with it while they could.

I find it hilarious that Catrina, the immortal ghost, resorts to busting bottles over Ivelisse's head. Dario was fantastic in his reactions to that nonsense. As always he is the best. Striker with his pleas to stop the match when Ivelisse started to bleed a little rang pretty hollow coming off the gorefest from last week. Trouble with showing stuff out of order I suppose.

Fenix tapped a vein...yeesh. I have really dug Melissa Santos performances, though pretty over the top at times, in this feud. Watching her vindictively cutting Marty's hair was a nice payoff to The Moth's months of creeping on her.

Striker flat out sucks. When Pentagon was breaking Brenda's arm, he was all "this is why people love Lucha Underground!" and then it was "oh the horror!" during the Ivelisse match. Guy's head is way up his own ass.

• Like 1

That Last Luchadora match was awkward yet brutal. I'm guessing they were adding in chop noise or those were insanely loud. I saw cubs mention that the two spit on each other after the match and then Taya walked off. Surprised they didn't keep that in. Rest of the matches were alright. Havoc took some sick bumps in the main. Not terribly excited for the 2-hour finale. I hope this is the last Sexy Star match I ever see on tv but something tells me that's not going to happen.

Taya/Sexy was a lot shorter than I expected but I enjoyed it, good feud blowoff. Wasn't crazy about Dante/Killshot wrestling again so soon after their match and obviously winning the titles since it was enemies teaming up but thought it was executed fairly well. I still dig Kobra Moon and her group.

Not completely sure of the accuracy of the report but Observer goes into a bit of detail on the impass over a fourth season and seperates the internal opposing sides. One side is said to have EVW (cool), Dorian Roldan (ew) & Vamp (fuck off). So I'm torn on supporting that side if true.

It sounds inaccurate to me but we only talk to one of those sides.  But I think Dave talks to zero of those sides.

Hypothetically, when someone keeps telling everyone something cost say, 4 dollars when it really cost 2 or 3 dollars, I tend not to trust their financial analysis.

Some of us never could.

Highlights of the live version:

Sexy Star whacks Taya with a fake wrench, swinging a foam wrench is too hard for Sexy Star to control.  Fake wrench flies into the crowd and hits a fan in the head.  Fan just stands there going DUHHHHHHHHHHH instead of selling it because he was a shitty ass fucking noob VIP or something.  I can't express enough how much I hate that guy for not selling it.

Sexy Star botching one of the false finishes because she can't count to ten.  There's real evidence that she can't count to ten actually- it wasn't just because the ref was counting in English.  During the Perro tribute, she did the ten bell salute and all of us SWORE she did 11 bells.  This just confirmed it.

They also did a whole pull apart after the match that basically continued the angle, and that was cut from TV.

If season 4 doesn't happen, I'm going to point at them not really pulling the trigger on Pentagon as the reason why.

No, this isn't me being a stupid Pentagon mark here.  Well maybe a little.  This is me being tough on writers who I really like as people and think generally did a great job with the show.

Like, Vince gets shit for being out of touch and stupid, but he knew when to get on board with Stone Cold.

These guys had the Stone Cold of the temple by giving an awesome looking luchador a gimmick lifted from Bloodsport, and it fucking ruled.  I got people to watch the show based on this.  And they did.  All but one of them stopped watching, and this is people that even went to some of the tapings at the temple here.  I feel like they were so into pushing the characters they created and owned that they didn't want Pentagon to get as over as he did, really.  It took them two full seasons to think of a way to own a version of his character and they had him lose his first match under the gimmick - and man don't even get me started on how he was booked before that or throughout Season 3.

Now they're trying to grab onto what they should have done then and it might be too little, too late.

• Like 3

Fuck showrunner Erik Von Danniken and his precious slavish devotion to seeing through his little creations through their character arcs while putting Pentagon on the backburner when they weren't busy outright embarrassing him. He could've been their Stone Cold, he should've at the very least been their Taz, instead he was their Eric Cartman; "he's a dick and he always get his because he had it coming; what a cool twist that piece of shit characters who barely even appear on the show suddenly show up just to beat Pentagon or get their payback."  Nothing against Johnny Mundo and his epic run as chickenshit heel champ but the belt also became just another prop once Matanza lost to a random flippy move in the middle of Aztec Warfare III, after all that build.

I just wanted to blame the author of Chariots of the Gods somehow for LU's pending doom. The writers are the main deciding vote for who wins and loses or gets the belt next? I always figured Ian Hodgkinson being the master was some kind of inside joke and he was actually the head booker. Explains a lot. Hard to book consistently when you're intoxicated from McRib glaze. Probably some Smackdown retread scrub is the man, right? Some hack who learned never listen to the fans and always stick to whatever arbitrary pecking order they jotted down on their sanitary taint wipe.  

I agree completely on everything re: Penta. I'm not a writer so I have no knowledge of how it works or anything but to me it seemed like they couldn't capitalize at first b/c they taped so far in advance, then they kept coming up with ideas to delay and delay and delay Penta's rise to the top because the chase is cool and all. But the chase is not cool when you have to wait so long between seasons & he's resorting to going back to doing feuds with people he's already run through. This entire universe should be built around him.

I don't know either writer personally... DJ has always been cool to me & helped me get tickets for a taping once so I've obviously got nothing personal against him. Just sometimes I feel like the writers on the show think they are the most important people and the actual wrestlers are just playing roles to get the stories over. Like the Sexy Star thing was never working at all but they were hell bent for some reason on doing a woman conquers all story and were going to ride that to the end no matter what even though it was obvious it wasnt working. Or the Famous B/Brenda comedy stuff that seems to get way more play than other acts on the show because clearly the writers love that act. Like why are we wasting time on silly skits with those two?

I'm looking forward to next week but at the same time also not looking forward to it. Mixed emotions I guess. I am curious whether they filmed multiple scenes as possiblities to end the season where if they knew for sure they were coming back they have something planned and if they think they may not come back they have a scene where the entire LU universe blows up or something. I read spoilers so I know the match results but it's the story stuff I'm super intrigued to see play out since nobody would have known what they have planned with all that. I think Cubs & I are at an impasse re: the "lord" in the limo. I think it's building up to be an actual wrestler, Cubs thinks it'll just be another celebrity cameo.

In theory, we're only going to see the limo guy if Cage wins. If Mil wins, that's gauntlet is going to the police station and Crane might give it to Catrina too. Agent Winter and the limo guy think they're getting winner whoever it is, but they don't seem aware of the Catrina/Vazquez connection.

(This is different from the Daga/Sword thing, which I'm joking about now but will be seriously annoyed if it doesn't happen this week. If you only watch versions of the shows with no commercials, this is not something that was just shown in the S3 trailer and never mentioned again. They ran a commercial that aired for some 20 episodes straight promoting their Creator Spotlight which included a bit of Marty laughing from early in the season, and a shot of Daga swinging around the sword. They really should NOT have done that, it would've been better if we never knew Daga was on this season at all, but the way they wanted people to experience the show promoted that scene so they better deliver it.)

I have a lot of thoughts about Pentagon and this show that I'm saving for after the finale, but I have to acknowledge that the people who booked Pentagon in Season 2 and Season 3 were the same people who booked him to destroy (non-Sexy Star) people for the last 25 or so episodes of season 1. Pentagon was awesome before he set foot in LU, but the arm breaking squashes were a career turning point for him. He executed them perfectly, but only because they gave him a great opening to work with. Saying someone is all bad or all good at what they did overlooks some nuances.