DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

Last night's episode didn't do anything for me. Boy the people running this thing REALLY like their wacky gimmick matches and comedy gimmicks. Not sure why the Rabbit Tribe needed to get so much shit in on Matanza instead of just getting murdered. The match with the cops was just building to the funny spots instead of being any sort of blood feud. Drago/Mack was fine but super short.

At least next week looks loaded. Hoping we can get at least one of the matches without a run-in.

I wasn't at these tapings and won't have time to watch this episode for a while but you gotta love a show called Lucha Underground where only one fucking luchador wrestles in the whole episode (unless you want to count the socal guys in the rabbit tribe)

I'm just saying it here because I probably won't be doing the podcast this week (I have school)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 10:48 AM, Tromatagon said:

Killshot/Dante at UL3 is the match that I've been hinting at being one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen in my life.

I'm two episodes behind but hope to be caught up in time for Wednesday, that looks like a pretty wild match.

I remember. There's a reason. There's a clue in the photo they used.

Live, the Killshot/Fox match felt so long that I was sure it was a full episode match, but I couldn't figure how they'd make into 5 TV segments without violating their "no commercial breaks during action" rule. Adding another match is how. 

segment 1: Texano vs Famous B.
segment 2: Killshot vs Dante intros and vignettes to set up other things
segment 2: Killshot vs Dante fall 1
segment 3: Killshot vs Dante fall 2
segment 4: Killshot vs Dante fall 3 OR maybe it was straight falls and something else surprising happens here

I've seen worse, but yeah that was pretty nuts. 

The more I think about it though, maybe I haven't seen worse

Spoiler

Fox fell off a balcony onto concrete through three panes of glass. And the fake glass can cut you up just as bad -- remember when Cyndi Lauper hit I think Jericho or somebody, maybe Ziggler? over the head with that picture frame? Plus the gore on the gurney, woof. I'm really surprised nobody actually bladed. Some of the stuff in it, like that DDT and the Spanish Fly onto the chair, were just as gnarly as the rest. Peck mentioned people looking away and it was definitely Melissa, she couldn't take it. 

EDIT: Top matches with glass involved

1. Takashi Sasaki vs. Yuko Miyamoto

2. Headhunter A vs. Headhunter B

3. Angle/Shane

4. this one

5. everyone else

Poor refereeing in the first blood fall as if the official had made Fox roll up his pants leg (following the splash onto the ladder) he obviously would've found that he had a skinned knee. We might have been spared the brutality of the third fall. Also I must be jaded because once it went to the balcony I was expecting one or both guys to go through the glass off an actual move and not a simple shove. The entire match lived up to the hype. I missed whatever the sick DDT spot was (as they were coming back from break to begin the final fall) because I was in the kitchen grabbing a bite and fell asleep towards the end of the replay.

Match lived up to the hype. Fox is fucking crazy but his execution is so crisp and I buy his facial reactions 100%. Normally I'd eye roll a no sell like he pulled off later in the match but his expression suckered me in. Just awesome. 

I enjoyed Marty vs Fenix. Fenix hit a vein it seems like and that match was somehow more bloody than Dante/Killshot. Not sure it was smart to have two matches with a heel licking the blood off the face of the babyface in a row.