DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

13 hours ago, quackhell said:

I like the idea of Sexy Star's plan being to hide amongst the band while the Worldwide Underground beat the shit out of her friend and hope an opportunity occurs that allows her to jump on Mundo and Black. 

A Unique Opportunity is to be expected at least once a week in the Temple.

In the original All Night Long, Mundo messed around with the band mid match.

She was counting on both those things to come around.

I know it's a coincidence that Dario Cueto and David Crockett have the same initials, but I sure did remember Crockett when last week's match was allll out of tiiiiime. This week better have the equivalent of Barry Windham lariating Cougar Jay out of his boots.

• Like 1

Great show last night! That is the episode I would show someone who has never seen Lucha Underground before. Exactly the reason I hope LU never goes away because that show was so different than anything else you'd see in wrestling these days.

• Like 3

Aerostar should not be able to do half the stuff he does, but damnit he does them and bless him for that.  I thought at first doing a street fight after Mundo/Mack would be overkill, but damn that was a wild match.  Puma doing his version of the Pettis Showtime kick was sudden so frickin' great.  I'm so glad this show's back on.

I love Dario Cueto.  He was so smug promising something that would revolutionize the business. Then he announces a single elimination tournament. Doesn't matter if it has been done a thousand times before. It's for his Cueto Cup and he couldn't have been prouder. 

• Like 2

Looking back at both episodes now, would Mundo vs. Mack have been better if it were held to one single show?

Could they have cut the injury angle, just had Dario come out mid-match and insist on Falls Count Anywhere for the remainder just for the sake of extra violence?

Injury angle was the real turning point in the match for me, though. And it wouldn't make sense to send it to overtime if the premise is the match goes until the end of TV time (though they stopped it with 5 minutes to go or whatever).

Yeah, there's no way Mack and Mundo needed 45 minutes to tell that story. Like the entire iron man was irrelevant. They even repeated the interference spots for god's sake. Sick finishing spot, though.

Mundo's backstage segment was tremendous. No time for pants!

Drago's heel turn felt a bit flat, but I like the reptiles trio team a lot better now. They needed another worker bad.

Mil/Puma is a combo that can't have a bad match. Mil also seems to get the absolute best hardcore match finishes. The brick to the head was a perfect simple but believable KO spot.

So we're now at MTV Real World providing 1 wrestling champ, and CBS' Big Brother now passing them with 2?

As for that brick, will we come to learn it had magic powers like Catrina's stone of doom?

On 6/10/2017 at 5:14 AM, Go2Sleep said:

Mundo's backstage segment was tremendous. No time for pants!

That cracked me up. The way he said it, I could almost hear Fandango saying it in a Fashion Files bit.

It's gonna be a great moment when Mundo finally gets what's coming to him.

I thought Cage was a goner tonight. Ending really surprised me.

Another very good epiode. Aero Star was on FYAH hitting some super creative stuff even with a couple noticeable edits to clean things up. Easily the funnest wrestler to watch. His head is always spinning with new ideas! Argenis vs Penta was also much better than I thought it'd be because Argenis actually fought back! Penta's offense is so killer and he's a god in that temple to those fans.

Johnny was training in pants! HE LIES!

• Like 2

Really looking forward to Cage as the ultimate destroyer in LU. The best part is they don't even have to worry about even booking, because when they want to reset his character, all they have to do is take the glove off. That was an unexpected but quality conclusion to Lorenzo Lamas' character arc.

Looking at the brackets, I can't wait for Dragon Azteca vs. Dante Fox. Crane/Killshot could be pretty good too.

The obvious final four of Pentagon/Cage/Mil/Puma would be pretty cool, but I wouldn't mind seeing a bracket buster.

• Like 1

Pentagon Dark was featured on the episode and won, 5/5

Killlshot vs Crane was really, really good live.  I don't remember a lot of the other stuff.  This shit was taped over a year ago at this point.  There's two things I know we will absolutely shit on on the podcast once they air, we're like itching to do it.

As cool as the death scene was, having your least interesting character kill one of the most interesting characters is a baffling decision.  Cage is on that Son of Havoc "his fans are annoying and he does nothing for me" list

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Pentagon Dark was featured on the episode and won, 5/5

Killlshot vs Crane was really, really good live.  I don't remember a lot of the other stuff.  This shit was taped over a year ago at this point.  There's two things I know we will absolutely shit on on the podcast once they air, we're like itching to do it.

As cool as the death scene was, having your least interesting character kill one of the most interesting characters is a baffling decision.  Cage is on that Son of Havoc "his fans are annoying and he does nothing for me" list

Spoiler

Check out his matches with Keith Lee in Beyond and the triple threat with Callihan and Lee from PWG this year. 

And just the other day I was saying in another thread that if you want to see Lorenzo Lamas as a villain, there's always LU.

Oops. 

Anyway, congrats to Texano for having a match I didn't feel the need to fast forward any part of. 

• Like 1