DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

I'm like 3 or 4 weeks behind (just saw the episode with PJ Black/Rey. I love the agent storyline!), but maybe it's to due with the fans recognizing AR Fox is better than Shane Strickland? I don't know. They also made Dante super sympathetic with the "left behind" part of the backstory video. 

Casey, why were people booing Killshot?

P.S. are you buds with the editors? Because you and your friend are like in half of the crowd reaction shots.

It's 90% about Dante Fox being great (in front of an audience who might have not all known what to expect from him), and about 10% that Dante not really doing all much heelish. I think it's probably intentionally vague about who we're supposed to cheer here - the fans wouldn't have seen the vignettes, but those aren't painting Fox as a bad guy either.

I'd say Fox has pretty clearly been booked like the heel. He started the feud with the old "fake hug/sneak attack" then distracted Killshot in his first round Cueto Cup match.

People are just cheering him because he's been tearing it up in the ring. It's a smaller scale version of the Pentagon reactions in S1.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:07 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I just remembered Fox/Killshot had that LMD match with the war gimmick.  That to me was the blowoff match and while I understand people forever not liking each other they should have moved on from each other.  If we're getting another "blowoff" match between them something even more insane than the previous one will need to happen.  But I agree that it doesn't make sense for the double turn.  Even though Fox distracted Killshot first it didn't do anything to stop the course it's heading down now.

That was Marty/Killshot.

Also Oyaji people were booing Killshot because Dante Fox fucking rules.  And I also do it to bother my friend Justin.

I'm in a lot of reaction shots because when they don't put me in them the show's ratings go down.  I've been keeping track.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

That was Marty/Killshot.

Aw, shit, you're right.  I could have sworn they had a blowoff match but I guess not.  Either way they'll still need to do something awesome to end this whenever they do.

So, that Mil/Crane match was a nice surprise. Mil in terminator mode against someone fighting for their life is a formula that always seems to work.

Also good to see them picking up that "wars to come" story. Segments like Catrina/Vasquez and Dario meets his new handler are what drive the company. More of that, and less of Rey using his kids for old school wrasslin heat please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So, that Mil/Crane match was a nice surprise. Mil in terminator mode against someone fighting for their life is a formula that always seems to work.

Also good to see them picking up that "wars to come" story. Segments like Catrina/Vasquez and Dario meets his new handler are what drive the company. More of that, and less of Rey using his kids for old school wrasslin heat please.

I love the backstage pieces too. Hell, I'd be down for a special episode of just those. 

Because it was a predictable cliche that felt out of place in LU. Like I can buy bringing your family to the Sportatorium where everything is presented as athletic competition on the up and up, and heel attacking them would violate the norms. The Temple is presented as a questionably-legal underground fight club where bystanders are constantly in danger. Not to mention Rey is supposed to be the wise old master who knows what everyone is capable of on this show. He won't let Dragon Azteca Jr mix it up with Matanza or slightly-unhinged Puma, but he's gonna let his wife and kid sit ringside with Worldwide Underground around?

It's certainly less sleazy to use Dominic now that he's 20 (unlike forcing him into that stupid angle with Eddie when he was 8), but the whole thing was obvious from the moment they showed him and made Rey look like an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, if you were not following my surprise on twitter it's true. TLN is actually 2 weeks head, they aired the semi-finals show & finals/Rey Jr. vs Mundo tonight. If you missed it, it will repeat tomorrow 3-6pm EST & again on Wednesday I think. Or they could air the rest of the season in tmrw's block for all I know, I have no idea at this point.

I'm sure it will leak online (not through me, I am not computer saavy) somehow & if TLN keeps staying ahead the season will be done in 2 weeks meaning the El Rey numbers will probably TANK since out of those 100,000 regular viewers you gotta figure it's the most hardcore of hardcore fans who will know how to download the shows online and have no need to wait.

14 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Because it was a predictable cliche that felt out of place in LU. Like I can buy bringing your family to the Sportatorium where everything is presented as athletic competition on the up and up, and heel attacking them would violate the norms. The Temple is presented as a questionably-legal underground fight club where bystanders are constantly in danger. Not to mention Rey is supposed to be the wise old master who knows what everyone is capable of on this show. He won't let Dragon Azteca Jr mix it up with Matanza or slightly-unhinged Puma, but he's gonna let his wife and kid sit ringside with Worldwide Underground around?

It's certainly less sleazy to use Dominic now that he's 20 (unlike forcing him into that stupid angle with Eddie when he was 8), but the whole thing was obvious from the moment they showed him and made Rey look like an idiot.

Dominic is trying to enter the business- or maybe now as a grown man he's expected to protect his sisters/mom from muggers and such, but not the WWU.

So next week is the start of Ultima Lucha 3 right? Or is it just the Cueto Cup finals and Rey/Mundo? Because no card has been announced right? Episode was fun though even with Mil getting punked out in the back again.

Ultima Lucha 3 is still weeks away. Cubsfan said there are 10 episodes left, 9 after tonight I guess. If Canada stays ahead with 3 episodes per week, we get Ultima Lucha at the end of August & I think you guys get it in October.

Tonight's show closing roster brawl was my favorite LU segment in history. Just amazing.

Cueto Cup is next week, but it's not the actual finale (though they've done a good job of building it up like one.)

32: Cueto Cup final + Mundo/Rey
33-36: build for Ultima Lucha 3 (and blowoff for stuff that doesn't make the UL cut)
37-40: Ultima Lucha 3 (September 27 to a two hour finale on October 18)
October 25: a great void in my life

Edited by thecubsfan
I can't type
  • Like 1

I was confused for a moment too, thinking I heard someone said next week was the start of Ultima Lucha and Mundo/Mysterio being the main event. Glad there is still a good amount of episodes left. Tonight's ending was great for sure.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, quackhell said:

Fun show with the great collision of angles in the ending brawl to lead to next week's big show.

Somebody please tell me the fan creepily stroking the Marty the Moth poster is a plant. If not...yeesh.

Comedian Steve Agee. 

• Like 1