DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully you do.  I'm aiming to go both nights but might end up doing just tomorrow if Saturday's busy.  This is my first Shane cup so I'm curious to see how it is.  One good thing is this lessens the chances of them doing stupid shit and puts more focus on good/great matches.

• Like 1

Matt Tremont is one of the best promo guys on the indies and his 2017 bucket list tour of death match legends it continues as he is promoting his match against Tank at Anarchy Wrestling which I supposedly Tank's last match in I guess Cornelia, GA or the home of NWA Wildside and Anarchy.   

AIW is running Cleveland next week, pretty decent lineup. So many "under-the-radar" guys that can work:

• Young Studs, Mathew Justice & Jollyville Fuck-It’s vs. Garrison King, Joshua Bishop, Tre Lamar, Big Twan Tucker & Chase Oliver
  • Crazy Pain (Gringo Loco & Steve Pain) vs. To Infinity and Beyond (Cheech & Colin Delaney) vs. DJ Z & Laredo Kid vs. Ninja Elite Squad (Flip Kendrick & Facade) (AIW Tag Titles)
  • The Duke vs. Dominic Garrini
  • ‪"Filthy" Tom Lawlor VS. Eddie Kingston
  • Frankie Flynn vs. PB Smooth
  • Alex Daniels vs. Joey Janela (AIW Intense Title)
  • Shayna Baszler VS. Mia Yim (AIW Women's Title)

I'm guessing they'll also do something with Tim Donst / Tracy Williams / Louis Lyndon / Josh Prohibition for the AIW Title as well. 

Plus, Arn Anderson meet and greet before the show.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I refuse to get excited about anything named after Shane Shamrock

FWIW I honestly couldn't care less about the guy, I'm just going for some good wrestling and to see maybe Lio's last time there (if the rumors are true)

if you can't make it to Maryland for Night 1 then there is a great NOVA pro wrestling show tonight.  Lots of really fun matches:

Ladder Match for PWI Ultra J Title -  Chet Sterling defends title against Logan Easton LaRoux

Grudge Match - Beau Crockett vs Innocent Isaiah

Feud Renewed - Matt Cross debuts against Sonjay Dutt

First Time in NOVA -  The Ugly Ducklings (Lance Lude and Rob Killjoy) vs The Gymnasty Boys (Timmy Lou Retton and White Mike) <can't wait for this one :) >

Special Attraction Title vs Title match - Tim Donst vs David Starr

Ladies Action - Angelus Layne vs Brittany Blake

Rory Gulak vs Jon Kermon

I think Ark Royal has a gauntlet match where if he wins he gets Laroux at next show

Hey you mock but that "lady" threw a fireball at the promoter of Nova Pro tonight.   Never ever thought I would see a fireball spot in a Virginia indie promotion.   Since they don't allow blood that has to be the absolute limit 

Just got back from MCW's Shane Shamrock Cup.  The matches for the most part were pretty good and the BS wasn't as bad because of the focus on the tournament.   The highlights were seeing Rock N' Roll Express last night tearing it up, they're still pretty great at getting the crowd into it.  Then tonight Ricky Steamboat came out and his punches and chops were still so damn gorgeous.  I would be over the moon to see him wrestle again as I think he'd still have it in him.  As for the finals it was a good match with Lio, Joey Matthews (made his comeback last night) Shaheem Ali, Joey Janella, Anthony Henry and Brandon Scott in it.   The story was that Matthews had an injured leg.  After hanging around outside for awhile he got back in and it was down to him and Lio.  Joey low blowed him and won causing a lot of chaos.  It was an effective heel turn and it led to confusion as to what happens from here.

As for Lio he couldn't say he signed with WWE (he told me last night he's still thinking about it which was odd)  I read he's got the physical coming up so I guess once he passes then they can announce it.  But everybody sensed this was it for him and after the show many were gathered around for pictures/autographs.  It's crazy to think that the dude calls MCW his home base yet has made one helluva name for himself.  I feel really glad knowing this MCW dude signed with WWE, and I'm hoping he interacts in NXT with Velveteen Dream (another MCW alum)  I know Nova Pro has some cool shit going on (that fireball would have been interesting to see live) but MCW's a damn good company that I'll always go to.

Oh, and in September they have Goldberg signing autographs at the next show.  I can only imagine how much tickets would be for that.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, Super Ape said:

So CHIKARA had a show on Saturday, and Quack announced a surprise show on Father's Day, featuring an eight-man technicians tournament in tribute to Johnny Kidd (it's even called the Johnny Kidd Invitational), and they announced ZSJ/Quack and Riddle/Hallowicked as first-round matches, as well as the last active World of Sport wrestler being in the tournament.

This ended up being super, super fun (if you're into mat stuff) with quite a few really entertaining matches, the best of which not necessarily being the ones you might expect. Rory Gulak and Travis Huckabee rolling around the mat in the first round might have brought me more joy than any of those name guys, actually.

• Like 1

By the way - here is the best fucking part

Besides Keith Lee coming in as the Angel of Death - for the folks who might be all INTERGENDER - TOOL OF THE DEVIL!!!! Angelus has been saying on Twitter for months that Keith Lee was her dream match and that a promoter needed to book it

I love this promotion

Whatculture Pro Wrestling has uploaded the entire Japan Qualifier show for the Pro Wrestling World Cup to their YouTube channel..

Ishii vs. Rampage starts at around the one hour and forty-five minute mark so it looks like they worked about a fifteen minute match.

The full shows for the German, UK, Scottish, and Canadian Qualifiers are also available..

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:09 AM, hammerva said:

Hey you mock but that "lady" threw a fireball at the promoter of Nova Pro tonight.   Never ever thought I would see a fireball spot in a Virginia indie promotion.   Since they don't allow blood that has to be the absolute limit 

I was at a NWA Virginia show where the main event got called early when Sean Denny bled hardway.

I'm surprised there hasnt been more talk about Indy's streaming they're shows on Twitch. Groups like Wrestlecircus seem to be using the subscription model (subscribing to the channel) instead of doing the IPPV route. So far I've watched Wrestlecircus and Hoodslam on Twitch and it looks like it could be a great way to get eyeballs on shows. It may even help the crew some as at least Wrestlcircus is giving whatever "bits" (Twitch Currency) directly to the performers in the ring when the donation happens. Apparently Twitch sees big things for Indy wrestling on the platform, as they try to become more then just the video game streamer.

• Like 1