DVDVR Message Board

2017 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

Phantom Lord

Is there any kind of time limitation to the contracts guys signed?  I know they're for "seven seasons" (did I get the number of seasons right?) but there's no way they could lock these guys down indefinitely if there's, for example, a two or three year delay between seasons, right? 

The mystical item gimmicks have all fallen flat.  The Aztec Medallion angle didn't really deliver and it looks like the Iron Glove won't either.  Can we just get back to traditional championship belts and stuff?

This Marty angle with Mariposa and Santos and the angle with Sexy Star are getting kinda creepy.  It is bad enough that Sexy Star is on television more; I don't need for LU to start delving in storylines that are all kinds of WWE disturbing.

And the closing of the temple is bullshit.  Weeks of building Mundo vs. Mack and then here comes an extended hiatus and who knows who will get pushed after the break?

I thought the El Dragon Azteca Jr. / Matanza match was well paced but that's not the match the fans wanted to see.  You could tell who they wanted in the ring when Rey Rey came out and everyone went apeshit.

It's pretty easy to find out who gets pushed after the break if you really want to know.

The reason DAJ vs Matanza got that reaction is that they reshot the second half of the match after Matanza punched through a window, sliced his wrist, and the tapings ended with him being rushed to the hospital.  He ended up being fine, but most of the people in the audience for the reshoot remembered what happened the first time and weren't really "up" for it, and everyone knew Rey had to be involved for the finish because he came out for the first match.

Plus DAJ broke one of Pentagon's arms so fuck him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Is there any kind of time limitation to the contracts guys signed?  I know they're for "seven seasons" (did I get the number of seasons right?) but there's no way they could lock these guys down indefinitely if there's, for example, a two or three year delay between seasons, right? 

The original deals were said to be for seven seasons, with no time limit on how long they could be. That seems crazy, and no one's shared a contract publicly, but maybe it's a TV thing. I can't imagine it's legal to keep someone under a contract without giving them work for a long time, but the expense/effort of getting a lawyer to fight and burning your bridge with people makes fighting it the absolutely last option. (For both sides - nothing's going to convince wrestlers to stay with you than deals they can't get out of.)

Not everyone signed seven season deals. Puma/Ricochet signed a contract that was three seasons long and could be different in some other way we don't know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thecubsfan said:

The original deals were said to be for seven seasons, with no time limit on how long they could be. That seems crazy, and no one's shared a contract publicly, but maybe it's a TV thing. I can't imagine it's legal to keep someone under a contract without giving them work for a long time, but the expense/effort of getting a lawyer to fight and burning your bridge with people makes fighting it the absolutely last option. (For both sides - nothing's going to convince wrestlers to stay with you than deals they can't get out of.)

Not everyone signed seven season deals. Puma/Ricochet signed a contract that was three seasons long and could be different in some other way we don't know. 

Thanks for the reply!  It sounds like Lesnar's "six year non-compete."  It probably won't hold up in court but who wants to spend the money and time to find out?   

Plus, if they're planning on sticking around as a company, I don't think it's a good look to hold talented workers hostage. What top flight indie worker is going to want to get locked into one of those ridiculous contracts?

35 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Plus, if they're planning on sticking around as a company, I don't think it's a good look to hold talented workers hostage. What top flight indie worker is going to want to get locked into one of those ridiculous contracts?

Definitely. (Going at least 15 months between tapings hurts a lot with that too.)

There's also no real competitive benefit for LU to keep Ricochet from working WWE - WWE's going to be much bigger than LU with or without Ricochet. This should work itself out in time but putting a little pressure on LU to make it right can't hurt. 

At least to start, they're airing the same episodes they aired in the Thanksgiving marathon:

Next Week
“Top of the Ladder” – Season 1 Episode 7
“A Unique Opportunity” – Season 1 Episode 8

01/25
“Aztec Warfare” – Season 1 Episode 9
“Grave Consequences – Season 1 Episode 19

probably following (though they're going to have to do something when the two hour episodes come up)
“Trios Champions” – Season 1 Episode 24
“Fight to the Death” – Season 1 Episode 29
“All Night Long” – Season 1 Episode 32
“PenUltimaLucha” – Season 1 Episode 37
“Ultima Lucha Pt. 1” – Season 1 Episode 38
“Ultima Lucha Pt. 2” – Season 1 Episode 39
“A Much Darker Place” – Season 2 Episode 1
“Death Comes in Threes” – Season 2 Episode 7
“Life after Death” – Season 2 Episode 8
“Aztec Warefare 2” – Season 2 Episode 9
“Cage in a Cage” – Season 2 Episode 14
“No Mas” – Season 2 Episode 15
“The Contenders’ – Season 2 Episode 20
“Six to Survive” – Season 2 Episode 21
“Ultima Lucha Dos Pt. 1” – Season 2 Episode 24
“Ultima Lucha Dos Pt. 2” – Season 2 Episode 25
“Ultima Lucha Dos Pt. 3” – Season 2 Episode 26
“The Amulet” – Season 3 Episode 2

That'd take them early April, which doesn't appear to be Summer 2017.

So are these guys contractually barred from using their characters outside of LU? Killshot, Son of Havoc and Matanza were all on a local indy show this weekend but they went by their normal names. I would think their LU characters would be a bigger draw even if LU's ratings aren't killing it.