DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

12 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

That Chip Day/Trevor Lee match is well worth watching. It had some of the current big match tropes but I thought it all worked and made sense.

I would be very happy to never see that "two guys stand in the middle of the ring, politely taking turns throwing strikes at each other" spot again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

in 2013 Viscera was wanting 2000

CHris masters wanted 750 plus trans in 2013

Matt Hardy was asking 1000 plus trans plus a meal at the nearest Popeye's Chicken

They usually start out charging a lot, and then as they lose the novelty the price gradually comes down.

What's that old adage "no one really retires in wrestling, they just out price themselves"? 4 grand from a promoter every so often can pay for one's of MMA training camps preparing for a Bellator debut, Just sayin'.

On 4/27/2017 at 2:50 PM, hammerva said:

Wasn't Ryback something like $3000 for an indie appearance?   If it is close to that then I can Swagger doing the same thing.  While I bet he likes to still wrestle he doesn't LIKE to wrestle in the same way guys like Cody Rhodes 

Ryback had a lot more presence on TV than Swagger in the last 3-4 years.

Swagger was in a midcard tag team, had one program with Rusev, and then got relegated to Main Event.

Basically patriotism and ankle locks spots are things that lots of indy wrestlers can replicate, replicating Ryback is trickier - or at least involves a very large account with 'Scott' at the gym.

Former fed guys can and will ask for the moon if you let them; it's money-mark promoters that let them get away with it. I run a smaller town with a small budget in a smallish arena and while I used to bring "name" talent in when I started promoting in 2011, I stopped back in 2015 because I just wasn't getting anything back on the investment. I recently saw some Impact guys that never make it off the Xplosion tapings make big-money demands (not in the thousands, but still: these guys expecting more than $100 a night because they're on a show almost nobody in Canada watches is fucking bullshit), and when other promoters balked they immediately offered to slash their PO demands.

In reality, many of these guys do NOT want to wrestle a lot anymore--the travel is often one of the main reasons they ask for their WWE release--but it's often the only thing they know how to do to feed their families. Guys like Gangrel are very reasonable, especially when you can work with local promoters to string together several dates or are guaranteeing them a booking every month, while some guys are difficult because...hey, you want them to come to you, right?

Just saw on Maryland Championship Wrestling's Twitter that Jack Swagger will on their June 9th show. Jeff Cobb will be there too, idk if they are wrestling each other but they should be.

A motivated Swagger against Cobb would quite easily get me to go.  I will go anyway because Cobb will be there, but that matchup would be the proverbial cherry on top.

And while they only announced two matches so far, one of them has Steve Anthony vs. Bestia 666.  Seems like a random addition to the show, but I'm cool with it.

10 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I'm not sure "motivated Jack Swagger" is an actual thing that exists.

I've seen it. It was 10 or 11 years ago at an OVW house show, but I've seen it.

Fairly certain he was doing his best to impress not just the trainers and bookers, but also his lady friend that picked up his ring jacket after the match.

Speaking of Swagger - he is also facing Michael Elgin in AAW at the end of the month

And they do poke fun at the whole "Artist Formerly Known As" thing

Swagger/Cobb and Swagger/Elgin are two hoss battles that sound awesome. And what is up with Elgin's eyes? I had a friend that got ice kicked into his eye playing soccer when we were kids and it made it look like that, he wore a contact after that to even them out. 

I guess Swagger is getting bookings, so somebody's paying that fee.

Heard that Ryan Drago/Simon Gotch is asking $1,500.  Lol.  I like the guys' work, but Ryan Drago definitely wasn't getting $1,500 to work FIP before signing with the WWE.  And Gotch's name value as an ex-WWE guy seems like it would be minimal to nonexistent.  More power to him if he can get booked at that price, but it seems like bringing in a Ryback, Swagger, or Christian at $3 or $4 k a date would be a better return on your investment.  I can see Swagger and Ryback selling a few more tickets or DVDs for a promoter.  Not sure anyone is going to buy a show for Gotch.

Gotch should be asking for 300-400, tops. Gangrel charges 600-1000 but will cut deals if he works multiple dates in a row. I use him as an example because to this day he is still crazy-over and despite being almost 50 he goes out there and busts his ass in the ring, keeping pace (and even outpacing) guys half his age. Gotch did very little in the WWE but a promoter can slap "former WWE star" on the poster and maybe bump up attendance a little...