DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

Yeah, I dunno how even the loyalists defend the ending tonight. Atrocious straight out of WWE nonsense. 10 weeks of great build down the drain. Dario going full heel so the group with aliens, gods, dragons, time travelers, etc still has to use the heel authority figure trope. I don't know who thought this was a good idea but it killed so much of my goodwill the show had.

Tournament final wasn't so hot either but seemed heavily edited. Not sure for messed up moves or time shaving.

Vampiro was everywhere including a point in tourney final where camera kept cutting to random shots to avoid showing him doing a lap around the ring even though you could clearly see everyone in the crowd watching and reacting. Super.

Dario & Vamp end up as the two most important dudes was the story told.

Don't even get me started on the Sexy Star nonsense.

• Like 2

I popped when Benjamin Cook called Sexy Star the worst champion in the history of wrestling. Other than that, none of the matches lived up to the expectation. The mask vs mask match was pointless. Veneno gets attacked by Joey Ryan in full view of the ref and somehow loses by count out. Puma/Pentagon Dark wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was really good, but it seemed too short. What was the point of the trophy presentation? Hated the finish of the Mundo/Rey match like everyone else. 

All of this dumb shit was shot the weekend I didn't go to tapings because I had the flu

See the shit they pull when I'm not around?

The constant not going with Pentagon is fucking stupid - he is the most popular guy in the promotion.  You either strap a rocket to the guy like fucking Stone Cold or you just do a bunch of 50/50 shit, make him less over, and can't get season 4 greenlit.  It's still not greenlit, btw.

Like, anything is too little, too late at this point, because motherfucker should have gone over at UL2.  Guy broke his spine, got healed with mystical buttfuck dungeon powers, and then loses to go on to put over a group of girls that aren't even signed to the promotion and jumped to the WWE at the earliest opportunity (or are still trying) while the thing that finally beat Matanza was A FUCKING ROLLUP.

• Like 1

Count me as someone else unimpressed with the show, save for the backstage segments.

The CC final not being the main event of an episode made it feel less important and the match itself was underwhelming, especially given the participants.  I like Puma but him going over was one of the least interesting choices they could have gone with.  At least Sexy Star didn't win.

The less said about the fuck finish of the world title match the better.  Please tell me Dominick isn't training to be a wrestler.

While I love the people involved, great guys, this company is the new 2001 era WCW

They released a bunch of artwork for Ultima Lucha Tres, coming Wednesday, September 23rd!

September 23rd is a Saturday.  AUGUST 23rd was a Wednesday.

FOR

FUCK'S 

SAKE

This is painful for me you guys, it really is

Shit, man, it honestly hurts to read stuff like that.  Knowing how huge into LU you are that has to really suck.

I really don't want to say it, but may not having season 4 would be a mercy killing at this point.  The show's generally still great, but the cracks are showing more and more.

I think it's for the best that it either dies off or somebody else buys AAA/El Rey out and goes full bore with it, because as is (read: half-assing it), it's incredibly frustrating and the talent is in a shitty situation. When this show peaks, it's wrestling heaven. But ever since early season 2, I feel like it's peaking less and less often. I blame Sexy Star partially.

We'll always have Ultima Lucah 1 though. My favourite show of all time in terms of variety, long-term booking, and execution in the ring.

• Like 1

PREACH CASEY! It's hard to believe we're done season 3 (well the tapings are done...) and they've protected Vampiro's charachter way more than Pentagon. I mean... dude is a killer and just walked off sulking after losing last night like he was Cortez Castro or in the Rabbit Tribe. I'm half expecting them to start him feuding with Vampiro again based on that finish since Puma is moving onto Mundo and Penta has nothing to do.

Yeah it really sucked going from such a high the previous week to such a low this week. Nothing they do now can ruin the greatness of season 1 & most of the greatness of season 2. They just got way too cute here in season 3.

• Like 1

Any word on how popular the seasons they've got up on netflix are?  If it's doing well and with GLOW being a success I wonder if there would be any interest in it becoming a netflix series.  I can't imagine the overhead being as high as with other shows.  Even with producing more episodes you've still got people paying admission to help offset the costs.

Pretty sure they don't charge their audience and it's a first come first serve deal. Of course, that could change.

I don't know if he has any connects or not but Dr. Lucha on WOL a month or two back said if there's a season 4, and that's a big if at this stage, it would almost assuredly be the last. 

I was actually thinking Puma/Rey 2 where Puma wins by going full dark side with Vampiro would've been a cool angle.

Instead we have tweener Puma set up to fight heel Mundo in a match up we've already seen a bunch of times and Rey and Dominic feuding with Dario and Matanza. That mask match and main event were some 2000 WCW shit too. Worst show since UL2. Completely indefensible.

All of you thinking the show going off El Rey would fix things, well, okay here's what I'm allowed to tell people, if you listen to the podcast you've heard this all from us anyway.

El Rey has the rights because they license the show from MGM

They haven't greenlit season 4 yet and very well may wait until the last minute and there is no way at all 100% at this point that you will see tapings in 2017.  This is a money issue.  This is Univision wanting to spend less money.  If you want to blame anyone for this, blame Univision.  This isn't an issue of the show not making money.  It's doing fine financially.

There's a drop dead date that they have to or the rights revert to MGM and they can do what they want with it and right now they want to continue it.

You might not like where it'd go from there and it might not look the same show.  The guy responsible for all the vignettes looking awesome, Skip, works for El Rey and not LU.  The guy is a fucking genius and losing him would be a MAJOR blow to the quality of the show IMO. ( I mean you can cue the jokes for how shitty the show was last week but there's some really good shit coming up this season.)

Survival on the show might depend on how much MGM wants to be in the wrestling business, which right now is actually quite a bit.  They're even thinking of working with WOW to make it a thing again.

Gut feeling, and it's contrary to all the information that I do have, doesn't really think Season 4 happens but everything is pointing to it eventually happening somewhere right now, I'm just pessimistic when it comes to wrestling shows I like.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2017 at 9:19 AM, Tromatagon said:

All of this dumb shit was shot the weekend I didn't go to tapings because I had the flu

See the shit they pull when I'm not around?

The constant not going with Pentagon is fucking stupid - he is the most popular guy in the promotion.  You either strap a rocket to the guy like fucking Stone Cold or you just do a bunch of 50/50 shit, make him less over, and can't get season 4 greenlit.  It's still not greenlit, btw.

Like, anything is too little, too late at this point, because motherfucker should have gone over at UL2.  Guy broke his spine, got healed with mystical buttfuck dungeon powers, and then loses to go on to put over a group of girls that aren't even signed to the promotion and jumped to the WWE at the earliest opportunity (or are still trying) while the thing that finally beat Matanza was A FUCKING ROLLUP.

Fucking A. Hard to put in to text for me how frustrating it was to watch Pentagon become the most over guy on the show and not get the rocket strapped to his back. 

I can't imagine LU not being on El Rey.  The show is tailored-made for the overall vibe of the channel, and unless they find a similar channel to put it on anywhere else would look odd to me.  If it goes to MGM that's all well and good, but I'd be leery about how they produce it.  If it's only for one more season then MGM might as well look for something else like WOW.

I kind of want to see season 4 but if it's the last one then they need to go balls-out crazy and go out in a blaze of glory.  If they can't do that then maybe it's time to cut their losses with three seasons.

I'm not sure why Dr. Lucha thinks they'd bring Season 4 back while announcing it was the final season. There's no narrative reason to do it and there's no money reason to do it that way. If it's back for a Season 4, we probably go thru this same stretch of uncertainty again. If it's not, it's not.

• Like 1

and it's absolutely how it wouldn't work because even if El Rey said it was the last season, MGM would be able to still make the show on their own if they wanted.

I'm really sure the talent would love this uncertainty for FIVE FUCKING SEASONS though

Honestly... I just hope to god (Rey Jr.) that if the show comes to an end, we get a clean break. All the wrestlers are allowed to go their own way and do what they want. No hassles, no asterisks in the contracts nobody noticed when they signed, no bullshit. The boys have been patient enough & it'd be beyond evil to tie them up like that MTV lucha show for no reason if a show doesn't exist any more.

• Like 1

It figures the same week the Triplania incident happens is when they have a Sexy Star match.  I was tempted to change the channel but I have a soft spot for Joey Ryan.  But damn did it annoy me to see her on TV.