DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

For those of you in the central Florida area... MLW is running a show on Thursday named One-Shot.

The card looks pretty good:

Ricochet vs. Shane Strickland

MVP vs. Sami Callihan

Jeff Cobb vs. Tom Lawler

Santana Garrett vs Mia Yim

MJF vs. Jimmy Yuta

Darby Allin vs. Jason Cade

I'm thinking of going if I can get out of work at 4:00 PM or before as the show kicks off at 6:00 PM.

I do feel bad for all the wrestlers on Twitter right now finding out and basically going "Well - I guess I have an opening now"

Some clearly will get a legit booking but some might not

This type of lunacy was the bane of the UK scene when I first came over here in the early 00's.  The genuine promoters seemed to have railroaded the fraudsters out for the most part, Particularly over the last few years, which has helped the rep of British Wrestling. (5 star wrestling mega tournament aside)

I feel bad for guys like Marty who obviously do a ton of good for the Canadian indie scene only for d-bags like these to do stuff like this. It hurts everyone, the boys, the fans, other promoters. 

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I got suckered out of $27 because I was too eager to see the feline luchadores. God damn it. 

People on Twitter are filing PayPal disputes to try and get their money back, so you could give that a shot.  (assuming you paid by PayPal... I think that was the only way to do it)

• Like 1

Something that might've gotten lost on Twitter but anyone in Vancouver that bought tickets to Canuck Pro's West Langley Hall bullshit can bring their proof of purchase to the ECCW show on December 9 in Kitsalano at the RCC. Nice to see they made it right in an attempt to erase the stench these losers created. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling is celebrating its first Anniversary this Saturday in Parma, OH at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1900 Carlton Road).

In addition to Joey Ryan vs. Billy Gunn, we have The Rock & Roll Express in a USA vs. Canada vs. Puerto Rico three-way tag team flag match.

Taya, DJZ and Robbie E will be there as well.

I watch CWF every week nowadays and probably watch it more than any other promotion (Sorry Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, you brought in Alberto Del Rio).  This was a good week of television.

-Mace Li vs. Snooty Foxx

Snooty is a very popular and very raw in terms of mechanics.  This match actually worked to his strengths as they didn't try to go back-and-forth too much.  Li is okay as the third stooge wheel of the All Stars (he was better in the tag match from last week).  I liked the story telling here where Li worked Fox's knee but Snooty rallied and worked through the pain to the finish.  He was effective  in that he wasn't no selling but gritting through the  limb work.  Snooty isn't good per say, but this is a good performance for him.

-Nick Richards vs. Michael McAllister

Richards is like the Tommy Dreamer hard working job to big stars guy.  McAllister is a journeyman who looks like he fills your perscriptions at CVS.  The great part of this match is that they make that part of the story as both guys give it their all to stay relevant.  I found this to be very effective story which was helped tremendously through the commentary.  Considering what I would term their physical limitations,  I don't think you could have gotten more out of their time.

Cain Justice pops up afterward with a great reveal and will be super great in 5 years when he fills out.

-Arik Royal vs. Chet Sterling

Arik Royal is a great big Arn Anderson who can work anywhere on your card.  He's great at heeling it up and stooging and then turning the corner and working a far more serious style.  Chet's white meat babyface and is coming in with a neck injury.  I think they had a good story going with the neck but they lost the plot as the match progressed.  They missed a golden opportunity on a botched triangle dive to the outside to ratchet up the peril and instead pushed right back into a back-and-forth segment.  The match would have been better going to the slow toture grind instead of moving in this direction.  If Arik has a mechanical flaw, it is that when he's going to miss a move, Royal pulls up too much to the point where if the opponent hadn't of moved, he still wouldn't be able to land the blow.

-Plus we hear Ethan Alexander Sharpe’s post-Rumble comments and from former Television Champion Aric Andrews

EAP's story arc is certainly long-term but I don't know if its particularly interesting.  Aric brought out a character change reminiscent of Drew Gulak but he's really good at it.  He's got a good sense of humor in a dick head kind of way and his incencerity is a tremendous spin on the character.  You'd have to have some CWF history to really 'get it' but its totally worth it.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

I was wondering why a bunch of folks were suddenly tweeting that they had an opening this weekend and were looking for bookings.

Turns out - Wrestle Circus cancelled their show

So I will be marking that on my calendar

Also - the plan for me right now is to make it to next week's show so if you are around say Hi

(This all depends on me having actual money next week. Stupid holidays)

I never knew Andy Dalton moonlighted as a pro wrestler. Would've thought that giant contract the Bengals gave him would make him set for life. Maybe he's just doing it as a hobby, or is planning for when he gets dumped out of the NFL in the not too distant future.