DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

58 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Given the other names on the list, I'd have to say, "No, he couldn't be talking about Evangelista."

Yeah, was being sarcastic...

Wasn't there talk about Cyborg vs. Lynch before the MYC and Ronda pretty much being a lock for WWE?

I remember there was footage of Cyborg training with some indy wrestler from California on her IG some months ago.

I don't think the match against Ellsworth is possible as he's gone from WWE and I don't see her working for anyone that's not WWE.

Smash was going to run Mike Bailey vs Michael Elgin but then they replaced Elgin with Matt Riddle. 

Thank you Smash for the upgrade and thank you Michael Elgin for being a pig faced smelly fat head.

• Haha 2

AAW replaced him in the main event of arguably their biggest show of the year with Jeff Cobb. Hilarious. It works for storyline reasons too, which is nice. I still say they should have gone with my idea of having Fenix squash him in 30 seconds, then stiff Mike on his fee and never book his bitch ass again, but I understand and support this decision. 

1 minute ago, bucky said:

AAW replaced him in the main event of arguably their biggest show of the year with Jeff Cobb. Hilarious. It works for storyline reasons too, which is nice. I still say they should have gone with my idea of having Fenix squash him in 30 seconds, then stiff Mike on his fee and never book his bitch ass again, but I understand and support this decision. 

It looks like Seinfeld is in love with your idea as well which makes this 1000% better.

Oh, and fuck Michael Elgin.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Smash was going to run Mike Bailey vs Michael Elgin but then they replaced Elgin with Matt Riddle. 

Thank you Smash for the upgrade and thank you Michael Elgin for being a pig faced smelly fat head.

Suddenly feeling like a genius for holding off on buying Alpha-1 tickets.

23 hours ago, Edwin said:

Wasn't there talk about Cyborg vs. Lynch before the MYC and Ronda pretty much being a lock for WWE?

Rhonda has been training including time at the PC

She has put up some footage - on her instagram??? - of it

The general belief is that Mania will be the NXT 4 Horsewomen vs. the MMA 4 Horsewomen

Just now, RIPPA said:

Rhonda has been training including time at the PC

She has put up some footage - on her instagram??? - of it

The general belief is that Mania will be the NXT 4 Horsewomen vs. the MMA 4 Horsewomen

I'm talking about Cyborg vs. Lynch being talked about months before the Mae Young Classic and Ronda being a lock for WWE...

Before the MYC, Cyborg uploaded this to her Instagram:

There was also an exchange of tweets between Cyborg and Becky teasing the possible match, plus Cyborg uploaded some footage of her training with some indy pro-wrestler to Instagram or YouTube or whatever which I can't find.

Listened to Meltzer's Raw Recap, and he went into a tangent about Elgin that was... um.... odd.  Basically, he quasi-dismissed the text message uproar by saying Elgin wasn't very good at knowing who to trust, because he was confiding in this woman and she put all this stuff out there because she was claiming - claiming!  Meltzer used that word a couple times - one of Elgin's students had assaulted her and now she was mad at Elgin  Dave made the whole thing sound like they had a spat and the woman decided to get back at him.  

Yes, Big Mike's problem is that he's a big dumb lug who is too trusting.  Well, that and the fact that he was trying to talk the woman into giving him oral sex and then pretended to support her with the rape allegation while publicly undercutting her and implying she was a ring rat, and is a dullard who thinks he's too good to work with Cobb=, and on and on and on...  Dave finished this weird little tangent by shrugging and saying "Well, no one has a problem working with him (Elgin) ...."

Gah.  You need to loosen your wrestling bubble.  Not enough of the real world is leaking in. 

There is some good news.  Meltzer did mention that the text messages slagging Cobb have gotten Elgin lots of heat with New Japan's management and the guys in the locker room.  

Jesus. Sometimes Dave does or says shit that is puzzling and frustrating and I can just dismiss it by thinking "that's Dave being Dave."

Other times he does shit like this and he's so obtuse and so far in the wrestling bubble that it's fucking aggravating and I want someone to smarten him up somehow.

Like, how the fuck are you going to take that stance when we know everything we now know? Was Dave also the person talking about how this was an attempted "sting" by Elgin that wound up being misunderstood?

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Like, how the fuck are you going to take that stance when we know everything we now know? Was Dave also the person talking about how this was an attempted "sting" by Elgin that wound up being misunderstood?

If he was, it was a different segment and I didn't hear it.  It wouldn't be too surprising, though.  If you don't know anything about the story, your takeaway from Dave would probably be that some woman turned on Elgin and was trying to make him look bad because.... women are like that or something.   Has Dave not heard the stories about Elgin before this?  I was already under the impression that Elgin was kinda skeezy.

I'm listening to it now. Yeah, this doesn't sound great. I'm so confused too because it wasn't that long ago that Dave had a pretty good grasp on the whole Mauro/JBL stuff and rightly covered that story really well.

In this case though, his handling of it is very different. I'm not sure if it's just because it's an indy thing or a female thing, but it's just bizarre.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm listening to it now. Yeah, this doesn't sound great. I'm so confused too because it wasn't that long ago that Dave had a pretty good grasp on the whole Mauro/JBL stuff and rightly covered that story really well.

In this case though, his handling of it is very different. I'm not sure if it's just because it's an indy thing or a female thing, but it's just bizarre.

I assume that was because he was talking to Mauro directly. I'd presume Dave is not talking to Elgin or anyone involved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Suddenly feeling like a genius for holding off on buying Alpha-1 tickets.

I was feeling stupid pre-buying since Alpha-1 and Greektown Wrestling are both running that day with great looking cards but Riddle vs Bailey tops everything.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Elgin is tight with Alvarez and Dave and is one of their NJPW sources. Dave hasn't looked good at this but he's been very defensive about it on the F4W board. He said more or less that there's more to the text messages, with the implication being that some of the conversation was removed.

It doesn't matter one bit if part of the conversation was removed. The conversation that is there is shitty and disgusting. Unless the part that was cut is, "Watch me make some ludicrous comments to rile up all the marks out there and you play your role as the offended accuser" then Dave has nothing to go off of and looks really bad as a result.

Agreed. And there's already footage of Elgin boasting about sexually assaulting a woman out there. I love me some Meltz but he hasn't handled this well. I hope New Japan parts ways with him. He's not irreplaceable and Cobb can doing anything he does but better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I was feeling stupid pre-buying since Alpha-1 and Greektown Wrestling are both running that day with great looking cards but Riddle vs Bailey tops everything.

Was at Greektown at the start of October and was pleasantly surprised.  They've got a good little setup going there.

MLW uploaded their most recent show for free on YouTube:

If anything just skip to the main event -- Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc vs. Shane Strickland and John Hennigan in a hardcore match.

Also Matt Riddle vs. Tom Lawlor was the opening match, but I got their late and missed it, so I'm not sure how good it is, but it is intriguing on paper.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed. And there's already footage of Elgin boasting about sexually assaulting a woman out there. I love me some Meltz but he hasn't handled this well. I hope New Japan parts ways with him. He's not irreplaceable and Cobb can doing anything he does but better.

I think that last part is why he went to bury Cobb: he was threatened that Cobb would take his spot, and ironically that's exactly what seems to be happening and it's because of his comments.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

It doesn't matter one bit if part of the conversation was removed. The conversation that is there is shitty and disgusting. Unless the part that was cut is, "Watch me make some ludicrous comments to rile up all the marks out there and you play your role as the offended accuser" then Dave has nothing to go off of and looks really bad as a result.

This.  The idea that there's a missing part of the conversation that shifts the "blame" to the other party and leaves Elgin looking like a saint is dumb and plays into the trope that the victim needs to be lily white and spotless before they can accuse someone of something, and having a past somehow absolves the abuser.  I've never subscribed to that.  

Yeah, Dave's take on this is just bad, particularly since the episode seems to be just confirming some of the other stuff out there about Elgin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Edwin said:

MLW uploaded their most recent show for free on YouTube:

If anything just skip to the main event -- Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc vs. Shane Strickland and John Hennigan in a hardcore match.

Also Matt Riddle vs. Tom Lawlor was the opening match, but I got their late and missed it, so I'm not sure how good it is, but it is intriguing on paper.

Fuck, Riddle vs Lawlor was one of the matches I was looking forward to the most. I'd be bummed if I missed that. Sucks it went on first. It's also cool the whole even was uploaded. I'll have to watch this later.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck, Riddle vs Lawlor was one of the matches I was looking forward to the most. I'd be bummed if I missed that. Sucks it went on first. It's also cool the whole even was uploaded. I'll have to watch this later.

I'm cool with it because they announced Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb vs. Tom Lawlor and a mystery partner as next months main event.

That's what he alluded to on Sunday's B&V&C show. 

The MLW show was on in the background at a friend's place last night. From what I could tell, Riddle and Lawlor was a little janky but pretty good. The rest of the show was mostly more regional indie guys and wasn't so hot (The giant 500 lbs guy was awesome though!) but yeah, that main event was a lot of fun. I've been a Darby fan since I started watching evolve regularly and he's really starting to put it together and become a complete wrestler. I hope the rumours of him signing with NXT come to fruition so he can get paid.