DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

On 7/18/2017 at 9:55 PM, maciej said:

This ended up being super, super fun (if you're into mat stuff) with quite a few really entertaining matches, the best of which not necessarily being the ones you might expect. Rory Gulak and Travis Huckabee rolling around the mat in the first round might have brought me more joy than any of those name guys, actually.

It really was a good show. The Tempura Boys were a lot of fun to watch, and Rory beasting on dudes was a treat. I'm looking forward to the Rory/JFDC match at C-Rex for the strap.

So yeah, I'm kinda thrilled about this.

***BREAKING NEWS***

Please share!

For those that have asked why the ESPN logo was seen on the poster for "No Excuses" this Saturday in Gibsonville, NC at the Mid-Atlantic Sportatorium; we can now officially announce that CWF Mid-Atlantic will be taping a special segment for ESPN and their college football preview coverage to air this August!

ESPN in conjunction with CWF Mid-Atlantic will be holding a special SEC battle royal with every SEC school represented by a different CWF Mid-Atlantic wrestler!

• Like 1

Americanrana was a total blast. I convinced my son to get up to the apron for the second half of the show and the first match post-intermission was Penta/Fenix vs EYFBO, and his smile was something I'll never forget. 

Got to talk to a few dudes after. Swoggle was super cool, and seemed very happy to see some kids there and not just adults. My son made fun of me to Brian Cage for not yet finishing Lucha Underground season one. Actually may have been his favorite part of the night.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 7:45 AM, RandomAct said:

Who all is coming to the Scenic City Invitational this weekend? I'll be calling the event along with Stuttsy and Dan Wilson. It's going to be a happening!

Me... as you know.

Night 2 is just over an hour away, should be a great time!

Sci was great. Especially Riddle/Miller and janela/Darby. The finals were insane and hopefully a lot of local guys get looks from the bigger promotions after this. I would be stunned if Gunner Miller is not in NXT in a year. He's got the HHH/roode look down good.

• Like 2

Thought that Riddle/Tank delivered in a way that no one expected. Great, emotional match. Janela/Darby was my match of the weekend, followed closely by Gunner/Riddle. Finals were great until that insipid german suplex spot(which turned out to not even be the dumbest spot in wrestling last night).

CZW is usually so far from what I want in wrestling but I was going to have a speculative look at this PPV, just to see where they're at in the post-Busick/Gulak world. That said I remember one of the worst matches I ever saw was in NOAH a couple of years ago when Onita brought the same two goons (Hosaka & Yaguchi) to fight in a deathmatch with Sugiura and Takayama (though that was terrible because those two are not deathmatch guys). Anyway, how did the rest of it hold up?

7 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

CZW is usually so far from what I want in wrestling but I was going to have a speculative look at this PPV, just to see where they're at in the post-Busick/Gulak world. That said I remember one of the worst matches I ever saw was in NOAH a couple of years ago when Onita brought the same two goons (Hosaka & Yaguchi) to fight in a deathmatch with Sugiura and Takayama (though that was terrible because those two are not deathmatch guys). Anyway, how did the rest of it hold up?

A GIF speaks a thousand words.

• Haha 1

People were racing to tag Cornette on Twitter last night

I also woke up to lots and lots of LIO RUSH RUINED WRESTLING~! tweets this morning

From what I have heard - the Onita match came off a lot better in the building than the stream.

Oh and Zandig had a meltdown on Facebook over the Onita stuff

Haven't seen Onita/Tremont, but Tremont was working hurt; not sure how severely, but he probably gutted it out because he'd worked really hard to make the match happen. I'm not surprised it had to end up being a tag match to cover. 

46 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Janela/Darby was my match of the weekend, followed closely by Gunner/Riddle. Finals were great until that insipid german suplex spot(which turned out to not even be the dumbest spot in wrestling last night).

Fully agree on the best matches. For the finals, do you mean the Canadian Destroyer spot? That's what took me out of it. If not, will have to rewatch to see what you're talking about.

Yeah a bunch of controversies from Onita/Tremont:

1.  The common theory is that is CZW knew a long time ago that it was going to be a 6 man match even those they keep advertised it as a singles match.  That wouldn't surprise me and yeah it is pretty scummy given the general admission prices alone were $45 and $40 for a pre show meet and greet

2.  After the match Onita cut a promo wanting Tremont to come to Japan to have a real explosion death match.  He was constantly yelling CHEAP in the promo.  given that he was the ones providing the explosives that leads to another theory is that Onita knowing that there was a match in Japan that he would only give CZW a little taste of the explosion and then blame the company for it.  Given that the match was in the Flyers Skate Zone and not DJ Hyde's backyard should have been a clue

The match itself wasn't that great given that Tremont just got out of the hospital and Onita is so damn broken down but I don't think Onita sandbagged anything.  He didn't bleed alot if at all though

Zandig screaming about Onita and CZW fucking the fans is rather funny given that he promoted a PPV in 2000 I think involving a 6 man with Onita and Terry Funk that was cancelled that week and replaced with just a normal CZW show.  

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Fully agree on the best matches. For the finals, do you mean the Canadian Destroyer spot? That's what took me out of it. If not, will have to rewatch to see what you're talking about.

The Canadian Destroyer deal was pretty bad too, but the 6 or so Germans that were completely no-sold really soured me.

Has that Zandig rant been posted any where, I looked on facebook but found nothing.

It's a shame Ichiro Yaguchi's best matches are all in obscure groups, SPWF, Shin FMW and so on. As for Hosaka the guy could work and has been in some very good matches.

If I spent $45 to go to that show, $40 for a meet up, and whatever else for merch, food, and tolls, I woulda wanted to have words with Hyde.

As it stands now, it's almost admirable the level of fuckery Onita employed on CZW. That said, John "Hey, Let's Go To BJW And Steal Their Deathmatch Title and Almost Kill That Company" Zandig has no room to talk.

• Like 1