DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of NOVA - I just bought my ticket for Friday's show so if anyone is going and sees me, say Hi

And don't be creepy

I can't promise anything.

-- Seriously, I'm going to try to make this.

• Like 1

Cutie And The Beast is the best indy tag-team name since The Amazing Technicolor Dreamboats.

The particulars for the March 3rd MCW Mat Madness show.

Drolix of Black Wallstreet suffered a torn ACL which required surgery (I don't think this is a work), so there will be an 8 Man Single Elimination Tournament for his vacated title.

The event will also feature Lio Rush (ROH) vs. Brian Cage (Lucha Underground) and Bruiser / The Hellcats vs. The Winner's Circle w/ Andy Vineberg in a six man tag match with Amy Dumas as the special guest referee.

Rey Misterio Jr. will be the Meet & Greet guest of honor at the MCW Spring Fever 2017 event on April 22nd.

• Like 1

Saturdday 3 of us made the 2+ hour drive to Sandersville MS for a SWA show. Now SWA rarely brings in anyone known outside of the AL/MS/LA scene.but they always have fun shows and very loud crowds.

We got invited down to film/do commentary/do security. Still waiting on Bodyslam Media Productions to post their stuff. But I was also filming with my camera,but my cam has a shitty mic so you won't hear the commentary.

Anyways saw something I had never seen before. Second match of the show was rookie Aztec Warrior Alex Cruz vs long time vet Lukas Frost. Now each match,outside of the Sandersville Street Fight and the main event had 15 minute time limits. The Cruz vs Frost match went the full 15 minutes. Got a 5 more minutes chant started,most of the 350 people were chanting along. But they didn't get 5 more  minutes. Guessing maybe they will have a rematch at the next SWA show in May.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, J.T. said:

Cutie And The Beast is the best indy tag-team name since The Amazing Technicolor Dreamboats.

The particulars for the March 3rd MCW Mat Madness show.

Drolix of Black Wallstreet suffered a torn ACL which required surgery (I don't think this is a work), so there will be an 8 Man Single Elimination Tournament for his vacated title.

The event will also feature Lio Rush (ROH) vs. Brian Cage (Lucha Underground) and Bruiser / The Hellcats vs. The Winner's Circle w/ Andy Vineberg in a six man tag match with Amy Dumas as the special guest referee.

Rey Misterio Jr. will be the Meet & Greet guest of honor at the MCW Spring Fever 2017 event on April 22nd.

My friend said there's a rumor that they're going to have Mysterio face Lio Rush on 4/22.  If that is the case, then holy fucking fuck that will rule.  But Rush/Cage sounds like a wonderful David vs. Goliath match, that should be pretty fun.

• Like 3

First, I LOVE Cutie & the Beast. Super fun team, and two really awesome guys to boot. Total pros.

Second, this week's Worldwide is a blast. We beat our Battlecade attendance with this show, and it was so fun. Huge props to the Hardy Boyz for giving us this exposure.

• Like 4

How cool is it that places like CWF and MCW benefit like this due to the Hardys?  If you run a local promotion and book the Hardys you're going to have a good time.   Did they mention anything about the match airing on Impact?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

How cool is it that places like CWF and MCW benefit like this due to the Hardys?  If you run a local promotion and book the Hardys you're going to have a good time.   Did they mention anything about the match airing on Impact?

Yeah, Borash was there with a small crew filming it. Unlikely that our commentary is used, but it was confirmed that it will air on Impact.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, J.T. said:

I'm sad you've already forgotten about the Rock 'n Bowl Express.  They were just mentioned on this board a couple weeks ago.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Yeah, Borash was there with a small crew filming it. Unlikely that our commentary is used, but it was confirmed that it will air on Impact.

Yeah, that was the same for us.  I'm sure it will be aired in the style of their other videos so commentary wouldn't necessarily be needed on these.

And another cool thing from last week's Observer:

The Hardys’ appearance for MCW on the 1/28 show in Joppa, MD, drew the company’s record crowd of 1,400 fans, with another 100 turned away. That was more than Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels or Sting were able to draw

Damn, man, that's beyond crazy to think about.

• Like 3

St. Louis Indy Wrestling right now is weird.

St. Louis Anarky has been THE St. Louis indy for a while, and I caught there last show in November. Had a really good Triple Threat with Vega, Fitchett, and Jay. Jimmy Rave had a match and was good, Papa Hales was in attendance, an all around good time.

Basically, Anarky closed because a guy with lot's of money was signing most of the talent to do a "once every 2 week" show at a Ballroom in downtown St. Louis, redebuting everyone with new gimmicks, and basically playing up the rivalry with the Kansas City company that said guy ALSO owns, trying to get a TV deal. It was kinda fascinating to watch the setup for, and I checked out their first show, and... hmm.

It wasn't bad. I mean, it wasn't mid 2000's RoH or anything, but it's been pretty fun. But it just feels very very indy to me, no matter how much money gets thrown at it (And it's a LOT of money. Both KC and STL have there own giant entrance ramps with full on entrance videos, there are multiple cars parked around ringside with "Fight STL" painted on in a cool design, the ballroom they are renting out aint cheap.) They've been uploading the shows to youtube and.... hmmm. 

Anyway, here's the link were they are uploading shows  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzJXWTxb_l55zDLrmszgMg/videos

If you want a reason to watch, Sugar Dunkerton signed on and is named "Cocoa Rumble" there, and that's pretty great.

Just now, odessasteps said:

All i know about it is that scott bowden is connected somehow and tweetsabout it. On paper, the kc vs stl thing seems intriguing from afar.

I'm mixed on this, because as a St. Louisan, I've always honestly thought the rivalry is more with Chicago then anything. The KC/STL thing feels really overplayed over how big it is. Keep in mind, even when the Rams were here, the Cardinals/Royals and Rams/Chiefs rivalries were never really either of the teams "big ones".

I will say, I think the best match either promotion has had so far was the main event from the first Fight STL show, which was a 6 man tag between some of the "top guys" of each company. STL had the "Blood Brothers" (Davey Vega and Matt Fitchett) teaming with Maverick (I have no clue who this guy is, but he seems very talented but raw) against the Royal Blood (Two Twin Brothers from KC, who are small, but very talented) and Dak Draper (another dude I don't know much about, but he's got some charisma and doesn't seem like a bad worker).

There are some guys there worth keeping an eye on, for certain. STL with Vega, Fitchett, Jay, Sugar, Maverick (Someone tell me who this guy is please?), and Wellston. On the KC side, Royal Blood, Draper, and Ken Dharma have became fun watches. Just a lot of guys who I'm not sure if they are any good working overly gimmicky gimmicks around them. 

That said, the Buddy System stuff has cracked me up.

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I hope Rippa is wearing one of his Bayley shirts.

Wearing my Liger NXT shirt

And I promised a mini-DVDVR reunion and it is happening. Me, Marcel and Schneider are in attendance