DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That's what he alluded to on Sunday's B&V&C show. 

The MLW show was on in the background at a friend's place last night. From what I could tell, Riddle and Lawlor was a little janky but pretty good. The rest of the show was mostly more regional indie guys and wasn't so hot (The giant 500 lbs guy was awesome though!) but yeah, that main event was a lot of fun. I've been a Darby fan since I started watching evolve regularly and he's really starting to put it together and become a complete wrestler. I hope the rumours of him signing with NXT come to fruition so he can get paid. 

If anything, go back and re-watch the main event simply for the sick armbreaker spot Strickland hit on Darby...

MLW really has a PROGRESS feel to it.

The venue reminds me of those ballrooms PROGRESS holds event at, the pacing, in ring work, the build around local guys mostly and of course, Jimmy Havoc.

Someone tweeted they should make Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc a regular tag team and they responded "Only in MLW..." :o

That would be fantastic if it provides a series of tag matches or a feud between Riddle and Cobb vs. Darby and Jimmy.

Strickland seems to be the top guy they're going for though. He's been heavily featured. I don't mind. He looked very good in that tag match.

Saw him at the Pancakes and Piledriver event against Ricochet during WM weekend, wasn't impressed. Here however he looked great. I also need to watch the first MLW event from this year as he also fought Ricochet. Hopefully that match is better than that previous one I saw.

Strickland has the talent and athleticism to be great but he's still figuring out how to effectively put it all together. He has some good matches but when he's off, it's awful. That match in PWG against Dezmomd Xavier was one of the worst of the year that I've seen at least. He's better when there's a story built into the match for him, like his two big garbage matches in Lucha Underground (against Marty and then Fox). So, I think he'll do okay here because they're playing a long game with him in MLW with a lot of story going into the matches. 

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I've been a Darby fan since I started watching evolve regularly and he's really starting to put it together and become a complete wrestler. I hope the rumours of him signing with NXT come to fruition so he can get paid. 

I've admittedly not seen much of him, but I'm really intrigued. A lot of the most recent indie boom is built on a kind of irony, where many of the most successful gimmicks are winking at us to a degree. For lack of a better way of putting it, I believe he is how he appears to be and who he says he is, which is a nice counterpoint. 

Great line from Dave in the Update today:

Teddy Hart is out of jail and he will be facing Joey Ryan for Battleground Championship Wrestling tonight in Feasterville, PA at The Sportsplex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's Stokely Hathaway.  And as much I loved Julius I enjoy Stokely a ton more.

Julius' run in ROH with Ki and the Havana Pitbulls is the stuff of legends. I loved that era of ROH so got damn much. Can't wait to revisit some of it next year when they get their streaming service shit together.

Stokely is fine and improving, but to me comes off as a guy playing a character. Smokes is just fucking crazy and believable.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Julius' run in ROH with Ki and the Havana Pitbulls is the stuff of legends. I loved that era of ROH so got damn much. Can't wait to revisit some of it next year when they get their streaming service shit together.

Stokely is fine and improving, but to me comes off as a guy playing a character. Smokes is just fucking crazy and believable.

Smokes isn't really playing a character, that's him with the volume turned up. He is awesome.

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised there's watchable tape of this, which is great, as I'm not sure I saw more that like 30% if what was happening live. It was a very fun time, though, and any match where a bodyslam gets a semi-meaningful two count in 2017 is pretty good in my book.

• Thanks 1

Love Chuck Taylor ... he was a clue on this crossword game app I have, something like, "Alias of wrestler Chuck Taylor".  And I didn't want to use one of my coins for a clue, so I Facebook IMd him for help.  He didn't have any idea, but he was highly amused that it was NEVANS.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:47 AM, maciej said:

Pleasantly surprised there's watchable tape of this, which is great, as I'm not sure I saw more that like 30% if what was happening live. It was a very fun time, though, and any match where a bodyslam gets a semi-meaningful two count in 2017 is pretty good in my book.

I'm not particularly fond of ZSJ, but this looks like something straight out of a small Japanese sleazy promotion where we'd only get to watch about 30 seconds of it on an episode of Occupation of the Indys.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:33 PM, nate said:

I liked Julius Smokes, precisely for the amount of fear I imagined I would have if I happened to bump into him in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 3am.

I bumped into Julius Smokes and Homicide at a gas station in Philly prior to Death Before Dishonor IV. Smokes was filling up one of those red gas cans. I assumed it was going to be used during the ROH/CZW Cage of Death, but it wasn't. Smokes flashed me a real sinister smile that could have suggested he was going to set somebody's property ablaze.

• Haha 1

MLW taking advantage they have 3 former UFC fighters and a legit Olympic wrestler... I like.

Seth didn’t look too hot at the last show and is the least experienced out of the four guys, but Riddle and Lawlor did and Cobb is great, so they should be able to make this good.

Hey, WWN is going to start WWN Club!

• $9.99 a month for the entire catalog - ok, I mean, that's as much as the Network and more than NJPW World, but I could see where it fits into the budget of those who don't care about WWE or NJPW. So I guess this is good.
  • First month is free - well that's pretty cool.
  • 50% off live iPPVs or $7.50 for the live and on demand option - Umm...wait, what?
  • iPPVs are added to the $9.99 catalog after 2 months - hmm, why not sooner?
  • Surprise perks - uh, what kind of surprise...?

I read the news for this going from mildly interested to "I'll pass" pretty quickly.

It's a two week delay from what I've seen reported, which is still less than ideal, but much better than two months.

I get that as an indie outfit they're trying to figure out how to split the difference between the iPPV money and the Network/NJPW World type streaming, so that makes the whole package more palatable to me (curious about the points/rewards system for tickets/merch/etc though). But when you look at it as compared to Progress or something, it is definitely a bit of a let down.

The thing that really baffles me when Wrestlemania Weekend comes around.  Let's assume that there will be 6 WWN shows that weekend.  Unless you want to wait 2 weeks,  you have to pay about $40 to see these shows PLUS pay the $10 a month.   While that is definitely better than the stupid $90 that you would have had to pay under the old system, it looks weak compared to every other streaming service.