DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

On 11/25/2017 at 2:23 AM, Casey said:

If anyone cares...it looks like Emma got her first independent booking - AIW in February 2018.

I'm wondering who she's going to work. My guess would be Candice LeRae. 

They're also bringing in Sid on December 29. And running Smothers vs. Kikutaro on December 15. 

MLW is holding another event next Thursday at the GILT Nightclub in Orlando.

The card looks good on paper:

Shane Strickland and John Hennigan vs. Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc
Matt Riddle vs. Tom Lawlor
Joey Ryan vs. MJF
Brody King vs. MVP
Santana Garrett vs. Laurel van Ness
Sammy Guevara vs. Jason Cade
Jimmy Yuta vs. Vandal Ortagun
Mike Parrow vs. Saieve Al Sabah
Seth Petruzelli and Rhett Giddins vs. Dirty Blondes

I missed the last show, but I'm getting tickets this weekend for this as it's the day after I'm done with this semester and I should be able to head out from work in time to make it.

I'm stunned that you were able to find one tweet that summed things up that neatly.  Like, I would have posted about it, but I didn't feel like taking the effort to write out the whole story.

Elgin also deleted his Twitter just a short while ago.

Picking up a little traction on Reddit, and as to be expected with lesser platforms of discussion on the web - cries of "WAIT AND SEE" and general comments about "ringrats" being sluts and not worthy of even giving their accusations a thought or credibility.

You don't even mention the best part about Elgin - he was defending the accuser on his Twitter timeline and trying to be a good guy, and in private (through DMs) was slut shaming and calling her a whore to a noted troll account who possibly just likes to stir shit up.

This isn't exactly surprising. He boasted about urinating on a woman among other things on the Kevin Steen Show and the way he talked about women he considered "ring rats" was telling. And from what I've heard, this couldn't be happening to a nicer fellow. O_O

Jeff Cobb to usurp his role as hossy gaikokujin please.

24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This isn't exactly surprising. He boasted about urinating on a woman among other things on the Kevin Steen Show and the way he talked about women he considered "ring rats" was telling. And from what I've heard, this couldn't be happening to a nicer fellow. O_O

Jeff Cobb to usurp his role as hossy gaikokujin please.

But will NJPW even give a shit about this? In the US and Canada he's in deep shit but I don't think this is as serious in Japanese culture. He's lucky he has his gig there because WWE will probably never be an option after this.

I don't think they care but I wasn't saying they would. Elgin's been depushed pretty steadily over the past 10 months or so (since his Naito title challenge in February). I like Elgin in New Japan but Cobb is a significant upgrade on him, doesn't have baggage and from all accounts is a nice dude.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

But will NJPW even give a shit about this? In the US and Canada he's in deep shit but I don't think this is as serious in Japanese culture. He's lucky he has his gig there because WWE will probably never be an option after this.

NJPW played "Wait and See" with Honma, they didn't book him for one tour right after his charges popped up, then brought him back when things dropped.  

But, NJPW's booking Callihan, so that they'll drop Elgin for this and not that he's pretty much become "whatever" over the past year isn't likely.

7 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

NJPW played "Wait and See" with Honma, they didn't book him for one tour right after his charges popped up, then brought him back when things dropped.  

But, NJPW's booking Callihan, so that they'll drop Elgin for this and not that he's pretty much become "whatever" over the past year isn't likely.

I'm not totally familiar with the Honma thing but isn't the difference that he was charged with an actual crime wheras Elgin is merely guilty of being a horrible person? As a wrestler I'd be sad to see him go as I think he's great (The match he had against Okada in the G1 was one of my favorites of this year) but if this helps lead to that he only has himself to blame.

3 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Can someone give me a thumbnail of exactly what happened. It is confusing as shit to try to read this via wrestling twitter

Big Mike's student was accused of sexual assault.

Someone talked shit about the accuser and Mike defended the accuser on Twitter and said the nice things you should say in this situation.

Then that same person talking shit put out screenshots of a DM conversation they had with Mike where Mike is calling the accuser a whore, how she had it coming or that no one was surprised (something along these lines), and says no one believes the accuser.

Mike then announced Glory Pro was being sold, said he was deleting his Twitter, proceeded to say some more shit on Twitter, and then finally deleted his account or deactivated it or whatever.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:39 AM, RIPPA said:

God Harlem Heat's music was fucking awesome

Kraftwerk says thank you. :P

(I know, I know, on the "wrestle theme cribbing from other music" list, taking the "yes... no..." part is pretty far below DDP's "Self High Teen Spirit.")

• Like 1

I was always partial to Kronik's theme, which was blatantly cribbed from Static-X's "Love Dump".

Back on topic, slightly: Hurricane Helms and Mighty Molly (!) are going to be doing a show in my two horse town in February with a meet and greet.  For $20, I may need to go to this.